Saturday, May 24, 2008

More Hawaii pix

Aloha again! I've been busy since I got home sifting through over 500 pictures and working on a DVD. I'm about half finished with it and thought about not doing a blog post today, but decided I would go ahead and post a few more pictures.

In the lobby of our hotel



The daughter, the son and the hubby rocking on the front porch of the hotel watching the comings and goings.


Me taking their picture


Since this is Memorial Day weekend, it seemed appropriate to go ahead and post the pictures we took at the Arizona Memorial. This, of course, is a must see if you go to Honolulu. We were told we needed to go early if we wanted to get in. 6:30 am was the suggested time, so at 6:30 we jumped in a cab and headed out. When we got there there was already a long line, but it wasn't open yet and the longer we stood there the longer the line got. We were glad we came early. However, when we left, that line had all disappeared. I'm thinking if we had gone later we wouldn't have had to stand in line at all. We could have just gone in, but who knew.






I don't know the people in the above picture. Just wanted to show the wall with the names of all who lost their lives on the USS Arizona that fateful day.



It is so awesome to see the remains of the ship under the water with parts of it sticking out of the water, and see the oil still rising to the surface after all these years. It really brings tears to your eyes.

Mahalo and Aloha!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte,
    What a poignant reminder for Memorial Day. I well remember our visit to the Arizona Memorial (and to the Punchbowl National Cemetery) My beloved Grandfather was one of the oldest living Pearl Harbor Survivors when he passed on March 1.
    He was 99 yrs and 7 months and remembered the details of the Pearl Harbor attack quite vividly until almost the end of his life..
    Touching post.
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charlotte,

    Isn't it amazing to see the wall of names that had more than one family member on it. They changed that rule of 2 members being on the same ship since then. We were there a few years back and it is definetly a must to see.
    Pretty soon there won't be any volunteers left that were actually there that day of the attack.
    I hope you have a great Memorial Day. Thanks for sharing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Charlotte,
    WOW! That would bring tears to my eyes as well. There are so many people who think of Memorial day as a 3 day weekend but how we need to be reminded thank-you!
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos Charlotte. I was so moved when we went there a few years ago. It was a rainy day, but it was still beautiful and so touching.

    Have a wonderful Memorial Day!

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte, "Welcome back", It looks like you had a beautiful trip. I am so glad you took a minute to post pictures. The memorial is very fitting for our Memorial Day weekend. Have a great night. Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my what a lovely thoughtful thing for you daughter and son-in-law to do for you. Many happy blessing to you and your husband.
    Hugs
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte