Friday, May 2, 2008

From a Bed to a Bench

Show and Tell


My son will probably kill me for posting this picture of him that was taken about 40 years ago, but I thought it was necessary to have a picture of the headboard on his bed .

There were two of these beds in his bedroom. Actually in this house there was only one, but when we moved to another city, we bought a matching one.

When he got older, we took the twin beds out, and he bought himself a waterbed. Well, we had both of those headboards in our garage for many many years. We finally decided to donate them to a rummage sale our church was having. One of the members of the church bought them, and turned them into benches. One of them he sold, and the other one he brought to an auction we had at our church. Were we ever surprised to see what he had done. That headboard made a very interesting bench. The lady that bought it at the auction knew the history of the headboard, and so when she decided she didn’t want it in their entry way any longer, she asked us if we would like to have it. She knew how much it would mean to us and that’s probably why she decided to put something else in her entry way - so that she could give it to us. Of course we were thrilled to have it. We really didn’t know where we were going to put it, but it ended up in our dining room. Here is a picture of it there.



20 comments:

  1. Oh how amazing! What a wonderful way to keep his bed! I love it. And what a sweet thing for your friend to do for you. He was very crafty. Wish I knew him!
    Have a Blessed Week. And stop over and see my Show and Tell.
    Blessings,Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is SO incredible! I love how he crafted it and that it made its way back to you! I had to laugh about the waterbed part. My Hub and I still sleep on a waterbed after all of these years!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story about the headboard, but especially how it came home! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He did such a great job on the bench. I have always like this bench! What a nice way to save something form your childs younger years.
    ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an awesome metamorphasis..I hope I spelled that right...LOL!

    Thanks so much for coming by my blog today Miz Charlotte! Nice to meet ya!
    The doll in my avetar and on my blog banner is a Tammy doll from back in the '60's. Wonder why I would put a Tammy doll there...three guesses and the first two don't count
    *wink~wink*

    You have a lovely blog!☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey what a neat idea. I'll have to keep that in mind when I'm antiquing.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to preserve a special bad...it looks beautiful in your diningroom!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Charlotte,
    I love this story, it is so cool when things come back to us like that, and usually just when we need them too! What a blessing for you all to see the bed in your home again after all those years.
    Hope you are having a wonderful Friday and a great weekend to come!
    Love and hugs,
    Donna Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea - and I know you'll treasure it forever.
    Stop by my blog to pick up your award for being so supportive of me. I always enjoy new blogger friends.

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How sweet that the bed came back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a very special thing to own!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great and witty ideal!
    That is so fantastic that they gave you one of them and you have it still. Very thoughtful of those people.
    Thanks for the photo and the story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a neat 'coming home' story!
    It's very cute what they did with it.
    God bless,
    Brenda :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now THAT is an awesome story and an even better idea. I have the bed I grew up sleeping in. This gives me a plan for actually using it.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who would have ever guessed? What a unique idea. How forunate and special you received this back. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks beautiful. What a wonderful woman to think of you. And now you have all of those childhood memories in a sweet little bench! Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing. It is a great idea. Now I know what to do with the headboard who's footboard flew out of a truck when we moved and was never found:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! And what a story you can tell!

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a wonderful blessing and so unique! Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte