Therefore encourage one another and build each other up,
just as in fact you are doing.
I Thessalonians 5:11
There are four things that geese have to teach us.One, they rotate their leadership. When the lead goose gets tired, he rotates back in the wing and another goose flies point.
Second, by flying in a V-formation, the whole flock gets seventy-one percent greater flying range than if each bird flew on its own.
Third, when a goose gets sick or is wounded, two geese fall out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him.
Finally, it's the geese in the back who honk, letting the leaders know that they're following and all is well. If people thought we would be constantly honking encouragement to them, our churches would have standing room only.
Oh God, help me to remember to encourage rather than criticize.
-Tim Hansel
As I was thinking about encouragement, it occurred to me how each of us who share on Spiritual Sundays encourage each other. So many of you have told Ginger and me how much you appreciate going there each weekend and sharing. OK. We won't be "honking" but we do want to encourage each one of you and thank you for being a part of this ministry. If you didn't come here from Spiritual Sundays, just click HERE and it will take you there.


I love this lesson...and I learned something new about God's amazing creation.
ReplyDeleteNothing like learning lessons from geese. :) You are such an encouraging word in our blogging community. I saw that you're going to the AZ Bloggers Tea. I would have loved to attend but our school is having their spring show that same day. I have to attend that and help our little three year olds as they get to sing and dance for their parents and friends.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and love,
Debbie
The geese are filling our skies this time of year...I will never forget the first time I heard how they travel...amazing. Spiritual Sundays has been such a nice addition to my blog reading...often the perfect way to start and end my day.
ReplyDeleteLove this! I saw many geese on my way home from work today. Snow Geese migrate from the Artic Circle and Siberia to winter here. Then ofcourse, there are the Canadian Geese that we have year round. So, the devotion you shared is timely! Have a happy Spiritual Sunday :)
ReplyDeleteCharllote this is beautiful! I never new this about Geese. I hope I can encourage someone today,maybe at work, maybe a customer. What a blessing to read this before I start my day,thank-you.
ReplyDeleteBlessings and Hugs,
Ginger
I love this description especially as I have geese that fly over my house every morning and then again in the evening. When I hear them fy over in the morning then the day starts for me and now that I know what the 'honking' means I shall 'honk' to let them know all is well. Thanks. take care, Judyx
ReplyDeleteI love this Charlotte. I will never look at geese the same way again...☺ and you and Ginger are doing something that is making a huge difference....you've linked up so many of us to run with each other...to hold up each other's arms and to share hope and faith. I'm so grateful for that...and to both of you....Have a great weekend okay....
ReplyDeleteGod has given us many good role models with his creatures. I think that the trait/habit of geese that makes me wonder about them the most is that two will drop out of formation to escort a disabled comrade.
ReplyDeleteIn our business world, too often, the worker who has a problem is seen as vulnerable and is trambled by the co-workers trying to take his place.
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful blog! Very pretty! Love this post. I didn't know that about geese. Amazing how God made them in such a unique way. And yes, we need to encourage each other in our families, among friends and in our churches. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Judy
We have geese flying overhead all the time now heading for nearby fields or the river down the street. Great reminder. Encouragement is so important and fills the soul with hope and the body with energy! God bless.....love your look here.
ReplyDeleteI love this Charlotte! What a powerful lesson!! I am so thankful for you and Ginger and for this blog that brings so much inspiration to others! To share and receive in all the blessings each week is just such a gift!
ReplyDeleteYou may not Honk.... but you sure know how to lead, love, care and pray for those who fly along on this journey!
Love you!
honk honk! Thanks for being my wingman! ;) you always encourage me so much and I love you! isn't it cool to have this relationship through the internet? many blessings to you!
ReplyDeleteThis is great! I love how there are so many things we can draw from nature. God def knows what He is doing! And yes, I love Spiritual Sundays too so consider this a honk to you! God bless :) -- dunlizzie
ReplyDeleteI love watching geese (and I love reading Tim Hansel!). Both the mother and father geese are SO very protective of their babies when they are small. We do have much to learn from watching God's creatures.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing and always encouraging us with Spiritual Sundays.
I have often felt we can learn much from birds, and this confirms it. I enjoyed reading and knowing this. Thank you sweet Charlotte. xx
ReplyDeleteAm I missing something here? WE should change leaders? Really? I am glad that Moses didn't read this. We seem to live in a day when everyone wants to be the leader.
ReplyDeleteI guess I am just an old goose....picky, picky, picky. I think I will go back and read it again.
I have to be misreading something.
I do like everything else he wrote. I really don't like being the only one who disagrees with his first point. Maybe you can explain it to me, Charlotte.
Perfect! I am so happy to know you and Ginger both. You both are such a joy.
ReplyDeleteI love watching the geese. They are so observant. Smart creatures, just like their Maker. I love this post.
Your header always reminds me of God's care.
ReplyDeleteToday is a good day to encourage. There are so many of our brothers and sisters who are carrying heavy burdens. I plan to do some sheltering in God's house today!
Blessings,
Pamela
What a sweet devotional! And what sweet encouragement I always find from Spiritual Sunday - from the encouraging Bible verses, to the delightful praise and worship hymn songs and music, to the thoughts God has led different ones to share. And the occasional "special blessing" when He leads so many to share similar things - gives me goose bumps sometimes. Thanks for all your hard work on this. And for your joy-filled encouragement. :)
ReplyDeleteOh, but I like this lesson ... and want to share it in my workplace!
ReplyDeleteThank you for being such an encouragement!
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteYes, I do appreciate the wonderful ministry both Ginger and you share with the Christian community. I am blessed and encouraged as I read the posts written by other Christians for Spiritual Sundays. I usually get to read through only half each weekend, but I am better for reading those posts. Some offer beautiful photos along with inspiring and encouraging words, while others provide an inspirational thought of encouragement.
Each is unique and appreciated.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
I am glad to know that they are honking encouragement. I had always imagined they were saying, "How much further?" "Are we there yet?" "I'm tired." "I'm hungry!"
ReplyDeleteSeriously, though, I think it's interesting that they always have a "lookout" when they are grazing or paddling around in a pond. One always has his head up, ready to sound the alarm if any danger approaches (such as a middle-aged woman with a camera).
I love the picture at the top of your page. The birds are so sweet. So is the girl.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading about geese and must say I am proud to be one of the Lord's flock!
Such encouraging words. Loved them.
ReplyDeleteA very nice post, Charlotte, thank you.
ReplyDeleteEven though I don't link up with you every week I still enjoy visiting as often as I can just so I can read your positive and uplifting words. Thank you for being there for so many of us!
ReplyDeleteBest wishes,
Natasha.
I don't care how good we are at encouraging we can all use a little bit of encouraging on that issue!:) Thanks for the encouragement.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much we can learn from the natural world. Animals are so amazing. Thank you for this beautiful lesson about gueese. And thank you and Charlotte for Spiritual Sundays. It is a blessing to so many:)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful testimony to the loving Creator. I love the way geese look after each other. I hear they are even mates for life. :)
ReplyDelete