But to each of us grace has been given as Christ
apportioned it. Ephesians 4:7
Grace is free but it certainly isn't cheap. You may have read the story of David Rothenberg a few years ago. His father, in a fit of rage, went into David's room, poured kerosene all over the room and all over the tiny boy, and lit him on fire. In God's difficult grace, David somehow lived through it, though ninety percent of his body was covered with third-degree burns. It is estimated that David will have approximately 5,000 operations in his lifetime. Each year they have to open him up so that he can grow. Along with a few saints and poets, David Rothenberg is aware of the greatest miracle of all: LIFE ITSELF. At the age of 7, he had the audacity to say:
I'm alive!
I'm alive!
I'm alive!
I didn't miss out on living! and that is wonderful enough for me.
O Giver of life, how often I take
Your gift for granted.
Be sure to visit our Spiritual Sundays blog for links to many inspiring posts. Thank you again to everyone who shares there. You are all very special people. You can click HERE to go to that blog.
Follow-up: After I posted this I decided to see if I could find out more about David. I didn't realize it had been so long ago. It happened back in the early 1980s. Here are a couple of websites if you would like to find out more about it.


I remember seeing David Rothenberg on a talk show many years ago when he was still a child. He is such an inspiration. Thank you for the update.
ReplyDeleteI remember this story too...amazing. I give thanks every day that I am still here to enjoy my sweet husband and family, to enjoy life!
ReplyDeleteHow inspiring that a child would be so thankful for life. We could learn a lot from children if only we would take time to listn.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this, Charlotte.
Blessings,
Joan
I didn't hear about this. God bless that dear little child. I can't imagine what torture he has gone through. How incredible that he has such a positive outlook after an experience like that.
ReplyDeleteLife worth living... those are the lycrics of I Dreamed a Dream that jumped out to me as I read this post (Susan Boyle). We do so much whining, when instead we should be rejoicing.
ReplyDeleteI remember seeing that on the news...and what you said....'Grace is free but it certainly isn't cheap.' is so true. We all seem to be on the same thought....growing in hard places. hugs to you Charlotte and thank you for always being here every week. ☺
ReplyDeleteCan you even imagine .....
ReplyDeleteThe Father who was sooo filled with hate that anyone could do such a horrible thing to any one let alone your own child....
The child who this happened to ..... to see the Hand of God in his life despite so much violence, hate, and evil..... truly is the Grace in which only comes from our Heavenly Father
Have a blessed weekend Charlotte
I have never heard this story before....how dreadfully awful!
ReplyDeleteOh, my, Charlotte, thank for sharing that story. We are thankful to be alive. I love your precious header. Blessings ~
ReplyDeleteI love your picture in the header. Your face just shines with the love of Jesus.
ReplyDeleteI cannot even begin to understand the pain that boy has and will go through. Makes me feel think I should never complain about a simple migraine. I don't recall hearing his story.
Hope your Sabbath is full of joy,
Pamela
Oh my gosh, Charlotte, your blog header is spectacular! And this piece about David is purely amazing--I remember when it happened...it was so awful--that dad was nuts. God bless David and his being such an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Cindy
I have never heard this story before. We often take the gift of life for granted.He is such an inspiration!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Annette
I had not heard of this story before...so sad, so amazing. Praising God this morning for my life. Thanks, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteI don't remember hearing about this. I know that I take a lot of things for granted. Thanks for the reminder that everything is a gift.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. Out of the mouth of babes...
ReplyDeleteThis was so sad,I remember him. I haven't heard anything about him in a long time. I hope he is doing well.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Ginger
Thanks for sharing this sad but inspiring story! Blessings!
ReplyDeleteSo much good stuff on your blog, Charlotte, I can live here. I love your profile pic. You are gorgeous in a hat, but I always knew you were royalty, dear lady. Your post today humbled me. So moving.
ReplyDeleteI love Susan Boyle and purchased her cd. Now I want to read what Clif wrote. And I have to see your other blog and all the tea party pics!
It's amazing that the little boy lived. God is awesome. I want to thank you for the comment you made on my post. I am sure you are right that God wanted me to learn to trust Him in all things. I feel much more at peace about Keeper since I learned that.Even though it has been 8 days and still there is no word of his whereabouts. I know God is taking care of him.
ReplyDeleteMay we never take this life for granted. If it is our commission to go out and make disciples of all men, and the purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever ~ then how can we get lost in ourselves and deny the testimony that is ours uniquely? I would never choose suffering. But, if that is the cup I am dealt I pray that I would be steadfast!!
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of David's story, but I am in awe of the wonderful appreciation he has for life. Some years ago I removed the cap from my car's radiator and as the air escaped, coolant erupted; shooting up my arm before I could move.
I remember the intense pain from the burns, but it cannot compare to what David had to endure in his young life.
Thank you for sharing his story.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
Dear Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteThank you for stopping by to visit me and for your kind comment. I'm pleased to meet you!
I didn't know the story of David, though here in Austraila there was a similar case.
It really tugs on my heart-strings to hear of such horror inflicted on anyone, let alone a child.
David's story is one to be shared over and over again. It is such a remarkable statement for a child of seven, to say "I'm alive."
Praise God, that in the midst of trouble He is always there.
I hope you have had a pleasant day and the week ahead will be filled with laughter and God's blessings.
With love and care from Kerrie. xOx
Things like this that others are suffering, helps to put our lives in prospective . Inspiring Post!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
~Myrna