I had so many nice comments on previous posts I did from the book Women at the Well by Betty Robison that I decided I would share another with you today. This book contains 32 devotions by different women. The one I'm sharing today is by Elizabeth Cody Newenhuyse (I have no idea how her last name is pronounced, but it doesn't really matter. What she shared is so good.)
Cultivating Contentment
There's a lot in my life I wish I could change. I'm not miserable--but I struggle with being satisfied.
One scripture verse that makes me squirm is the apostle Paul's reminder to Timothy: "If we have enough food and clothing let us be content" (I Timothy 6:8). I have food but too often it's macaroni and cheese. I have clothing, but looking through the L.L.Bean catalog brings out my most materialistic urges. I have furniture, but it resembles estate-sale treasures more than it does Crate & Barrel chic. Often I'd like more--and better. And that's just the beginning of my discontentment.
I've met other women who struggle with the same conflict. My neighbor Jackie, the mother of teens, tells me her level of contentment fluctuates all the time. "It depends on our finances, the state of the house, my husband's and kids' moods and whether or not I have PMS," she says.
Discontent can take a variety of forms. One is Jackie's vague sense of disequilibrium--sometimes she likes her life, and sometimes she doesn't. Another form is a more profound restlessness, like that of a single-parent friend who'd love to pull up stakes and move to Florida after her youngest is through school. But a third, more destructive discontent is that "never enough" spiral many of us get caught in--always wanting a bigger house, more money, a more prestigious job.
The problem is, many of us define contentment as that ideal state of contant happiness where every problem is solved and every goal is met. But what happens when you achieve a goal? It's like yanking dandelions--you pull one and another pops up in its place.
Ten years ago, I had a certain sum in mind as my ideal annual income. I thought, If only I could earn that, my financial woes would be over. Well, guess what happened when I reached that magical number. It no longer seemed ideal, thanks to inflation. In fact, it seemed pitifully inadequate. What I had thought would give me contentment didn't satisfy me any longer.
We're fooling ourselves if we think we'll ever solve all our problems this side of eternity. New dreams will always replace the old. Ultimately there is no true contentment apart from knowing, loving and desiring to follow Christ.
If we're honest, most of us can't say we're content in every situation as the apostle Paul learned to be (Philippians 4:12-13). But it is a model to aspire to.
We may never achieve absolute contentment. But as we seek God's peace and ask his help in setting our minds on "things above"--no matter what the world may throw at us--we may be able to say, echoing the apostle Paul, "I am learning to be content in every circumstance." Such thoughts will help you get over "never enough" and be satisfied with "what is."
Come to think of it, that would make a great inscription for a plaque. I could hang it in my kitchen and meditate on it as I start boiling the macaroni for dinner.I think we can all learn something from these words written by Elizabeth and I think we need to be reminded from time to time.
Have a wonderful weekend, and be sure to check out the Spiritual Sundays blog. We are so pleased that more and more people are joining us in sharing there. New people are always welcome. You can click HERE to go to that blog and you will find information on how to share when you get there.


Hi Charlotte, I can relate!
ReplyDeleteOh Charlotte ~ I can only imagine how many can relate to this post....men and women alike.
ReplyDeleteMay we all find contentment in HIM!
Bless you this weekend!
Blessings Charlotte...Such precious truth and humor along the way! Thanks for sharing from your book again. I've learned the hard way to be content with little...and the less I have, it seems the more I want...but so far I've resisted.
ReplyDeleteLiving in a third world country has truly made me appreciate the comforts I have back home... last weekend(for example) 4 days of no running water and there are others still without running water...that means toilets can't work, etc. bottled water to drink is great and available... then yesterday I awoke to see thick black smoke filling the sky in a close distance, and the fire fighters did not have sufficient water to put on the business as it burned. Pretty sad!
Yet they keep building fancy and fancier high rise places for tourists, that's how they maintain their living... ohhh was that me complaining? (heaven forbid)
You quickly learn to be content and thank the LORD each day!
Thanks Char!
Great post, how true it is. Contentment is a hard one.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, first, my husband and I were in your beautiful state last week, and in Scottsdale, as well. Went to spring training games, then on up to the Grand Canyon. It was bitter cold up there (for us Texans), but we'd never seen it in winter. Magnificent!
