For some reason this song has been running through my mind for awhile. I don't know why. I haven't even heard or thought about it in ages. So, I looked it up online. I looked for a video of the song but haven't found it yet. I'll keep looking. The song was written in 1942. I remember hearing it often as a child. Just thinking about the song and singing it in my head brings a lump to my throat right now.
I can remember when it was "cool" to be patriotic. We got a little of that back after 9/11, but it didn't last very long. I'm looking forward to the day when we have a president again who is patriotic; one who is proud and not ashamed of America. I love this quote from Ronald Reagan, "Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came because the US was too strong."
THERE'S A STAR SPANGLED BANNER WAVING SOMEWHERE
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere
In a distant land so many miles away.I can remember when it was "cool" to be patriotic. We got a little of that back after 9/11, but it didn't last very long. I'm looking forward to the day when we have a president again who is patriotic; one who is proud and not ashamed of America. I love this quote from Ronald Reagan, "Of the four wars in my lifetime, none came because the US was too strong."
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere
Only Uncle Sam's great heroes get to go there
Where I wish that I could also live some day.
I'd see Lincoln, Custer, Washington and Perry,
And Nathan Hale and Colin Kelly, too.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
Waving o'er the land of heroes brave and true.
In this war with its mad schemes of destruction
Of our country fair and our sweet liberty,
By the mad dictators, leaders of corruption,
Can't the U. S. use a mountain boy like me?
God gave me the right to be a free American,
And for that precious right I'd gladly die.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
That is where I want to live when I die.
Please don't judge my courage by my twisted leg.
Let me show my Uncle Sam what I can do, sir,
Let me help to bring the Axis down a peg.
If I do some great deed I will be a hero,
And a hero brave is what I want to be.
There's a Star-Spangled Banner waving somewhere,
In that heaven there should be a place for me.
I kept looking and found this video. Not the best quality, but it's not bad. It has the sound of an old record played on an old fashioned record player. Since today is Flag Day I thought this would be a good time to share it.


Charlotte, I like the way you think! I get so upset by the way our political arena is today. Someone posted a piece about tossing all these people out of office in the next two elections that various house and senate seats will be up. Let's clean house in America. People here need to take our country back! This was lovely, thanks for sharing! Anne
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteAmen to your words! Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom.
Hugs,
Meri
What a great post Charlotte. My sister, Karen (Lily Valley blog) teaches school in Indiana. She was telling me recently how the teens don't even stand up during the Pledge of Allegiance. She and the school police officer were the only ones. That is so sad when you consider how many folks have fought, served and lost their lives fighting for our country. A beautiful song you have shared.
ReplyDeleteHappy Flag Day!
ReplyDeleteWonderful song post Charlotte.
Have a great day.
Regards.
I think it's very cool to be patriotic! Loved this post, Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteXO,
Sheila :-)
AMEN!!!
ReplyDeleteWe DO need to clean house in America and get our country back!
Before anyone casts their vote in this country, they need to prove they are legal citizens and answer 3 questions about our country....just my opinion.
Thank you Charlotte for posting this wonderful song and your thoughts.
Stop by and visit my tribute to Flag Day, when you get a chance.
Hugs,
Lynn
~Let FREEDOM Ring!~
Sounds familiar? ... and then, it clicked! I remember my dad singing/humming this tune!
ReplyDeleteThis is perfect post on Flag Day ... thank you, Charlotte!
Myra
very good post. we should always remember our history of freedom. rose
ReplyDeleteI don't remember that song but if Ronald Reagan liked it and you do, then I like it too.
ReplyDeleteThe picture on your banner is just darling!!
ReplyDeleteI remember this song too and I also remember when we were a patriotic nation. I have always been and try to set an example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1dcS7D9a-M
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, give this version a listen. Of course it is by one of the very best Southern Gospel Quartets today Connie