Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord in Vain

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

I Googled Ten Commandments and guess what came up? This explanation for the 3rd commandment - "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain."  I could not believe it when I read this. I guess it should not surprise me though because there are so many people who think nothing at all of saying "Jesus Christ" or "God damn it" or even as Jeremiah Wright has said, "God damn America." Here is the article I found:

The Third Commandment

We all know it. So highly symbolic are the Ten Commandments that almost all human beings on earth - even non-Christians - are aware of their existence. It is mostly because of the third commandment that shouting ‘Jesus Christ’ in conversation is frowned upon. I’d like to challenge that notion.

Does your God think less of you or possibly even punish you if you utter ‘Jesus Christ’ or ‘God damn it’? That’s too bad. Mine doesn’t! My God does not exhibit human-like pettiness. He does not care whether his name is used as an expression of surprise, anger or frustration. My God does not view uttering ‘Jesus Christ’ as a sign of disrespect. The need for respect from others is purely a human notion. God transcends all human reactions and emotions. He’s an entity that is much more grand than that.

Trust me folks. Your God cares much more about other things: kindness and helpfulness toward others; supporting those in need; sense of awe at his creations; sympathy; empathy; humility. You get the idea.

Who decided that the third commandment means saying ‘Jesus Christ’ is a blasphemous act? I want to meet that person. That’s just silly. Did that person talk to God personally? Who’s to say that the correct interpretation of this commandment should not be “You are not to make use of the name of the Lord your God for an evil purpose.” That would make much more logical sense. Here’s an example. In the dark ages, the church punished, in the name of God, those who did not believe the earth was the center of the universe. See what I mean? Here’s a more recent example: clergies abusing boys and covering it up.

That last sentence sounded so like liberal thinking. Just because clergies abusing boys and covering it up is a horrible thing, it doesn't mean that taking God's name in vain is just fine and dandy. Maybe you could argue that God is more interested in how we treat other people. Does that mean that using his name as a curse word is OK because we might think something else is worse? Does God want us to respect others, but show disrespect for Him? How can anybody think that way? 

Something I've thought about for a long time. Why is it only "Jesus Christ" and "God" that people say when they want to curse? Why not Mohammed, or Buddha or some other religious icon? I think this proves - at least it does to me - that all those others are false. To use their name would mean nothing.  You wouldn't get the "shock value". 

I want to show respect to all people but especially to the creator of the earth who loved us so much that he came to earth and died to save us. Think about it.

It is so true - THEY JUST DON'T GET IT

16 comments:

  1. I read the article and it does make sense to me in a way. I'm not one who says GD or Jesuuuuus but am constantly saying OH my God. Very interesting - food for thought. Blessings, Nancy
    I stopped by for PS, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was raised by a very strict, god loving woman of Catholic faith, and if I would have said anything in vain against the Lord I would have been whipped, sent to my room and my mouth washed out with soap!!!

    Hope your Sunday is glorious dear Charlotte!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved the video!! GREAT!! I so believe that Sarah has what it takes. I am so praying that she does and so praying that they get elected!! Thanks for the video...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing a very relevant topic. God's name is above all and should always be reverenced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can find anything your want when you Google! This was amazing! The comment:

    Who decided that the third commandment means saying ‘Jesus Christ’ is a blasphemous act? I want to meet that person. That’s just silly. Did that person talk to God personally?

    This person evidently never read the Bible so they really do not know who decided. Those kind of people are posting their ignorance all over the internet. Amazing! Just amazing!

    Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe anyone would write that about the 3rd commandment. I wonder who did write that~!

    Hope you are having a good Sunday, Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings Charlotte...HIS NAME is Blessed and to be respected & revered above all else and certainly not taken profanely or casually or with disrespect. But this is the age we live in and it is not just with liberals. This saddens me and I'm sure it does Our Lord.

    When you Google anything...watch out! You can be sure you will find
    extreme viewpoints...you have to be very discerning, I've found out the hard way. A lot of trashy ideas. When we live in a society that no longer shows respect to Our Heavenly Father, one God...why would we ever wonder why people & children are so disrespectful!
    People will justify anything.
    We allow Freedom of Speech & Press, but it has gotten way out of hand...they will allow words like this but not God's Word.

    Pray for these people & our nation!

    Thank you for sharing! & also the excellent video. They will twist and turn and take anything out of context, even God's Word!

    Enjou a Spiritual Sunday & a wonderful week in the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great deal of my church stays in contact with one another on Facebook. We are able to give each other Pieces of Flair which are little buttons that are either pre-made or self-made. One button read, "If you feel like using someone's name in vain, try using your own. God" Now, that makes someone think, doesn't it?

    Great post, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Charlotte,

    Whoa this post was deep! The name of the Lord is so holy and those who don't know him or his love, will just use it in profanity and to damn someone one to hell with it. The trouble I have is with those who profess to have a relationship with him and still use his name in vain.
    I don't know how the Lord feels, like you said no one has ever had a face to face talk with him about it. The one thing that I wonder about is this..
    If my heart hurts and I cannot stand to be in the presence of hearing whatever bad names he is called, I wonder if his heart hurts just as well.
    Thank you Charlotte for a post that makes us think and maybe even will help us to have respect and revernce towards his name.

    I'm sorry I did not get to do a spiritual sunday this week. But will conitnue on next week.

    Hugz Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post!I think that people are so self centered that they just DO NOT CARE. I get offended when people I work with choose to talk this way. Although it happens very very rarely because they know it bothers me.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cringe when I hear someone say, "Oh my G..." I think I've trained my ears. I especially don't like it when they say Jesus Christ in a swearing way or tone.

    This video was so good!!! Thanks for sharing it. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree. When my Savior's name is used in a disrespectful/hateful way one is taking the Lord's name in vain. For that matter, using His name in any other fashion other than in sorrow--realizing your need for a Savior--and in worship and adoration, is taking His name in vain.

    Funny and sad your accurate observation using The Lord's name and not say, Buddha, or even Satan.

    It's too late for me to be reading this, Charlotte, it gets my blood boiling to soon before bed!!! ;)

    Have a great week!
    God bless,
    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. ot--I wanted to tell you that we were in Mesa over the weekend for my mil's 80th birthday. Of course, and the point of this comment, my tummy is full with In 'N Out burger!
    God bless,
    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI--Loved the comments you made about the 3rd commandment and the video. It is amazing how far much of the media has no understanding of history if nothing else!! The have no understanding that separation of Church and State is not separation from religion.

    Reverence, is something which Americans sometimes lack and it certainly carries over in their concepts of God.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was raised in a very loving family where my father was the head usher, and both of my parents were CEO teachers~ it always a good reminder about the ten commandments~ thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This past weekend I had several discussions about the ten commandments. Simple rules God gave Mosses for us to live by, they are slowly disappearing from our lives. I was taught not to take God's name in vain, I shudder when I hear a person taking God's name in a nasty way, it makes me sad inside.

    Great post Charlotte! A wonderful reminder to me :).

    Have a blessed day!
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte