Wednesday, February 20, 2008

MARY

I venture into other areas of writing, but always seem to come back to dolls. I have so many dolls to write about, but this one isn’t about one of my dolls. It’s about a doll that belongs to my daughter.

Way back before I ever dreamed of making porcelain dolls, I made this doll for my daughter. I made it for her for Christmas when she was seven years old. She still has the doll and thinks it was one of the best Christmas presents she ever got. She named her Mary.

My Aunt Ruth made a life size rag doll for me when I was about 10 years old. It was beautiful. She made one like it for one of my cousins. Boy, I wish I still had that doll. I don’t remember what I did with it. I probably thought I had outgrown dolls and got rid of it. I didn’t realize that I never would truly outgrow dolls. My all time very favorite doll was a Sparkle Plenty doll that I got for Christmas one year. Actually it was the last doll I would receive for Christmas. Younger people than I will have no idea what a Sparkle Plenty doll was. It was all the rage back in 1947. It had what was called “magic skin” and yellow yarn hair. My parents and I drove all the way to Long Beach to a Bullocks store to buy it. After we brought it home, it was put up in the closet until Christmas. I talked my Mom into letting me look at it a couple of times before I got to have it for good. I did love that doll.

5 comments:

  1. I too never outgrew my dolls, my all time favorite when I was a child was my Betsy McCall doll.
    I took a few moments to look at your slide show, just beautiful…
    Do you make all the outfits as well?

    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. You you wonderful memories. I'm sure I must of got at least one doll for Chritsmas. I just don't remember the doll. I just love her little shoes they are soo~~~~ cute.
    Thank-you for sharing her with us.
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank-you, I like my new banner also. I just posted her link on my sidebar.She charges $5.00 for her banners some may be $7.00. I bought 3 one of them are for Easter. I wanted to learn how to make my own with all the codes but decided my brain could not do it. She has some pretty ones. I emailed the Weather Widget and they said they have lots of complaints and there working on it, so until then I guess I won't have the Weather. I liked it, it was nice knowing what the weather was.
    Have a wonderful night,
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were cleaning out a storage trailer today and I found these ugly faced little dolls that my grandmother had given my daughters. my cousin and I laughed about them together because she had given us so many of them and they really are ugly. She died three years ago and now those awful little dolls are a treasure. I hadn't thought much about it but they may make it onto a post on my site! My brother and his wife are expecting and she is a doll collector. I was able to give her some of the porcelain dolls that my grandmother had given me as well. I think, by the way she gave dolls as gifts, that she had a doll collectors spirit! Thanks for making me think...Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, you have a lovely blog! I used to live in Arizona too in Sierra Vista. As far as dolls went in my life, I don't remember having too many, we were military and with all the moving we did not get to keep alot, but I definately do remember the "Barbie doll" era of my life. I do remember wanting a "Bride" doll though. Thanks for visiting my blog too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte