Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Beginning of my Doll Making










When our son moved out of our home after graduating from college, I decided to turn his room into a sewing room. So - out went the waterbed. Up went the wallpaper (another thing I learned to do while living in Stockton, California.) I had loved to sew since I was about 10 years old when I learned to sew on a treddle sewing machine, making doll clothes incidentally. The theme I had chosen for my sewing room was "Love Makes the World Go Round".

When Carol Wyrick announced at church that she was going to start a class on making porcelain dolls, I was excited. I told her I wanted to make a clown doll for my sewing room. She said she recommended making two dolls at once because you could be painting one of them while the other one was being fired. So, reluctantly I started making two dolls. Here are those dolls. I no longer have the clown doll, but the other doll I named Gloria. I named all my dolls, but for the life of me I can only remember the names of a few of them now. I knew I should have written them down.

Picture at the right is the greenware for one of the dolls I made. This is how each doll started out. Carol had the molds and she made the greenware for the students. We smoothed them up and she took them home and fired them. Then she brought them back and we painted them in stages with firings inbetween.

3 comments:

  1. Your dolls are so pretty. I cliked on them to enlarge and your detail work is amazing. I love your music.I had Christmas music on my blog for the Holidays.
    Have a wonderful day
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.....so good to have you come and visit my blog all the way from Scottsdale! This blog world is fun isn't it? Actually I NEED to move to Scotsdale for my health I think..it's soooo humid here pretty much all the time. Blah!
    I like your blog! Keep up the good work. Interestingly enough....my Mother who is in the Midwest makes Doll's like yours..and LOVES to do that...and various types of ceramics too of course. She names her dolls as well. It's a lot of work I know but beautiful in the end and meaningful. That's so neat that they taught a class on it at your church! Thanks for commenting on my spot and I will be checking back in on yours!
    Be blessed,
    Joyce M.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is awesome. I never knew how dolls were made. Now I can not remember how long you have made dolls and if you are still making them?! Those are such beautiful dolls, tell us more about the painting of them etc. You are an artist--I can't believe those beautiful outfits. I can see that as you work on a doll you must become attached to her/him and it must seel like a real little being! Tell us more!! Oh and what kind of knee surgery did you have?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte