I liked the old paths, when
Moms were at home.
Dads were at work.
Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married BEFORE having children!
Crime did not pay;
Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.
Moms could cook;
Dads would work;
Children would behave.
Husbands were loving;
Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.
Women wore the jewelry;
And Men wore the pants.
Women looked like ladies;
Men looked like gentlemen;
And children looked decent.
People loved the truth,
And hated a lie;
They came to church to get IN,
Not to get OUT!
Hymns sounded Godly;
Sermons sounded helpful;
Rejoicing sounded normal;
And crying sounded sincere.
Cursing was wicked;
Drugs were for illness;
And divorce was unthinkable.
The flag was honored;
America was beautiful;
And God was welcome!
We read the Bible in public;
Prayed in school;
And preached from house to house
To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called a Christian was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!
Preachers preached because they had a message;
And Christians rejoiced because they had the VICTORY!
Preachers preached from the Bible;
Singers sang from the heart;
And sinners turned to the Lord to be SAVED!
A new birth meant a new life;
Salvation meant a changed life;
Following Christ led to eternal life.
Being a preacher meant you proclaimed the word of God;
Being a deacon meant you would serve the Lord;
Being a Christian meant you would live for Jesus;
And being a sinner meant someone was praying for you!
Laws were based on the Bible;
Homes read the Bible;
And churches taught the Bible.
God was worshiped;
Christ was exalted;
And the Holy Spirit was respected.
Church was where you found Christians
On the Lord's day, rather than in the garden,
On the creek bank, on the golf course,
Or being entertained somewhere else.
I still like the old paths the best!
'The Old Paths' was written by a retired minister who lives
In Tennessee.
Dads were at work.
Brothers went into the army.
And sisters got married BEFORE having children!
Crime did not pay;
Hard work did;
And people knew the difference.
Moms could cook;
Dads would work;
Children would behave.
Husbands were loving;
Wives were supportive;
And children were polite.
Women wore the jewelry;
And Men wore the pants.
Women looked like ladies;
Men looked like gentlemen;
And children looked decent.
People loved the truth,
And hated a lie;
They came to church to get IN,
Not to get OUT!
Hymns sounded Godly;
Sermons sounded helpful;
Rejoicing sounded normal;
And crying sounded sincere.
Cursing was wicked;
Drugs were for illness;
And divorce was unthinkable.
The flag was honored;
America was beautiful;
And God was welcome!
We read the Bible in public;
Prayed in school;
And preached from house to house
To be called an American was worth dying for;
To be called a Christian was worth living for;
To be called a traitor was a shame!
Preachers preached because they had a message;
And Christians rejoiced because they had the VICTORY!
Preachers preached from the Bible;
Singers sang from the heart;
And sinners turned to the Lord to be SAVED!
A new birth meant a new life;
Salvation meant a changed life;
Following Christ led to eternal life.
Being a preacher meant you proclaimed the word of God;
Being a deacon meant you would serve the Lord;
Being a Christian meant you would live for Jesus;
And being a sinner meant someone was praying for you!
Laws were based on the Bible;
Homes read the Bible;
And churches taught the Bible.
God was worshiped;
Christ was exalted;
And the Holy Spirit was respected.
Church was where you found Christians
On the Lord's day, rather than in the garden,
On the creek bank, on the golf course,
Or being entertained somewhere else.
I still like the old paths the best!
'The Old Paths' was written by a retired minister who lives
In Tennessee.
I recently received this in an e-mail. Needless to say, I LIKE IT! I guess I'm a little bit old fashioned. I know I'm old. lol


I like this too ... a lot! Here's to more "old fashioned" thoughts and deeds!
ReplyDeleteOld or NOT ~ this speaks VOLUMES!! It speaks TRUTH! I LOVE this Charlotte and I am sooo glad you posted it! If I can figure out how to tweet this I am soo on it! :)
ReplyDeleteLove to you!
Thank you sooo much for adding Johns prayer button!
ReplyDeleteThis is so good. I'm in a melancholy mood tonight anyway...just finished watching Victoria and Albert and my husband told me I would do well in that era (probably because I like tea victorian tea parties!)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Mary
Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like the world I grew up in. . .and I miss it. Things were easy to figure out then because the RULES were the same all the time. Sigh. I really liked this - it brought back memories.
Hugs,
Jean
I've read it before, and I like it, too!
ReplyDeleteI figured it out and tweeted this! HA Victory!! I am sooo not really into twitter but it is the Best way to get your amazing post out there for alot to see!
ReplyDeleteLOVE!
I liked that too Charlotte....my how things have certainly changed in this world. Not all for the good either sadly.
ReplyDeleteHow ever in this surgery area it's good...now days the gall bladder surgeries are apparently much advanced compared to years back when they had to do a major "cut" even.
My Mother had one like your husband. Because my sister said she looks like she was "ran over by a truck" with her incision.
Now it's 5 smalls slits...the biggest one is about 2 inches I think they said. Ugh. HA!
I'll put something on my blog when I can to let everyone know how it went.
Thank you!!!
Joyce
Thanks for your prayers, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't it be wonderful to step back in time just for a little while? Probably wouldn't be a good idea for me because I wouldn't want to come back to the present.
ReplyDeleteA wonderful poem...I like it too! Thank you for sharing it.
ReplyDeleteI must be old fashioned too because I really like it.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great poem. My friend Loren at The Magoos News sent me over for a peak. You have the cutest blog. Hope you don't mind If I follow you.
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI've seen this before, but so glad to read it again...this time, I'm printing it and saving it for other family members to read...it's truly a representation of how I grew up, so far removed from the way things are today...I'm just grateful I know the difference, and pray that this will give my kids an idea of how things were, and pray they will be again.
Thank you so much for your sweet comment and your prayers...I feel much better, and will be back to normal soon...anxious to get back to Spiritual Sundays, too.
Take care, and God bless you!
Mary
I agree with Loren... not old, just true. Thanks so much for passing this along. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Christi
This is great. The old ways are still best.
ReplyDeleteLove this. What a nice blog! I too grew up in southern California and lived in the Phoenix area for about 5 years. I miss it. We attended a wonderful church there. Please stop by and visit my blog!
ReplyDeleteI like it too--brings back memories!! (unfortunately they are memories and not modern times)
ReplyDeleteFond memories. Who would have believed in the 1950's that America would be like it is today?
ReplyDeleteGood one, Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteHI!!!
ReplyDeleteSame date, new place!!!!
Check out Sherry's blog at Country wings in Phoenix for her info, she helped me with this, as I could never make it look so cute!!!
Please check it out and let us know your selection for menu item.
Look forward to meting you finally!!!
Hugs,
jamie