This lovely couple from our church brought us all these cacti from their yard and planted them for us right after we moved here 18 years ago. Bessie was known as the cactus lady. She was a real cactus expert. She passed away several years ago. These two people were really special to us.The tallest cactus is a little saguaro. They grow very very slowly but they grow very very big and very very old. In the next picture you can see how much it grew in 18 years. Not a lot. The two barrel cacti have gotten almost as big as the saguaro. Some of the other varieties are gone now. One of the totem poles grew so high that it blew over and broke during a monsoon.
I didn't know those were called Totem Poles.
ReplyDeleteOne time when I came back up to Phonex, Mac R. approched me and told me he was mad at me. I gave him a piece of cactus called something like "Gigantus Humongous" I really have no idea what it called. Anyway, He said he just threw a bucket of water on it every now and then and it is taking over his yard. Well, almost.
Charlotte, I am so glad you dropped by. I am in love with your beautiful blog. It touches my soul. I spent 7 1/2 years in the San Diego area. My mil & fil have a 2nd home in Mesa, AZ. I can see you love for flowers, your home, family and god in your blog. I feel honored to meet you. I will drop in again. Have a wonderful evening. Terrie
ReplyDeleteThat is sweet and now everytime you look at them you think of her.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, How special that they planted those for you and that they were from there garden.
ReplyDeleteHave a great day,
ginger
I found your blog from Terri's - and I love all your beautiful pictures! I live in CO, and have visited AZ. I'm a PK and an MK - grew up in a parsonage. Actually, right now I'm writing about my childhood in China (where my parents were missionaries). Stop by and visit sometime.
ReplyDeleteBlessings! Ruthie
That's nice to have cactus in the garden ! It looks so "holiday" to me. They wouldn't grow here, too much rain and cold !
ReplyDeleteWith my brother and his family living out there, I have been to your beautiful part of the country a lot. Those cactus really did grow. I know they are everywhere out there. Hope your day is going good!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings, Sandy
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet story and sweet friend you had in Bessie. The yard looks great. I've been to AZ twice and enjoy seeing all the different kinds of cactuses or cacti??
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete