Monday, September 1, 2008

MISSION 4 MONDAY

A new-found blogging friend named Peggy is starting a new meme today called Mission 4 Monday. I met Peggy through Spiritual Sundays

The mission I want to introduce you to is the Kulpahar Kids' Home in Kulpahar, India. The last church we worked with before we retired has been a sponsor of this work for over 60 years. 

Would you believe that this mission was not only started by two women but has been run entirely by women all this time. 

The beginning of this mission is a very interesting exciting one. It is a long story, of course, since it begins back in the 1940's, but I'll try to give you a capsule version. 

This mission was started by two young ladies in their 20's who went to India with the intentions of staying at least 3 years. Their names were Leah and Dolly. Leah will celebrate her 90th birthday in October, and she has been there all this time. Dolly passed away several years ago. She is buried in a little cemetery by their church. Two other women have joined Leah since the mission was started. Their names are Linda and Sharon. 

They have raised hundreds of Indian children who have gone on to become doctors, teachers, nurses, etc. They are making a difference for Christ in a country that is primarily Hindu and Muslim. 

The history of this mission and what they are doing now is nothing less than miraculous. My husband and I visited there in 1999 and spent about three weeks. The second picture is one of my husband and I with Leah as she celebrated her birthday while we were there. Incidentally, I celebrated my birthday that year there as well. Leah's birthday is four days after mine. 
This is a picture of the girls' hostel. 


Clif, Charlotte & Leah

Leah has come home every three years for the last several decades. I say comes "home". Actually she has been in India so long that it is her real home. This last picture was taken at the church during her last visit to the United States. The outfit I have on was made for me while I was in India in 1999 by the tailor at the mission. 

Kulpahar Kids' Home has a website now. This is quite amazing when you consider that when the home was started, they didn't even have electricity. Here is the link to their site: KULPAHAR KIDS HOME . I hope you will  go there to find out more about the mission. 

I am grateful to Peggy for starting this meme and am anxious to find out about other missions.


12 comments:

  1. Mission 4 Monday welcomes you and blesses you Charlotte and For the Sake of the Child, Kulpahar Kids Home and these precious beautiful women, who have given much to the service of the Lord! I was so touched but your inspiring story of them, the photos and their site...I'm trying to type with tears in my eyes! May this bring honor & glory to Our Lord and a tribute to these women! I am blessed!
    I know this will bless others! I'm sure your birthday in 1999 was very memorable! May each birthday be blessed by this beautiful devotion!
    Thank you so much for joining and sharing! You'll never know how much
    you & Kulpahar Kids Home has touched my heart and Our Lord's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful work! My DIL is from India and she gathered donations for an orphanage in her home village when she went in January. She is from the NE section of India (Nagaland) & her father was a pastor for 50 years. She is a wonderful girl with a true heart for the Lord and is expecting her first baby in December.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful! God bless the Kulpahar Kids Home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing young women who would give their lives for the children.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this.
    bj

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a big investment that these women have put into their lives! I imagine that they have so loved this work and the people. My!! I think that people like this that give all they have are such a blessing!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte,

    Thank you for sharing this mission! My son recently adopted a child from India .. see 'I'm a grandparent'...his name is Alpesh. We love him to pieces! We are awaiting a letter from him now. I will give Joshua this website information and we will be praying for this Kulpahar Kid's Home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story. You have so many wonderful stories. Your blog is beautiful! It so fun changing things around it's like decorating.
    Have a nice evening,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  9. What amazing young women who gave their lives for this special mission! Thanks for sharing this information.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    (btw...I love your new "look".)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a precious mission, bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE hearing how God uses "plain, ol cornbread folks" (as our Pastor would say) to accomplish His works!

    Our church has a family that is heavily into India Missions. They belong to an organization that digs wells. Our Pastor has begun going over there (Mumbai) once a year for the last couple of years now. It has impacted him greatly.

    This last trip (Feb) he had 6 different people from 6 different parts of the country share the same Word that God had put on their hearts regarding him. Every single one said the same thing which also confirmed what he had been hearing as well.

    "God is about to do something big in our church and we need to be preparing for it". He went on a 90 day Sabbatical over the summer and just came back. The Holy Spirit has exploded over North Texas, our church began with 12 families 8 years ago and we have 3 campuses and over 10,000 people in attendance now! It's hard to imagine what God is about to do in our midst but I for one am super excited!

    So many times we hear how complacent the Church is, especially in places where there is no strife or opposition. It seems easier to "see" God moving in churches where that is the case.

    Whether oppression or affluence, God remains the same. He is active and involved and it's exciting when all of God's people get on board!

    Have a blessed week!

    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charlotte, what a wonderful ministry these women has started in India! It is really encouraging to read of how God has used them so mightily to minister to so many children that they may know Christ and live for Him. Thanks for sharing with us! So glad to meet you through Mission 4 Monday. Take care and God bless!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte