Wednesday, September 24, 2008

VINTAGE THINGIES THURSDAYS














Can you believe those glasses? These are the first ones I ever had. I was working as a secretary in 1956 and needed them for typing. I'm glad I have this picture made back then. Most of the pictures of me back then were without glasses because I didn't wear them all the time. I'm so glad the styles of glasses have changed. I think they actually got worse before they got better. I like the styles now but they will probably look ridiculous in another 50 years or so. No, it won't take that long. Probably another 5 years. Don't you just love the glasses Sarah Palin wears? Makes me want to go out and buy a new pair. But I just bought a pair a couple of months ago, so I probably won't get another pair for another couple of years. 


I'm glad I kept those old glasses. Here's what they look like now. One of the rhinestones is missing. One of the arms doesn't match. I remember one of them breaking and they couldn't replace it with one like the original so they gave me one that was similar. The rhinestones that are left look terrible. They were nice and shiny 50 years ago. I guess they held up about as well as I did though, maybe better. 

For more Vintage Thingies visit the Apron Queen.



22 comments:

  1. I can't believe you saved those glasses. I like Palin's glasses too! But I am a contact girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom wore those glasses from the mid 50s to the early 70s! I think she still has them.
    I'm a contact gal myself, but have glasses for just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those glasses. I bought some glassed kinda like that and had them made into sun glasses. I loved them. I'm not sure what happened to them. I wish I held onto things like you.
    Have a great day,
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those glasses! They remind me of what Marty Maraschino wore in grease :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them...oh sooo chic!!! Great that you've kept them :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are great. And it is amazing you saved them after all this time. I think they would be so cute left out on a vanity or old dresser. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have pictures of me in some of these outdated frames. Fashion comes & goes.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you were gorgeous in your glasses way back when. I have worn glasses since I was about 13 years old, so I can retrace eye glass fashions over the years, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so vintage fabulous! I like them. I wish I had kept my first pair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I started wearing glasses at age 14. It's fun to see the designs from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute!! Loved seeing them. Blessings to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that style eye glasses. They sure do look funny now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was looking for new glasses in January, I found a lot that had rhinestones on them! I think it's a trend that's coming back in fashion. I think it's so neat you kept them AND have a wonderful photo of you wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like those glasses-very chic. The 1980s were the worst-my kids always laugh when they see pictures of me from then.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the picture and the glasses! I love that you kept them! I wore glasses all through childhood and even now when I'm not wearing contacts. I never kept my old glasses because they were from the 80s and let's be honest about the style of glasses from the 80s - they're UGLY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those glasses are classics! I love 'em. My mom has some great ones from the 60's. But, I agree with Miri that the 80's were the worst styles... and I have the pix to prove it :) Ditto on Sarah Palin!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for dropping by my blog. I did visit the site with your Hull vase. Aren't we so lucky to have these pretty antique vases? Take care.l

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahahaaa...I laugh because I have a pair just like them...somewhere. In my cedar chest, I think. Yes, we called the Cat Eyes and they looked pretty cool...back then!

    Thanks for reminding me of the
    50's again. I graduated in '56 and we had our 50th class reunion in 2006. Wish now I had thought to wear those old glasses! haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Nice glasses! hehe

    I do like Sarah Palin's - very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would be in heaven if I had those glasses! I think they are magnificent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are cool glasses, Charlotte - you looked pretty in them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! I want some of those Sara Palin glasses too! I wonder if the power comes with them too!!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte