Friday, March 25, 2011

SEASONS OF THE SOUL

Spring is in the air. I think people in general are happier to see spring come this year than anytime in the recent years. Maybe it's because winter has been so brutal in many parts of the country. Anyway, I was thinking "Spring" when deciding what to share for Spiritual Sundays this week and decided to share the following poem by Helen Steiner Rice.

The Seasons of the Soul
Why am I cast down and despondently sad
When I long to be happy and joyous and glad?
Why is my heart heavy with unfathomable weight
As I try to escape this soul-saddened state?
I ask myself often what makes life this way?
Why is the song silenced in the heart that was gay?"
And then with God's help it all becomes clear.
The soul has its seasons just the same as the year.
I too must pass through life's autumn of dying,
A desolate period of heart-hurt and crying,
Followed by winter in whose frostbitten hand
My heart is as frozen as the snow-covered land.
Yes, man too must pass through the seasons God sends,
Content in the knowledge that everything ends.
                             - Helen Steiner Rice 
 
singing birds 
Please join us each weekend at Spiritual Sundays to share inspiration and encouragement.
Click HERE to go to that blog. 


20 comments:

  1. Love the new look of your blog! Spring! Yes, glorious Spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Charlotte, the cherry blossoms are beautiful..Helen Steiner Rice really knows how to put things well. I love her writtings and love this one. Some times are very hard and hurtful, but it is good when they come to an end. God Bless. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I"ve been feeling like this poem....we got wallopped with a huge snowstorm after signs of spring were popping out everywhere....but there is no way winter can keep spring away....and there's now way the darkness can keep His Light away. Have a great weekend Charlotte and again...thanks so much for running these great SS's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad spring is here. I feel that there are times when my heart is frozen. I know that's when I'm not spending enough time with God.
    Blessings and Hugs,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely words and background! We are seeing signs of spring here in Indiana, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your poem by Helen Steiner Rice reminds me of the words in the Psalms that declare "I shall YET praise Him!" Thank you for the opportunity "to give and to receive" on Spiritual Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A bright and cheery post for a cold winter in Wisconsin! Your blog looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so ready for Spring...a new season....new life!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful poem and beautiful picture. I am very glad spring is here too, both in the weather and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uplifting words, and your blog is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very encouraging. I am so happy I stopped by. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photo...and it was sooooooooooooo wonderful to see you today...you are just a beautiful soul! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Charlotte, lovely words of encouragement and GORGEOUS photo! We had spring, now we're back to sprinkles of snow, but thanks to my senior mom's gardening tools, like her handy dandy garden wagons, there are seeds sprouting in the garage to remind us SPRING will REALLY come SOON. :) Thanks again for a lovely Spiritual Sunday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlotte,
    What a wonderful poem. And the picture is glorious!
    Thanks for hosting each week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Charlotte,

    I think many of us can identify with these words by Helen Steiner Rice; they speak of a hope for an end to what troubles my soul. Life parallels nature in that we all go through seasons of the soul, but I'm learning that everything in life is subject to change. I'm reminded of the phrase, "This too will pass.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so ready for Spring. It makes me think of new beginnings and new life.
    Love your blog! I want to update mine but am afraid I will wipe it right off of the planet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The key word comes near the end. Content. When the soul is frozen we don't think contentment -- or at least I don't. But content to know God is in control and this valley shall end, yes. I want to be like Paul -- content in every circumstance.

    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I've been through both seasons this week. The beauty of joyous spring and the harsh death of winter (though the poem says autumn).

    Praise God He is sovereign. And I must learn to trust and be content.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Helen Steiner Rice poems! Thanks for visiting me at A Season for All Things. I'm your newest follower and look forward to reading more of your posts/blogs. I, too, was a church secretary. I miss working at/for the church. I'm currently looking for a job and keep praying that God has a position for me at a church. ~ Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  20. G'day Charlotte,

    I'm so thrilled and delighted to be here on this day. I thought I had lost you on my follow list, then I ended up at Word Press but I don't know how to connect with you over there. I'm so sorry.

    Seasons of the Soul, such wonderful words!

    Living here in Australia it's Autumn at the moment, but I know many of my overseas friends are very happy it's now Spring. I love the glorious pink blooms on the tree.

    Wishing you God's Blessing.

    ♥... Kerrie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte