Tuesday, July 20, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DISNEYLAND

Disneyland opened in July of 1955 almost exactly 55 years ago. I was 18 years old and had just moved back to southern California. We lived about 20 minutes from Disneyland so I spent quite a bit of time there that first summer. It was such a fantastic place. The ride I liked best was the Jungle Cruise. A couple of years later they added the Matterhorn. I really liked that ride at that time. Now 55 years later, I wouldn't get on it for anything. Well maybe for something but not for nothing. Does that make sense? The Carousel of Progress was one of my favorite things there so I was disappointed when they moved it to Disney World.

Here's a picture of hubby and our two kids at Disneyland in about 1966.



And here they are almost 40 years later in 2005.


Here's our daughter with Mickey Mouse.



She still likes having her picture taken with Mickey.



I like Mickey too.



This was my last visit to Disneyland. I think it's time we went back again. After all, it IS the "Happiest Place on Earth".


9 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte, What a fun post! I love seeing the photos ~ then & now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!!!
    YOU KNOW WE LOVE DISNEY!!!!
    Our 2nd daughter is a Manager at Walt Disney World!!!Her boss is the MOUSE!!!WEll kind of!!!
    My MIL(the real one, who passed away far to young at the AGE of 55, almost 15 years ago) worked at Disneyland on OPENING day!!!She was Pregnant with my hubby!!!!Worked in the ticket booths!!!!I so wish I had pics of her working there!!
    I loved your old family pics of the Happiest Place!!!!I also love the New ones!!!!Great big pic is awesome!!!
    hugs,
    jamie
    do you follow Deanna at Home Haven??She has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, please Pray

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the then and now pictures!! Too cute!! I have never been to DisneyLand, but I have been to DisneyWorld and I too love to get my picture taken with Mickey Mouse!!

    You definitely should go back!!

    Love and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful family photos,good to see the past and years later. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the young, then up to date pictures! How fun to compare and look back! You have two beautiful children and one handsome husband and you are not too shabby yourself! Hahahaha! I think your daughter looks just like you. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's go! The daughter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Charlotte,
    This is SOOO adorable!!! I love your pics...and your wonderful memories! I was raised in Glendale and we always went to Disneyland...It was always such a treat. My daughter (who's 28) went last week and was so thrilled as she has been living in Atlanta for the last year...it was like "home sweet home" to her....
    I LOVE seeing this post!
    HUGS,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.S. I had my sound turned off...I didn't realize you had "Small World" playing...oh my gosh--how precious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Disneyland photos! We were able to go last month as a family....it was so much fun! I was born in 1955, so I had to buy a Disneyland shirt with the original Mickey, and the year 1955 on it. My favorite Disneyland character is Minnie Mouse. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte