Today I want to introduce you to my two oldest and “bestest” friends. Of course my first oldest and bestest friend is my husband. We first met in 1948 when I was 11 and he was 13.
Irene has been my friend since I was in the 6th grade. She was a little over a year older than I was. I first met Dorothy when I moved to Oklahoma in the 9th grade, and we became good friends. She was a year younger than I was. I have kept in touch with both of these friends all of these years. Irene was my friend in California, but now lives in Oregon. She spent most of the years in between in Brazil where she and her husband were missionaries. Dorothy left Oklahoma and lived in Arizona for several years, but now lives in Tennessee.
This picture was taken in 1954 in Oklahoma when my California friend (Irene) rode the bus to see me and attend my high school graduation. I’m so happy to have a picture of me with both of these friends.
We are all in our 70s now. I may or may not ever see these two friends again in this lifetime, but I sure expect to reunite with them and be best friends throughout eternity.
P.S. How about those hats (we also wore gloves). Can you imagine teenagers dressing like this today?
Irene has been my friend since I was in the 6th grade. She was a little over a year older than I was. I first met Dorothy when I moved to Oklahoma in the 9th grade, and we became good friends. She was a year younger than I was. I have kept in touch with both of these friends all of these years. Irene was my friend in California, but now lives in Oregon. She spent most of the years in between in Brazil where she and her husband were missionaries. Dorothy left Oklahoma and lived in Arizona for several years, but now lives in Tennessee.
This picture was taken in 1954 in Oklahoma when my California friend (Irene) rode the bus to see me and attend my high school graduation. I’m so happy to have a picture of me with both of these friends.
We are all in our 70s now. I may or may not ever see these two friends again in this lifetime, but I sure expect to reunite with them and be best friends throughout eternity.
P.S. How about those hats (we also wore gloves). Can you imagine teenagers dressing like this today?
I WISH teenagers dressed like that today....some of them wear so little at times. HA! Of course none of us could afford it at today's prices if they did dress that way. But it looks GRAND!
ReplyDeleteWhat a GREAT photo and what great memories....lovely heritage for your family. I like that.
Joyce
It would be neat if kids (and adults) dresses that way today---except I admit, I love jeans! I love comfort!
ReplyDeleteI too wish teenagers would dress like that. You have such wonderful memories. And your just as pretty now as you were back then.
ReplyDeleteginger
I went to a dinner and concert last night given by the middle school where my teenage grandaughter attends. The concert was a combination of the middle school and high school musicians. I could not have been more excited and proud. They did a wonderful job. The dress of those youngsters was just the same as it was in "our" day. They dressed just the same as everyone else their age. Just as we did. Wouldn't they stand out and be uncomfortable/embarrased/mortified to show themselves in pill box hats and gloves? Wouldn't WE have felt the same if we had dressed just as our mom's and grammies did? Ladies, relax a little.
ReplyDeleteConnie certainly has a point. My mother wore high heels to school when she was in high school. All I'm wondering is "How far will it go?"
ReplyDeleteWhat lovely memories. I hope that you have many more years with your friends.
ReplyDelete