Today would have been my mother's 95th birthday. Today's post is dedicated to her memory. She always liked the picture above. I think she was beautiful. She was a beautiful woman - outside, but especially inside. She was a real "people" person. She loved people and they loved her. She was always thinking of what she could do for somebody else. I wish I was more like her, but I'm afraid in this way I am more like my Dad. In case you're wondering why the Dolly Parton song is playing first this morning, (Coat of Many Colors) I put it at the top because everytime I hear it, I cry. Silly Charlotte, why would you want to cry? It makes me think of my mother. We were not as poor as Dolly but we never had much money when I was growing up, and I know my mother sacrificed many times so that I could have something nice.
This is one of my earliest photos of my mother and me together. It was taken in one of those little booths where you put the money in and out comes a strip of photos. I can remember when I was a kid everytime I saw one of them I wanted to have pictures taken. I have always liked pictures, and I especially like this one.
I think this picture exemplifies my mother's life. She was a worker. Of course this picture was taken in the years before clothes dryers - or at least before she had one.
This is one of her last birthdays. I like this picture because she looks so happy to be with her grandson - her only grandson - on her birthday.
How I wish she was here today so I could hug her and wish her a Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday Mom. Actually I didn't call her Mom, I always called her Mommy and later Granny because that was what everyone in the family started calling her even before she had grandchildren. Some of her nieces and a nephew started calling her that because they didn't have a living grandmother and they "adopted" her as their Granny. Incidentally, that nephew is now married to Ginger of Enchanting Cottage.
Oh Charlotte, how I relate to the song and your sweet story of your mom.
ReplyDeleteI even posted today about being born in the hills of WV. I wanted to write more and my computer wouldn't cooperate.
Congats! on your award. You are deserving of it.
I love those old pictures also. I have many that my mom left behind. Every time I can't think of anything to share I have a tiny thought of copying what you put up but that wouldn't be nice so I resist. Of course there is that good looking son of yours to take a peek of also. As one of your friends say, "It's all good.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, You touch my heart in so many ways. I'm so glad I found a friend in you. I love the "Dolly pardon" song. I can really relate. I want to wish your "mommy" a "Happy Birthday". I still have my mom. But, I lost my dad about 4 years ago. I still cry often when something makes me think of him. I love the pictures. What a cute little girl you were. And your mom was beautiful. I love the one of her hanging clothes. It made me think of my great.. grandma. I remember helping her hang clothes. I miss her very much!! Lat your mommy memories bring you much happiness today and always.
ReplyDeleteYour friend, Terrie
Charlotte, I will be thinking about you today, I know it must be hard. Granny was by far one of the most humble people that I have known. I was truly blessed that I had the chance to get to know her, and you as well. You have blessed my life in ways you don't even know thank-you for that.
ReplyDeleteGod bless you
ginger
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful woman. She is so pretty. She reminds me of the actress who played in It's A Wonderful Life; the sister-in-law, who he said, "She's Peach." Did she look similar to that pretty woman to you?
ReplyDeleteI love the picture of the two of you. How sweet! I love that song by Dolly. It makes me cry too.
I'm so happy you have memories of a loving mother. Blessings to you, Charlotte. From, Kathi PS tomorrow is show and tell at Kelli's house. Check my blog tomorrow, and then if you have time tonight visit the blog called There's No Place Like Home. Kelli has a show and tell every Friday. It's lots of fun and you'll meet some nice Christian women. You can find her site along my side bar.
What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful mom! What a special lady she was.
ReplyDelete~Kelli
I love that song. I sang that song all my life.To my babies as I rocked them and now to my grandkids.What an awesome song.
ReplyDeleteYour mom was a beautiful lady. The glow in her eyes is amazing. I see that glow in your eyes.
A lovely post about your mom. What a nice tribute to her.
ReplyDeleteI liked the hanging up the clothes photo because I still do that. In fact my mom (who I still call mommy) sent me a poem about the clothes line and I posted it on my blog today. :-)
Charlotte, your Mom was indeed beautiful and so are you! I loved seeing all the photos, especially the one of you and your Mom taken in the booth.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Kat
what a beautiful tribute to your mother...she is gorgeous in the pictures you have showed!!!
ReplyDeleteThe pictures of your mom are wonderful. I'm sure they bring back many happy memories.
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I always enjoy reading them.
Have a lovely weekend!
Charlotte Honey, she must have been so special! I am sorry you don't have your Mom anymore. She was a gorgeous lady, and raised a wonderful daughter.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
Granny HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUUU...........From an OLE' Oklahoma girl. Charlotte were in OK did you live?
ReplyDeletewhat a lovely post for your mom. I lost mine, too, and miss her terribly. No one can ever replace the empty spot that our moms left.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you and your family.
Your new blogging friend, Ruthie
This is so touching! What a beautiful woman! She looks like she was so filled with love.
ReplyDeleteKJ
California
This post has touched my heart so.... and I have learned alot. Your mother was a lovely lady, and the pictures are just priceless. You both look so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteAnd I found out that Ginger is married to the handsome grandson.
It really was so nice to hear the story of your mother.
Note to Gigi:
ReplyDeleteGinger is married to my mother's sister's son not her grandson.
Charlotte
Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love the pictures on this post! Your Mother is so beautiful and you get your good looks from her, I'm sure. The one of her hanging clothes reminds me of the one I have of my Mother in our backyard. Great post! Thanks!
~Hugs,
Jean
You and your Mother are gorgeous in the booth picture. That is a treasure.
ReplyDeleteI miss my Mother, too. She has been gone for 7 months.
Thanks for sharing the tribute.