I have been doing so much reminiscing since I started writing this blog that the following prayer by Ken Gire in his book Windows of the Soul seemed appropriate. It’s called A Prayer for Remembrance.
Help me, O God
Help me, O God
To understand that when objects in the rear-view mirror appear
larger than they are,
they appear that way not to intimidate me
but to get my attention.
Help me to understand that those images looming in my memory
are just trying to get me to stop, turn around, and go back to my past,
to pick up something that’s back there,
something that is essential for the journey I am on,
something I need if I am to go on any farther.
Help me to remember the love I have received along the way,
and to be remembered for the love I have given.
Help me to understand how short that journey is,
and slow me down so I don’t pass any of it by.
And if you grant me the grace of a long life,
grant me the greater grace
to always remember who I am
and who it is that loves me . . .
they appear that way not to intimidate me
but to get my attention.
Help me to understand that those images looming in my memory
are just trying to get me to stop, turn around, and go back to my past,
to pick up something that’s back there,
something that is essential for the journey I am on,
something I need if I am to go on any farther.
Help me to remember the love I have received along the way,
and to be remembered for the love I have given.
Help me to understand how short that journey is,
and slow me down so I don’t pass any of it by.
And if you grant me the grace of a long life,
grant me the greater grace
to always remember who I am
and who it is that loves me . . .
Jo, That brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely prayer. I will have to but that book on my bookshelf.
ReplyDeleteThank-you,
ginger