A Lovely Vase
This vase has special meaning to me because it is one of the few things I have that belonged to my mother. One of her sisters gave it to her back in the early 40s. I remember it in our house when I was just a little kid. I always thought it was pretty. My mother didn’t have a lot of nice things. As I mentioned in an earlier blog, she didn’t have much money, and when she bought something, it was usually for somebody else. When we gave her nice things, she almost always ended up giving them back to us. She always seemed to prefer having something that we had discarded than something new. Almost everything she had in her house was something we had had in our house in the past. She grew up during the depression and learned to do with very little. She didn’t have very many material possessions, but she had a lot of love which she gave away freely.

How nice to have that beautiful vase that was your mom's.
ReplyDeleteHow lucky you are to have had such a caring and loving mom!!
I wish I could be more like granny, and learn to do with out. The vase is very pretty.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice day,
ginger
This looks like a style of antique vases: the name escapes me. I will find out what it is. It's very Art Deco. I love it.
ReplyDeleteI have met so many people out of the Depression and their outlook is so different. I know there is a need to strike a balance, but sometimes their disinterest in materialism seems so liberating and peaceful.
So, how are the "black notes" coming along? Isn't that video wonderful? I have listened to it so many times and I like it better each time.
Have a grand and glorious day!
KJ
What a kind and generous mother. I'm glad you got the vase as a memory of her. Kathi
ReplyDeleteShe sounds so much like my Hubby's Southern grandmom!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful vase!☺
Charlotte, your vase is beautiful. Is it a Hall or Roseville? I have a smaller vase made out of the same material that was my mom's. I will have to take a pic of it sometime. Just looking at those old vases evoke memories of days at home with yard flowers in them.
ReplyDeleteThe vase must be either a McCoy or Weller. If my grandmother had passed on one of those my late husband might just have started collecting those instead of the Roseville.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFor those of you who want to know, the name on the bottom of the vase is Hull. I should have included this in my post.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte
What a treasure!! Your mom sounds like a beautiful woman.
ReplyDeleteHugs, Terrie
A beautiful vase and special story, Charlotte. I cherish the things my mom has given be that belonged to my birth father, or grandparents. Can't put a price on them!
ReplyDeleteGod bless,
Brend :)
How special to have her vase. Your Mom sounds like a very special lady.
ReplyDeleteI have one from my grandmother but it probably came from a dime store. It still has value because she owned it and is quite pretty.
Hope you're having a good week.
Your vase is absolutely gorgeous. I love the story you told us about it and your mother. My mother was born in 1926 so I know what you mean. Thank you so much for sharing this post with me.
ReplyDelete