I’m not sure if it was in the 70s or 80s that I started this quilt. I think it was in the 70s. I got it about half finished and abandoned it for several years. I finally got back to it and finished it. It was really a lot of work. Each square was done individually and then sewed onto the next one. When it was finished it was finished – didn’t need to quilt it. Each square started out as a 9 inch muslin square. It was folded several times and then the print square was stitched into it. That is not a good description I realize, but it’s the best I can do. Oh goodie, I just looked online to see if there was anything about a Cathedral Window Quilt, and found this site that tells all about it. If you’re interested you can click on it. Here’s the site: Cathedral Window Quilt. It was all done by hand. No machine work at all. Now it’s just folded up and put away in one of our closets. I did use it on the bed for a long time as a bedspread. No, not a bedspread, I guess you would call it a “coverlet”. This was our bedroom in the last house we lived in before we moved here.Wednesday, May 14, 2008
My Cathedral Window Quilt
I’m not sure if it was in the 70s or 80s that I started this quilt. I think it was in the 70s. I got it about half finished and abandoned it for several years. I finally got back to it and finished it. It was really a lot of work. Each square was done individually and then sewed onto the next one. When it was finished it was finished – didn’t need to quilt it. Each square started out as a 9 inch muslin square. It was folded several times and then the print square was stitched into it. That is not a good description I realize, but it’s the best I can do. Oh goodie, I just looked online to see if there was anything about a Cathedral Window Quilt, and found this site that tells all about it. If you’re interested you can click on it. Here’s the site: Cathedral Window Quilt. It was all done by hand. No machine work at all. Now it’s just folded up and put away in one of our closets. I did use it on the bed for a long time as a bedspread. No, not a bedspread, I guess you would call it a “coverlet”. This was our bedroom in the last house we lived in before we moved here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh My Goodness! What a gorgeous quilt! My husbands grandmother made a cathedral window quilt many years ago and it took her years as well!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing
Linda
My, oh my, oh my!!! Is there no end to your talents? Gorgeous, beautiful and to be envied. Use it, don't put it away. Carol would enjoy it after you are gone but why don't you enjoy it? My 93 y/o mom-in-law has always made it a habit to "put things away" and now she is wondering why. All those pretty and treasured things have just been in a dark closet for all these years.
ReplyDeleteI have a cathedral window quilt that my grandmother made for me in the early 70's. I remember how much work went into it and for that reason just never could bring myself to use it as a quilt. I sometimes use it as a coverlet and often display it on my quilt rack. They are indeed unique.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I don't quilt, my Grandma did, so I can truly appreciate the endless hours of work that went into this beautiful quilt.
ReplyDeleteLoved the one in your previous post as well.
That is so very pretty. And WOW WOW what a lot of work. I started a basket quilt by hand and never did finish, matter a fact I don't know where it is anymore. Thank-you for the link I will check it out.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful day,
ginger
Oh that is beautiful! I love to quilt! I have only done one, but I do like it! I want to make another one and I need to get started on it. I just wanted to come by today and let you know I haven't forgot about you! Its just crazy busy around here right now!
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, Your quilt is beautiful. I bet it felt wonder to finish it! I haven't made a quilt for years. I think a person has to made a quilt to understand how much love and time goes into one.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Terrie
Your quilt is beauiful. What a lot of work you put into that. What a shame that you have it put away in a box. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe pink one that was a gift is gorgeous. What a wonderful gift!!!
I just had to show my mom these last two posts. She didn't start quilting until she was about 40, but ever since then, she has been completely infatuated with them! She has about 5 or 6 going at any given time now. I think it skips a generation though, because after one or two (of just machine piecing with her quilting) that I've done, I can honestly say that I have NO desire to ever do any more! And I can definitely appreciate all the hard work she puts forth.
ReplyDeleteYou did a great Cathedral Window!
~Jessica