Castle of Mesen - Belgium
This castle is quite the chameleon. Not only did it go from stunning architectural gem to modern ruin, but it's filled just about every role in between. Originally constructed in the beginning of the 17th century for a royal family, after two hundred years of additions and renovations it was sold and used as a factory in the 19th century. It has been home to an alcohol distillery, a sugar refinery, and a tobacco factory.
Here's another shot.
Here's an interior shot.
Although most of the interior is in ruins, the lush greenery that intertwines with the building's exterior still makes for some incredible exploration. Don't miss the chapel's stained glass windows that have somehow managed to remain partially intact, even amid extensive damage to the rest of the church.
Chateau de Noisy - Belles, Belgium
Originally named Chateau Miranda, this property was built in 1866 as a summer home for a wealthy count and his family. The family used it for years, but it was taken over during the Nazi occupation and used for military purposes during World War II.
Coity Castle - Glamorgan, Wales

There are a whole lot of ruined medieval castles in Wales. Some are in such disrepair that only a few stones survive, while others are still intact enough to allow people to walk around in them. Coity Castle is somewhere in between. An incredibly old structure, the first version of the castle was built around 1126 by, wait for it, Sir Payn "the Demon" de Turberville (amazing name right?!). Sir Payn was an original member of the Twelve Knights of Glamorgan, each of whom had his own castle built for him.
Lennox Castle - Scotland
After an unfortunate beheading in the family in 1425, the Lennox family lost rights to the land where the Lennox Castle was originally built. After living in a sort of royal exile for eight generations, the family decided it was ready to petition the House of Lords to get their title back. And in 1833 they succeeded, becoming the Count and Countess of Lennox once again. In honor of their royal reinstatement, they commissioned a grand castle to be built on the land of their forefathers. The Lennox castle was completed in 1841, and their previous residence was intentionally partially torn down, planted with ivy, and left as a "ruin." So classy.Here's another shot of the same castle.
Wow, it's hard to recognize this as the same place as the picture above. I wonder if this is a painting.
I hope you've enjoyed seeing these castles as much as I have. I can always imagine them as they were when they were inhabited and wonder what the people were like who lived there. Fascinating I think.
My Spiritual Sundays post for this week is on my other blog. Here's the link:





I love all old buildings...so sad to see then in ruin. You wonder of the lives who lived in them and so do I?? the music played and the conversations...now all a passing memory. We come and go from this earth, and hopefully, many knew the Lord and now reside with Him? This realy made me think...What will my life leave behind when I'm gone?? Some old building people will walk through and wonder about or a legacy of more than just that? I pray its the latter. God Bless. CM x
ReplyDeleteThese pictures make my mind start to wander and wonder - back in time and the stories the walls could tell.
ReplyDeleteYour own trip down the Rhein must have offered many glimpses into the past. Sounds like a wonderful excursion.
I love old castles! Actually I love any old homes. I also wonder about the people who lived in them, the games the children played, what kids of food they ate and so much more. I have researched several of my family lines and have learned I descend from some royalty in Europe and would like to learn where they lived.
ReplyDeleteWonderful post! Thanks for sharing. I love to see castles and old homes and often wonder about the people that lived there and their lives.
ReplyDelete