Wednesday, April 16, 2008

In the Back Yard

This rose bush behind the pool wasn't blooming when the picture in yesterday's post was taken. It is really pretty now. Roses do well here in the spring and fall and even winter. In the summer when it gets really hot, they get really stressed out. There are less blooms and they are much smaller. But the poor little bush struggles through the summer and revives again when it gets cooler. This is an ocotillo plant in the corner. I think it is pretty when it gets these orange blooms out on the end. The birdbath in the left corner was in our backyard in California for many years. We've been here 18 years, so it is getting pretty old. Soon I can call it my antique birdbath. I guess a lot of things around here are getting to be antique - including me. In the right hand corner is a bouganvilla. It will soon look like it does in the picture below. It would take over the whole area if you let it. We have to keep cutting it back. It freezes and looks terrible in the winter, but in the summer it never gets too hot for it. The hotter it gets the more it thrives.

This picture was taken years ago. The cacti are much larger now. Sometime today I'll go out and take a picture and post it tomorrow.



4 comments:

  1. Your roses are beautiful. Do you but fresh roses in your home from your rose bush? It is so good to be back. Although I did get a lot of reading done while I was away.
    Take care,
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful roses. I can't grow anything, the kids can, but if i touch it dies! I dib't have a green thumb, I have a brown one instead lol! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember those beautiful back yards in Scottsdale. Remember mine? It was purported (when we bought the house) to have 57 different roses. I also remember the work it took to keep it looking nice. I now love dirt, sand, creosote bushes and mesquite trees. The work only belongs to God and I like it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roses are beautiful, as is your yard. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. I hope you enjoy the magazine site. My son-in-law is candidating at a small church in San Bernardino for Senior Pastor position this week. Were you anywhere near that location while in CA?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte