Saturday, June 19, 2010

Let's Pray

First of all I want to wish all you dads out there a Happy Father's Day. I was trying to decide what to share for Spiritual Sundays and ran across this illustration written by Patsy Clairmont from God Uses Cracked Pots. The article is about a mother, but could easily apply to fathers as well.

During a prayer time, as I cried out to the Lord for help with my temper, especially with my son, an idea formed I believe was heaven-sent because it made a difference. 
I was to pray with Marty before I administered any form of discipline. Sometimes those prayers sounded strange and strained as I almost shouted, "Dear Lord, please help this miserable little boy and help his miserable mommy who wants so desperately to raise him in a way that would honor you."
By the time I said "amen," I was almost a reasonable person. I was able to see past my emotions and do what was in Marty's best interest.
Sometimes he needed a firm hand, but he was dealt with in love instead of anger, and the moment drew us together instead of tearing us apart. Many times all he needed was time and a mother's tender touch.
But one day that boy really ticked me off! I remember heading across the room for him like a high-speed locomotive, steam coming out all sides. I had one goal and intent--get the kid, get the kid, get the kid!
Just as I loomed over him, his eyes the size of saucers, he held up one hand and yelled, "Let's pray!"
Marty had learned a valuable lesson in life. "When Mommy talks to Jesus, we're all a lot better off."
I think what Marty learned is a lesson we all can profit from. Not just in the disciplining of children, but in every area of our lives, we're a lot better off when we talk to Jesus.

singing birdsPlease join us each week for Spiritual Sundays where you can share something on your blog by linking there or just go there to read what others have shared. Click HERE to go to that blog. Or, you can just click on the birdies.

25 comments:

  1. Hello Charlotte, Hope you are feeling better today. This is a very good post with a twist of humor. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlotte! Take care, I hope you are welling better. Your post has a nice message today. I really enjoyed it. Hugs Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlotte, I think God orchestrated for your post to come right after the one before you, that is also about prayer. Thank you so mcuh for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those commenting here, remember, it was Ginger who had the root canal, not me. It is easy to get confused since we both host Spiritual Sundays. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Patsy Clairmont, I always look forward to your devotionals at the Women of Faith conventions. I could just picture her telling this story, it puts a smile on my face.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this Charlotte. Sure wish I had read it and followed her advice when my children were small. LOL

    Hope your hubby has a wonderful Fathers Day.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so funny. I have an image of you going for the kid and him holding his hand up saying, let's pray...too funny but great lesson...Thanks Charlotte for you open honest sharing that will definitely stay with me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this with us. It brought a smile on my face. Any of us who are parents can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good lesson and funny story! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great story! Kids are smarter than we know! Bless you and have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this story. It made me laugh, and think, as well. Great point.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great post, Charlotte, thanks for sharing that. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great story! It is so true...the first place we need to go in all situations is to Jesus! God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny! Leave it to a child, but he had learned a valuable lesson. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this story. Funny, but contains so much truth. A lesson well learned.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful story and a wise little boy too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Patsy Clairmont! That book is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing today because that is true for dad's as well as mom's! Thank you for sharing today. I hope the McLinky is working as I would like to ask everyone for prayers for my phamily. Primarily for this health situation with my husbands mom! Thank you for sharing today.Blessings Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. So funny and so true! Hope your hubby had a wonderful Fathers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a cute story yet sooo very true! No matter what we are doing we always need to talk to Jesus!

    Hugs and lots of love to you Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that book !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your help with the link! I love Spiritual Sunday! I appreciate all your kind comments and prayers. Hugs and Blessings to you and tours Anne

    ReplyDelete
  23. Charlotte, What a beautiful but cute post, and so true.
    Thank you sharing. Hope you are doing well.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte