Give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back.
-- Luke 6:38 (RSV)
Heart Gifts
It's not the things that can be bought
that are life's richest treasure,
It's just the little "heart gifts"
that money cannot measure...
A cheerful smile, a friendly word,
a sympathetic nod
Are priceless little treasures
from the storehouse of our God . . .
They are the things that can't be bought
with silver or with gold,
For thoughtfulness and kindness
and love are never sold . . .
They are the priceless things in life
for which no one can pay.
And the giver finds rich recompense
in GIVING THEM AWAY.
- Helen Steiner Rice
Here's something you probably didn't know about Mrs. Rice. I just read it in one of her books.
Here's something you probably didn't know about Mrs. Rice. I just read it in one of her books.
Mrs Rice married a wealthy Dayton, Ohio, banker in 1929, but their marriage ended in tragedy. Distraught by losses that resulted from the stock market collapse, her husband took his own life. In 1931 Mrs. Rice joined Gibson Greeting Cards in Cincinnati. A short time later, she was named editor of the company's card line and for the next 50 years she wrote literally millions of verses for greeting cards. She was also a great motivator of the company's sales force. When speaking to the salesmen, she told them a legend entitled, "The Windows of Gold." It was so well received that she later put the little story into verse.
Be sure to visit our Spiritual Sundays blog for links to more posts. We hope you will want to be one of the participants.


Wow! Clearly what the enemy meant for harm she allowed the Lord to turn it into good for her life since obviously she was called according to his purpose :)
ReplyDeleteThis was awesome Charlotte....thankyou!
Hi Charlotte, great message.
ReplyDeleteWhat a story! Thanks for sharing Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteI loved this post and especially that verse. It is just so true. You cannot out give God. That was also an interesting fact about Helen Steiner Rice. How I love her poems. Have a wonderful week Charlotte. Blessings to you, Debbie
ReplyDeleteBeautiful choice of words to share. I didn't know about Helen's life and loss of her husband.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great verse. I think that I'm missing out by not having any of Helen Steiner Rice books. That was a tragedy about her husband.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Ginger
I just love Helen Steiner Rice!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how God can help you turn a tragedy into something beautiful! I never heard that story before! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI learned something new about this famous lady. Thank you, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteHer poems are so wonderful but even her life story is a great testimony! Thanks for sharing. God bless you sister Charlotte and have a great weekend.
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing lady! To gather the emotional fragments of her life, then weave them beautifully into timeless verses ... providing Truth and Comfort for so many!
ReplyDeleteMay you enjoy a wonderful day!
Myra
God surely gave this wonderful woman a gift. I didn't know she had been married, and suffered such a great loss so early in life...but God, in His mercy, took was was hurtful and turned it into good...how we've all been blessed by her writings! I'm so glad you share from her books...I don't have any of them, but I have several cards, and always give one of her poems in a card to friends and family. This message is so good, so true...He is the Giver of all good things!
ReplyDeleteGod bless!
Mary
Ms. Rice is one of my all-time favorites.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know about Mrs. Rice's history. [I love her heartwarming sentiments.]Here again is proof that God has a plan, even though we may not see it at the time. Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteMy mother-in-law always loved her. I never knew the background of her life!!! Thanks so much for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteA wonderful poem and story about a lady who learned through heartache how to put her thoughts and feelings into beautiful words. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful Sunday, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Sandi
Thanks for sharing her story. I had never heard her story before... God used her in amazing ways!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting, thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Charlotte, for this poem and great story.
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing true story about Mrs. Rice and the tragic loss of her husband. No wonder she was able to touch our hearts in so many ways through the years. Thanks for sharing this, Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteGreat story. Sometimes when faced with tragedy or adversity, the best of our character is formed... God uses the bad and turns it into good!
ReplyDelete"Heart gifts" are priceless, indeed! I'm so thankful that in spite of tragedy in her life, Helen shared her God-given gifts with the world to encourage others and to proclaim God's love, goodness & faithfulness.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting my blog today. Have a blessed week in the Lord!
Great Poem, , wonderful Post !
ReplyDeleteHave a Blessed Week,
Myrna