THE BLIND MAN
I see a blind man every day
Go bravely down the street;
He walks as if the path were clear
Before his steady feet.
Save when he fumbles with his cane,
I almost feel he sees
The passers-by who smile at him,
The flowers and the trees.
He comes to corners where the crowd
Of traffic swirls about,
But when he hesitates, some hand
Will always help him out.
He crosses pavements fearlessly--It is as if he knows
That there are unknown, watchful friends
Along the way he goes!
Sometimes we walk through unseen paths,
Sometimes the road ahead
Is shrouded in the midst of fears;
But we are being led
As surely as the blind man is . . .
And, if we seem to sway
A hand will find us in the dark
And guide us on our way.
- Margaret E. Sangster
When Scott walks out on the stage at our church to help lead the worship, someone always walks with him to guide him to the piano where he sits down. When it is time for him to leave someone comes back to him and walks off the stage with him.
This poem reminds me that we are all blind in some ways and we need a helping hand. I believe we all should strive to be someone who is always willing and eager to lend a helping hand when we can. Isn't that what this life is all about? Remember Jesus said that when we help someone in need we are doing it unto him.

Be sure to visit Spiritual Sundays for links to other spiritual/inspirational posts.

Lovely poem, Charlotte. I haven't been following "Idol" this season, but when you mentioned Scott, I tuned it to see him - and I immediately started to root for him!
ReplyDeleteI hope he continues on and does well!
~Jean
What a lovely poem, Charlotte. I haven't watched "Idol" but I may just tune in and listen to this young man. Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful, restful Sunday.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Sandi
Beautiful! He is the Light in our darkness!
ReplyDeleteThis is an awesome poem, and as I was reading I felt the same way. We all need a helping hand.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Ginger
Hi Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteHow exciting to have someone from your church in American Idol I do hope he goes far. The poem was lovely, I'm glad I have Him guiding me on the path He has for me..that is when I let Him..oh how I must frustrate God at times :).
Have a lovely weekend, Charlotte :)
God bless you and keep you.
Melly:)
I haven't watched American Idol in years, and I haven't been keeping up with your blog (I'm sorry; I've been busy doing other things). Scott is a blind singer, and a member of your church? I'll try to remember to watch next Wednesday.
ReplyDeleteI remember a blind man in our neighborhood when I was a child. His name was Mr. Blue, and we would all speak to him whenever we saw him out walking with his cane. He always waved.
I like the poem. I appreciate the message of your post also. God is so good to always be taking care of us, knowing all our limitations. He is so good.
ReplyDeleteJennifer
My daughter's wedding is next week, so I'm just browsing tonight.
ReplyDeleteI love this poem. Awesome! I posted it on my Facebook!
Thanks for sharing and please keep the wedding in prayer.
Love, KJ
Charlotte, what a lovely poem, yes, God is always leading us Thank you for sharing I haven't watched Idol this last time, but i will be rooting or him!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Sue
Very beautiful Poem. I do not watch Idol as I feel they are very mean spirited at times. Thanks for sharing your Poems they are always uplifting! :o)
ReplyDeleteGod Bless!
Karyl(Carol)
I tuned in this past week especially to see Scott. I loved the fact that he was not the only one who had sung in a church. (A little "shout out" to churches going on!)
ReplyDeleteScott has a good voice and with his ability to play piano, he might go even farther. I hope that he does well. I'm sure it's exciting for you, Cliff, and your church to witness this.
A beautiful post, Charlotte. My husband and I watch American Idol and we always comment on Scott's sweet spirit. It must be exciting for all of you at your church to watch him in this competition!
ReplyDeletexo...Kathy
Charlotte.. what a beautiful poem. It brought to mind a blind woman that I saw almost daily for many years in Dallas. She had a beautiful German Shepherd that was her guide dog. She rode the city bus downtown every day to work and then home again. I never spoke to her, just passed her at the bus stop on my way to and from work... but each time that I saw her... I admired her independence. Thanks for bringing that beautiful memory back to mind for me.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know Scott was from your church! I don't normally watch American Idol... but after reading an article in our local newspaper about the final 13, I decided to turn it on last week and watched both nights. Now, honestly, I probably wouldn't have watched again except for your post today... I may even have to dial in and vote for Scott now!
Though, knowing that AI is all about what sells... I'm not sure Scott has a chance to win against the more "marketable" singers... He is already a winner... and what a beautiful story and voice he has to share... however... you can't help but think Stevie Wonder... Ray Charles... The Catholic kid did win Big Brother last season... who knows! ;)
blessings. Dixie
The poem has a great message. Have a wonderful Sunday.
ReplyDeletethanks for sharing this one- we are all blind at times as we walk this life and it is great to know there is a hand to reach out and offer help.
ReplyDeleteBlessings this SS
Trusting the hand which eaches for me. Willnette
After reading your Blog last week ...I decided to watch American Idol and check it out. As I was watching him sing...I thought to myself..I'll bet he is an unbelievable worship leader.
ReplyDeleteI love your poem...
Have a restful Sunday...Julie
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI love watching American Idol and have enjoyed Scott's performances. He is so talented and the "Light" is in his eyes even though he can't see. I am so glad that others are seeing his promise as an artist and I hope he is able to continue on and is able to further his career through this as a singer. What an inspiration he is!
Beautiful poem - you are right - we all need a helping hand in life. I don't know where I would be without God's hand in my life. He is ever guiding me through the obstacles that threaten to make me fall. Praise God for that!
Thanks for sharing!
Blessings to you,
Kymber
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI am not sure why my last post came up anonymous - just wanted to see if it would bring my name up this time
How strange..
Blessings,
Kymber