ReplyDeleteI think contentment is one of life's greatest accomplishments. I'm grateful that I've generally been content with my life. I guess that's why I can still sit on 23-year-old sofas and not be miffed. :)
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteWonderful devotional you shared by Elizabeth today; thank you! I too can relate in so many areas! It is difficult to be content all the time. It is a journey that we all have to take at one time or another. To be content in every circumstance, well, that's a great achievement! Have a beautiful weekend, dear friend.
Blessings,
Sandi
I didn't know contentment until the Lord found me. I'm so grateful to discover that it's not any of these material things that will give me happiness but having Him in my life. Thank you for sharing this. God bless. Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! How true. One of my favorite quotes is, "happiness is making the most of what you have." I have been thinking about being content in my old, but lovely home that needs many repairs lately. The perfect post for me to read!
ReplyDeleteI certainly can relate. In reality we can never be content without Jesus. And all these material things are temporary, I need to keep my focus upon things eternal.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Joan
I think that is what I remember most about my great-grandpa: contentment, even when he suffered losses. Thanks for another beautiful post. Happy Sunday.
ReplyDeleteI think most of us can relate to this post at one point or another or in one way or another in our lives. I know I can for sure. I think the older I have gotten it is easier to be contented with the material things I do or don't have. But I do struggle with physical health. How I want to ALWAYS experience that. No one likes to suffer of course, but it can be a part of life. And I am working on that. Have a wonderful week. Hugs, Debbie
ReplyDeleteI think we have all had a bite out of that apple, haven't we? LOL! What sage advice...from Paul and Elizabeth.:)
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, I loved this post today. This is a prayer of mine often.I'm so glad you shared this today.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless,
Ginger
Like many who read this post, I can relate! I think back in a time when Ron and I actually had more money and life was easier. Were we any happier? Probably not. We thought life was tough then. Ha! Nothing like the challenges we have faced recently. So, we are trying to not only be content but to truly experience life. Cancer has taught us what is really important... and that is our faith, our marriage and loved ones. Bless you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteHaving been on the streets with nothing...and now living in a home on the Lakeshore...having so much...more than I need...I am so grateful. He provides in ways this world can't....The most important thing to me is His love...His peace...His gentleness.
ReplyDeleteBeing content ... now, there's a challenge.
ReplyDeleteThis is a true statement! My husband is preparing our taxes. Please pray for us. We do not make enough money to get by and I am not talking about fancy homes(we live in a broken down mold infested rental). I am talking that I need prayer. I am praying the figures we have are incorrect. I hope the Lord will listen to me today. We can not take on one more bill, we just got the news that due to ins. changes we will pay $400 of the $4,000 CT Nick just had, I suddenly feel so overwhelmed. Life is hard my mother always said, pray harder. I am so sorry to vent, thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOh Charlotte, Thanks for a great post. I have read one of Elizabeth's books "Sometimes I Feel Like Running Away From Home" numerous times when my kids were younger. It was encouraging and inspiring. And this post was encouraging. She speaks wisdom.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed Sunday. Thanks for sharing!
I prefer contentment through my relationship with Jesus Christ, which lasts an eternity rather than the temporary contentment I would receive through having worldly possessions or more money.
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Thank you for sharing this with us. I pray you're doing well. God bless!
I think I'm growing into contentment... it's a learning and sanctification process. <3
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Charlotte. I've often felt that so many people are "missing out" on enjoying life because they are never content with what they have. I think we all have those thoughts of not being content but like the title says, it's something we "cultivate."
ReplyDeleteGreat devotional on contentment!
Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteThese sentiments are so true and most of us can relate to them. Your Celtic music is wonderful, too!
Jean
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteoh if we could learn to be content with what we have this world would be so much better off, the kids now a days have a serious disease of the have not enoughs!!!!They want everything and everything there friends have, I hate that!! There is such a covetousness spirit about it all!!!It is so sad.
So glad you are making it to our little TEA!!!! I have your menu choice!!!
See you this SAT.!!!
hugs sweetie,
jamie
Thank you Charlotte. Contentment is a struggle at times for me. I needed this reminder.
ReplyDeleteAmerica, the most affluent culture, suffers the most from depression. My children and husband often state that the most content people are those they find on mission trips in countries with nothing.
Stuff doesn't equal contentment.
As long as my focus is Jesus Christ, I am satisifed. But we live in the world and are often drawn from our focus. I'm so glad he nudges me back to Spiritual reality.
ReplyDeleteWe will never arrive at contentment or happiness this side of heaven,so we had better enjoy the journey .But we can have Joy !
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
~Myrna
Godliness with contentment is great gain. God help me to get there. This is a thoughtful post.
ReplyDelete