The first time I went to Knott’s, back in the 1940s, it was called Knott’s Berry Farm and Ghost Town. Can you believe it was all absolutely FREE, even parking. In fact, it was all free in the early 50s as well. It was such a fun place to go. As far as I’m concerned, they destroyed it when they started changing it into another Six Flags kind of place. Now it costs as much to go there as it does to go to Disneyland. Of course, I was just a kid in the 40s and my cousin who was a year older than I convinced me that there was a rocking chair on a porch there that rocked by itself. He was always trying to convince me of some wild story. He was the one that told me there wasn’t a Santa Claus. Of course I didn’t believe him and it made me very angry. (That's him, that's Jerry, in the covered wagon behind me in the picture.) I'm the one in the middle.
Yes, I loved that place in the “old days”, but now the only thing there I care about seeing is Virginia’s Gift Shop, and maybe eating at the chicken restaurant.
Here is a picture made in their “Pitcher Gallery” in about 1945 or 46. The girl in back on the left is now Ginger’s mother-in-law. Ginger, of course, is the Ginger of “Enchanting Cottage”. The younger girls on each side of me are cousins.
The other picture made there, the one on the horse, is me in the front, and my best friend Irene behind me. This one was made in about 1949.
Here is a picture made in their “Pitcher Gallery” in about 1945 or 46. The girl in back on the left is now Ginger’s mother-in-law. Ginger, of course, is the Ginger of “Enchanting Cottage”. The younger girls on each side of me are cousins.The other picture made there, the one on the horse, is me in the front, and my best friend Irene behind me. This one was made in about 1949.
Tomorrow I’ll tell you about “Sad Eye Joe”, one of the favorite attractions in Ghost Town.
I loved your stroll down memory lane. I grew up in southern California and went to Knotts lots of times as a kid. Last time I went was about 13 years ago when my oldest was just a toddler. It sure was different, but still a fun place to go. Next time I'm down there I think we will have to visit.
ReplyDeleteLisa
Thank you for reading! I enjoyed looking through your blog as well. Knott's Berry Farm just happens to be one of my favorite childhood memories...
ReplyDeleteBLESSINGS!!
~ kalepa ta kala
Hello, it's lovely to have you visit me all the way over here in England. Thank you for your kind comments on the tags I created,
ReplyDeleteWelcome to blogland, there are so many lovely blogs to visit - it could get addictive:)
I love your pictures on the ghost trail and your visits to India - that poor old bear probably just wanted to come home with you and not stay out on that dusty old road with those 2 gentlemen :))
I will come back to find out more on the Ghostly town.
best wishes Ginny