Tuesday, February 12, 2008

From a Horse to a Camera

When I was in high school back in Oklahoma, there was a roller skating rink way out in the country called Lost Bridge. I went round and round at that skating rink probably thousands of times to the sounds of Hank Williams, Hank Thompson, Hank Snow and other country artists. (The Hanks come to mind.) We use to go there almost every night. I doubt seriously if it is there now. It has been over 50 years. There are probably houses, apartments or businesses where it stood.

Anyway, that was where I won a horse. No, it wasn’t for my skating ability, but because I had the winning ticket. I kept the horse for a few months and ended up selling it to the little brother of one of my uncles that lived about 85 miles from us. I sold the horse for $50.00. I used about half of it to purchase the Brownie Hawkeye camera. I don’t remember what I did with the rest of the money, but that camera was a good investment. $50.00 doesn’t seem like much for a horse, but this was way back in 1953.

Here is a picture of me and my little cousin Linda on the horse. By the way, the horse's name was Baby.

I just realized today marks one month of blogging. I posted my first one on January 12. What fun I've had and how great it has been to meet so many fellow bloggers.

5 comments:

  1. What a great story! You have so many good memories. The picture is so cute! I am glad to here that you only have one more shot to do. I hope it feels like normal when you are finished.
    Yes it is true the sidebar will keep me busy, that is one reason why I didn't post today was because I was to busy doing the sidebar. I guess I won't be chaning this templete for a long while.
    Have a wonderful day.
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your one month blogiversary!

    Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment.

    I love your story of trading a camera for a horse.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on one month of blogging. It is a lot of fun isn't it.

    You are as pretty then as you are now. What a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun memories...seems we all did the "Skating thing"...I broke my front tooth in half skating in the sixth grade at our "Roll-a-Rink" in Iowa when I hit a barrier wall. HA! Little known fact about me.
    Oh the blogging thing becomes a bit "addictive" I must say...but it's ALL GOOD. Nothing negative about it really...plus....your being creative and sharing your "life story." That's a good thing!
    Congrats and keep up the good work....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your memory. My skating "experience" was when I was skating along and the back wheels of one skate flew off across the rink and, of course, I ended up on my back side! Pride was the only thing hurt thankfully.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte