Saturday, October 24, 2009

The End of the Road Is But a Bend in the Road

As you already know, I love poems by Helen Steiner Rice. Today for Spiritual Sundays I've chosen another one of her poems to share. It's called The End of the Road Is But a Bend in the Road. So many times in this life we feel like we've come to the end of our road, when in reality it is just a bend in the road, and you never know what wonderful blessings may be just around the bend. I hope you enjoy this poem as much as I do.

When we feel we have nothing left to give
and we are sure that the "song has ended"
When our day seems over and the shadows fall
and the darkness of night has descended
Where can we find the hand that will dry
the tears that the heart is crying --
There's but one place to go and that is to God
and, dropping all pretense and pride,
We can pour out our problems without restraint
and gain strength with Him at our side --
And together we stand at life's crossroads
and view what we think is the end,
But God has a much bigger vision
and He tells us it's ONLY A BEND --
For the road goes on and is smoother,
and the "Praise in the song" is a "rest,"
And the part that's unsung and unfinished
is the sweetest and richest and best --
So rest and relax and grow stronger,
LET GO and LET GOD share your load,
Your work is not finished or ended,
you've just come to a bend in the road.
- Helen Steiner Rice

P.S. Everyone is welcome to participate in the Spiritual Sundays meme. Click HERE to learn more.

32 comments:

  1. Charlotte, this is such a beautiful poem and one we all need to reflect on daily. It seems so hard to let go and let God sometimes, and yet that's the best thing to do. Thanks for the poem, I am blessed today. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem, Charlotte! I always enjoy her writings. Have a wonderful weekend and a beautiful Sunday.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you have a love for Helen's poem. I have never heard of her until you began sharing her poems with us and I am blessed with each and every one!

    Love and Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poetry, period ... but do enjoy hers immensely. TY for sharing, it came on a very appropriate day ... I hope Sherry & Debbie see this today, with Amy passing over.

    Have a beautiful weekend. TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte,
    I do love Helen Steiner Rice's poetry. I had not heard of this one before and I like it especially because I have always felt that there was something "around the next bend." Thanks so much for sharing this with us today. Have a great week.

    Hugs,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a timely message! I'm struck, too, at how HSR's poems are so timeless and far-reaching.

    Thank you for sharing this special piece today!

    Myra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte,
    I like Helen Steiner Rice poems, too. Thank you for sharing! and thank you again for this opportunity to participate in Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This poem Charlotte is beautiful. I love her too, and this poem is filled with hope. Thank you for hosting Spiritual Sunday.
    Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. The poem you chose today is beautiful. If I can just remind myself of this sometime. I so thank-full for God being there for me as I thought I was at the end but like the poem it was only a bend.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is such a beautiful poem and wonderful reminder for letting go and letting God. Moving over so he can accomplish His purposes!!
    Thanks Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte, you chose a beautiful poem today, one that we all can relate to. I can remember a few times that I felt my life would be ruined, that I would never be able to go on, but those times were bends, and good ones that turned just enough to put me back on the road with the Lord. He always takes our circumstances and turns them around for those that love Him. I know know, when a bend comes, to expect God to be at work in the center of it.

    Thanks for this beautiful post today...so needed by so many, including me.

    God bless,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing another great poem from HSR. That is beautiful and the picture made me reflect that from that point where I couldn't see what lies ahead, I know there's Someone watching out for me. God bless and have a great weekend sister Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so pretty, Charlotte, I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a very comforting thought. I will try to think of that the next time I face that bend.

    God bless you Anne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful poem!!!
    That was a great choice for today!!!
    hugs,
    jamie

    ReplyDelete
  16. As long as their is breath in our lungs and our heart is beating God is not finished with us and what He calls us to do.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely poem, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have a couple of her books of poems as she is a favorite of mine as well. This is an especially good one. It is so hard in this life when we have reached just such a bend, and are sure it is the end of it all, to LET GO and let Him have His way and direct our path. It has been for me anyway, but always the best way to go. Blessings to you this day, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely poem. Very meaningful
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of my favorites. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful poem. Thank you for sharing Charlotte.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you Charlotte for sharing this beautiful poem ,by one of my favorite people. I am truly amazed every time I read one of HSR's poems , and of her insight into the things of God.
    Thank you for sharing. I am so enjoying your music too.

    And like i told Ginger, I am so blessed each week of all the SS posts.
    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem. And so true God's provision for us when we let go and let him. I was Blessed.
    Blessings,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  24. The first poem that I ever read by her, struck me with such feeling.

    Beautiful.
    And Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh and there are many bends in my road and I'm sure it is going to get even more curvy up ahead!

    A good poem...with a great message. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. A bend in the road...what a lovely thought. Thank you, Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Charlotte, Helen's poetry has always been an inpsiration to me, and has inspired me to pursue my poetry journey. Thanks Sis for sharig one of her beautiful heartfelt poems with us today, and thank you for allowing me to be a part of Spiritual Sundays.. God is truly blessing it every Sunday it has grown and has become a blessing to all.

    Hugz Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely poem! I always like Helen Steiner Rice's cards, too. I think there's a book about her now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great poem! We all need to view our problems from God's perspective/eternal perspective.

    Have a blessed week in the Lord, Charlotte!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just beautiful to read especially with the lovely music from your blog playing~ what a treat.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  31. I've always enjoyed Helen Steiner Rice's poetry, thanks for bringing her back to mine.

    This is a wonderful poem and message. I've also heard this quote: "A bend in the road is not the end of the rod, IF you remember to take the turn!" Some people set up camp there! So tempting to let that happen when we are hurting.

    Thanks for this wonderful message!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte