Monday, July 14, 2008

Sundays in Belgium

I spent one night in Brugge, Belgium in 1999 and fell in love with the place. We got there late in the afternoon. The tour was delayed. We were suppose to arrive early in the day. Anyway, I didn't get to take hardly any pictures there but I did take the one below from the tour bus through the front window as we were leaving and the one below that is a picture of the hotel where we stayed. 


Now - why am I talking about Belgium this morning? When I looked on my computer this morning, the first thing I saw was a comment from a dear lady that lives in Belgium on my blog yesterday. She said she noticed since she's been blogging that people in America go to church on Sundays. She said they don't do that in Belgium. In fact, she said she personally knows no one who goes to church. That is so sad. Since I've been going to church regularly, sometimes several times a week, since I was 10 years old, it is hard for me to imagine. I think Belgium is not that different from the rest of Europe. They have all those gorgeous cathedrals there that are basically just museums now. 

Many churches in America are thriving today. At the church we attend now about 2000 attend the service we go to. There are three other services besides the one we attend. The police direct traffic in and out of the parking lot there. Every Sunday is a wonderful spiritual experience. The music is great and the preaching even better. Our regular preacher was out of town yesterday so Tim Kimmel delivered the message. You may be familiar with Dr. Kimmel as he has written a lot of books. He is a member of our church. What a wonderful sermon he gave. I would love to hear him every Sunday.

Although Christianity seems to be thriving in America today, I am very concerned about the future of this nation. It seems to me the government is doing everything it can to keep God out of everything. They totally overlook the fact that this nation was founded on God's laws. They totally misinterpret the phrase "separation of church and state" and as a result, we are becoming more and more a secular nation. Big mistake!!! I pray that we will wake up before it is too late. We need to pray for Europe, the United States, and the whole world.

I have a picture of some flamingos that I intended to write about today, but that will have to wait. I thought this was more important.

Have a great week!


9 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte,
    I saw your comment on Cindy's blog at My Romantic home. I live in Phoenix and so I thought how fun that you have a blog to. You have a lovely spot here. Please come by and see mine. I think that I probably share many of the same views that you do.
    ~Liz~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Charlotte, I agree with you that we need to pray for the United States, and Europe. I had now idea that they did not go to church in Belgium, that makes me sad as well. About the book I was wondering if you read it. I was having a hard time deciding if I wanted to, but then I thought since it is fiction and have in my mind that it is fiction that it would be just another book.
    Have a great day,
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have to be sad. Most of the people believe in God and are Christians but they are fat up of the church. There is such a gap between God and church. The fact that State and Religion are two completely different things is because there are other religions than the Christian one, there are buddhists, muslims, etc. for them their religion is the right one too. Imagine if Bush would be a muslim and swear on the coran instead of the bible ! I don't think it would be very much appreciated by the christians !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Charlotte,
    It is hard to think about .... no one going to church...
    I just wanted to think you for your comment on my balloon shades... my commentor has since gone crazy....yours was the last comment I have been able to get...
    Hope you have a great week
    HUgs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Charlotte,
    Wow, that was interesting. I couldn't imagine NOT attending church on Sunday's faithfully. Or at least hearing the Word preached somehow.
    It's so true that our Country is so much in need of our prayers, now more than ever.
    God bless,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes you are so right!! We are thriving in Christianity right now but if SOME PEOPLE have their way we will be seeing a decline!! I am just praying that does not happen.
    We go to a large church too..5000 plus here in Savannah. We took have several services and have police direct people in and out every Saturday and Sunday. Hubby and i go on Saturday night first service. It took us a long time to learn this but like ti now.
    We certainly DO need to pray for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte ~
    wow ~ that is something that I didn't know about Belgium ~ I have also grown up going to church and live in Texas where people don't ask you if you go to church they ask you what church you go to ~ I love that!
    Your blog is beautiful and I am going to add you to my blog roll so I can visit more often ~
    thank you!
    xoxo,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Charlotte, Justabeachkat sent her readers over to meet you. I have enjoyed reading your blog. I also looked up Dr. Tim Kimmel. I had never heard of him but he has quite a few books out that look very interesting.

    I love your blog and will be back for another visit.
    Blessings,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte