Plastic Pearls

Little four-year-old Jenny went shopping with her mother for household things. After they had shopped for everything, Jenny spotted a beautiful plastic pearl necklace by the checkout line. Mommy can I please have this necklace?, she asked. Well Jenny, if you do enough chores around the house, then you can earn some money and you can buy it yourself. So Jenny went home and did all kinds of chores for two weeks. She cleaned the bathrooms, picked weeds in the yard and even filled the water bowl for the dog. Finally, she had enough money to buy her own plastic pearl necklace.
After Jenny bought it, she wore it every second of every day. She swam with it on and slept with it too. She loved her pearl necklace very much. One night her father came into read her a bedtime story like he had done every night. At the end, he asked Jenny, Jenny do you love me? Yes, daddy, of course I love you. Then give me your pearls. No daddy, you can have my life-size Barbie, but not my pearls. That's ok. Her father left saddened.
This happened two more nights until the third night when her father came in, Jenny was sitting on the bed crying, Here, you can have my pearls, Daddy. As soon as she handed over her pearls, Jenny's father pulled out a beautiful velvet case with a real pearl necklace inside. He had it the whole time, but was waiting for Jenny to give up her plastic pearls so he could give her the real thing. So it is with our Heavenly Father who asks us to give up our plastic pearls so that He can give us the real thing. What plastic pearls are we holding onto today?

This article made me think, what "plastic pearls" am I holding onto today that I do not love or trust my Heavenly Father enough to give them to Him. And what wonderful things does he have for me that I may never get to enjoy because I am holding onto the "plastic pearls."
Beautiful story and what truth. When we give all we have to God, He gives us geniune and true things of Him. I enjoyed my visit here. Blessings to you!
ReplyDeletePrecious.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, I love this story. As you said, it makes me think about what plastic pearls I may be holding onto.
ReplyDeleteI want to thank you for your prayers for my mom, Martha. It means so much to know that others are praying for her, even when they don't know her. What a wonderful bond we have through Christ.
Hi Charlotte! Very nice story... you pronounce my nickname like mice-ee :-)
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte, that was beautiful. Yes, I know I hang on to some plastic pearls too sometimes. Thanks for the inspiring little story. Be a sweetie, Shelia ;)
ReplyDeleteWOW! That is so true. It truly makes me! Thank-you so much for a great story.
ReplyDeleteGinger
I enjoyed reading this story. How we must watch ourselves so that we do not hold onto things which will cause us to lose out on the gifts God wants to give us.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post!-rejoice that I have found so peacefully quiet music exscellent blog I want you all the best
ReplyDeleteThis was such a beautiful story to share. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteGod is so good, he always has much more for his children then the plastic things we think are so wonderful! Great post this morning, makes me stop and really think about my own life...
ReplyDeleteXO,
DL
I've read that before, but it is still a great reminder to think what we are holding onto, when God has something MUCH better in store for us. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for commenting on my post as well (at Rambling Rose).
ReplyDeleteWhat a great Sunday Post.
ReplyDeleteMakes me also think of what things I should let go of. God has so much for us and He is just waiting on us. Thanks for posting something that make me stop and consider my ways.
Charlotte, This was a beautiful post and great story! I've witnessed this so many times in my own life, and still I'm not sure I ever learn! Thank you for sharing this! :)
ReplyDeleteHugs, Rhonda
I think I would never have given my plastic pearls to anybody !
ReplyDeleteFirst Charlotte, I love the new template. I'm working on one for my own blog but haven't finished it yet...maybe today I can get to finishing it. You've inspired me.
ReplyDeleteAnd the Plastic Pearls story? I LOVE it! It gives to me the sense of all the material things that we hang on to, and don't want to give up ---and yet there are REAL things such as love and family that we should hold onto that are more dear.
Beautiful share.
[This morning I have two favorites of photos of my family - hope you can drop by again if you have some time.] Now that I'm here with you visiting, I am reminded to go check on the Dbacks score. LOL
Charlotte thank you for dropping by my site Broken Vessels bu that really wasn't the site I wanted for Spiritual Sundays. I have another site I write each Sunday but I wasn't sure if it met the requirements for what you wanted for Spiritual Sundays please drop by and let me know if it is what you would like for Spiritual Sundays it is at http://holysabbath.blogspot.com/
ReplyDeleteBlessings Charlotte, Thanks for sharing "Pearls"! I read this story just recently when I did a search looking for info on pearls, I love that you chose to share it!
ReplyDeleteGood questions to ponder. Thanks for hosting Spiritual Sunday! I love the button/banner!