Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A Closer Look

Picture of Hubby & me at the Pyramids in Egypt, carved figure of Moses and a clay jar replica of Dead Sea Scrolls pot, with miniature scroll inside, from Israel. Also a piece of petrified wood from Arizona I believe. The old bricks used for bookends are from my husband’s great grandfather’s home in Kentucky. We visited there a few years ago, and saw the ruins of what was once a beautiful brick home. (That is an interesting story for another time.) We brought these two pieces of brick home with us.

Camel is from Israel. The black pot is from Ethiopia.

The greenish colored pot is one our son made in grade school. The mug was given to my husband by our missionary in India as was the beautiful ivory letter opener with the carved elephants. The letter opener had belonged to her father, so this was very special. Someone knocked it off of his desk at church and broke some of the little elephants off. He was very upset when this happened because he was so proud of it and had taken good care of it. He was not in his office when it happened. Little wooden vase on the end is from Ephesus. (Looks like it needs to be dusted.)

Wonder what that black spot is below the letter opener? That's a mite. You know, like the Widow's mite in the Bible. It is very tiny - so tiny none of the engraving on it shows in the photo.
Tomorrow: a few more "looks" around the room.

4 comments:

  1. Charlotte, You have many beautiful things from various parts of the world. That letter opener is very special. It is sad that it got knocked of the desk. That cup from India is so pretty. I like the little green bowl your son made also.

    It is so nice the you could go see the pyramids with your husband.

    The widow's mite is a treasure and the true story behind it is priceless. I've never seen a photo of one, so I'm glad you showed yours.

    Good evening Charlotte. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte~
    So nice to meet you. Thank you for your comment over on my blog!
    My, you all have some great souvenirs, don't you?!? Amazing. And each one meaningful in its own way.
    I see, too that you enjoy 'Victoria' magazine. You know, I work in a gift shop that's part of an old antebellum house-turned-restaurant in Ga and we've recently put together some applications to represent the company Alda's in a big way in 'Victoria'. We're really excited about it. I'll have to let you know if we make it in there! :)

    ~jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so neat to collect things from other countries or states that you visit.
    The bricks will always have special memories.
    I hope you're enjoying your week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, You have so.. many nice keepsakes. I know you love having them around you. Your husbands office is very nice. Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte