For Spiritual Sundays this week I want to share a poem I found online written by Lizelia Augusta Jenkins Moorer. It's entitled "Thanksgiving". I have no idea when it was written but I suspect it was not written recently.
THANKSGIVING
Let us give thanks to God above,
Thanks for expressions of His love,
Seen in the book of nature, grand
Taught by His love on every hand.
Let us be thankful in our hearts,
Thankful for all the truth imparts,
For the religion of our Lord,
All that is taught us in His word.
Let us be thankful for a land,
That will for such religion stand;
One that protects it by the law,
One that before it stands in awe.
Thankful for all things let us be,
Though there be woes and misery;
Lessons they bring us for our good-
Later 'twill all be understood.
Thankful for peace o'er land and sea,
Thankful for signs of liberty,
Thankful for homes, for life and health,
Pleasure and plenty, fame and wealth.
Thankful for friends and loved ones, too,
Thankful for all things, good and true,
Thankful for harvest in the fall,
Thankful to Him who gave it all.
Thanks for expressions of His love,
Seen in the book of nature, grand
Taught by His love on every hand.
Let us be thankful in our hearts,
Thankful for all the truth imparts,
For the religion of our Lord,
All that is taught us in His word.
Let us be thankful for a land,
That will for such religion stand;
One that protects it by the law,
One that before it stands in awe.
Thankful for all things let us be,
Though there be woes and misery;
Lessons they bring us for our good-
Later 'twill all be understood.
Thankful for peace o'er land and sea,
Thankful for signs of liberty,
Thankful for homes, for life and health,
Pleasure and plenty, fame and wealth.
Thankful for friends and loved ones, too,
Thankful for all things, good and true,
Thankful for harvest in the fall,
Thankful to Him who gave it all.
I'm so thankful for all you wonderful people who share with us each week on Spiritual Sundays. Click here for links to posts that will inspire you and bless your life.

CHARLOTTE,
ReplyDeleteThat is such a beautiful poem.....moved me to tears! I love thanksgiving and as I am seeing this morning through you and Clif is the rich heritage that is brings!
Thank you for sharing this with all of us today :)
Thanks Charlotte for sharing that lovely poem. Love the look of your blog.Fall is my favorite time of year too. We have so much to be thankful for. Even in these perilous times.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed weekend. Keep sharing.
Hugs from Texas.
TARA
Thank you, Charlotte, for sharing this beautiful poem. Very moving! Have a wonderful Sunday and a blessed Thanksgiving this coming week. We, here in Canada, have already celebrated the Day in October. However, I am thankful every day for His abundant grace, love, and blessings.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you,
Sandi
What a beautiful poem!!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!
I am thankful to you for sharing such a beautiful poem. God bless you and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteAnne
Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. May the Lord bless you abundantly...
ReplyDeleteWOW~~ What a beautiful poem! It's amazing how a poem can touch your heart.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Ginger
I LOVED this poem. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. There is just something soo right about setting a day aside to be thankful for all we have been blessed with. May you have a truly wonderful Thanksgiving. Blessings, Debbie
ReplyDeleteBeautiful poem, Charlotte! Thank you for sharing it with us. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteOh, I so enjoyed reading... savoring these words!
ReplyDeleteThank you for enriching my day!
Myra
That is a beautiful poem, Charlotte. It seems as though it was written some time ago, but the words are timeless. I thank God every day for His blessings on me, my family, and our country, for all that He has given us, and for being who He is.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful Sunday!
Mary
I'm thankful for you Charlotte, for your kind and gentle spirit. Have a great day. Sarah
ReplyDeleteThankful to Him who gave it all! How true and how easily we forget. Happy Thanksgiving week to you!
ReplyDeleteI am thankful for you, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteThe author's name is so pretty! Thank you for sharing her poem. Have a blessed day!
ReplyDeletevery nice!
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
ReplyDeleteIt seems our freedoms are dwindling with each passing day. I'm thankful we still have freedom of religion.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte,
ReplyDeleteA lovely poem...I, too, am thankful for freedom of religion! I pray that we can keep these important freedoms. I know you and Clif will have a very happy Thanksgiving with your family!
Hugs,
Jean
Charlotte, What a wonderful poem and I read your story on your other site about the keyboard. Thank you for sharing both with us and Thank You for your kind comments on my blog today.
ReplyDeleteMay God Bless you and keep you safe...
Mike
I'm thankful for you, Charlotte, and for this sweet post. I enjoyed the poem enormously.
ReplyDeleteBe blessed this Thanksgiving and always...
In Him,
Sheila :-)
Happy Sunday Sis,
ReplyDeleteI love to read these type of poems, just the way it is written. I always wonder about the poet and what they are feeling at the time they write their poems. Thank you for the beautiful comment you left on my blog, may the Lord continue to get the glory as we share our testimonies, which are so powerful seeing all that the Lord can do through each of us.
HUgz Lorie
Oh this is such a lovely little poem.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the words of Thanksgiving in this lovely poem! Hope your week is wonderful! Coralie
ReplyDeleteThank you for this poem ... so appropriate for the upcoming holiday! I am thankful for my family...especially my sweet Dear Bebe. I've been truly blessed!
ReplyDeleteThat is a lovely poem. It may be a little old-fashioned, but still relevant. I wish all of it were still true.
ReplyDeleteThanks for that lovely poem, Charlotte. I don't believe it was written recently either.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for fixing my link! I always try so hard to make sure I type it in just right, but then often make a mistake. I knew that I it didn't get you straight there, but didn't know how to fix it without just doing it again. Thank you again!!! Next time I make a mistake, I'll let you know. I'll try not to make a mistake!
Sandy
Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting the wonderful poem. It's just perfect for this week. Thanks too for hosting this event. It's so wonderful to read each week.
Such a lovely poem, bless you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful poem, thank you so much for sharing it. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful prayer poem, Charlotte...thanks so much for sharing it with us today.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!
Mary