Friday, September 30, 2011

PENNIES FROM HEAVEN?

A Facebook friend shared this story on his fb page. I thought it was good. Gave me something to think about and I thought it would also be of interest to those who read my blog. So here's the story― and I'm sharing it for Spiritual Sundays. 
You always hear the usual stories of pennies on the sidewalk being good luck, gifts from angels, etc. This is the first time I've ever heard this twist on the story. Gives you something to think about..... 
Several years ago, a friend of mine and her husband were invited to spend the weekend at the husband's employer's home. My friend, Arlene, was nervous about the weekend. The boss was very wealthy, with a fine home on the waterway, and cars costing more than her house.

The first day and evening went well, and Arlene was delighted to have this rare glimpse into how the very wealthy live. The husband's employer was quite generous as a host, and took them to the finest restaurants. Arlene knew she would never have the opportunity to indulge in this kind of extravagance again, so was enjoying herself immensely.

As the three of them were about to enter an exclusive restaurant that evening, the boss was walking slightly ahead of Arlene and her husband. He stopped suddenly, looking down on the pavement for a long, silent moment.
Arlene wondered if she was supposed to pass him. There was nothing on the ground except a single darkened penny that someone had dropped, and a few cigarette butts. Still silent, the man reached down and picked up the penny.He held it up and smiled, then put it in his pocket as if he had found a great treasure. How absurd! What need did this man have for a single penny? Why would he even take the time to stop and pick it up?
Throughout dinner, the entire scene nagged at her. Finally, she could stand it no longer. She casually mentioned that her daughter once had a coin collection, and asked if the penny he had found had been of some value. A smile crept across the man's face as he reached into his pocket for the penny and held it out for her to see.. She had seen many pennies before! What was the point of this? 'Look at it,' he said. 'Read what it says.' She read the words ' United States of America .' 'No, not that; read further.' 'One cent?' 'No, keep reading..''In God we Trust?' 'Yes!' 'And... ?' 
He explained, 'And if I trust in God, the name of God is holy, even on a coin. Whenever I find a coin I see that inscription. It is written on every single United States coin, but we never seem to notice it! God drops a message right in front of me telling me to trust Him. Who am I to pass it by? When I see a coin, I pray, I stop to see if my trust IS in God at that moment. I pick the coin up as my response to God; that I do trust in Him. For a short time, at least, I cherish it as if it were gold. I think it is God's way of starting a conversation with me. Lucky for me, God is patient and pennies are plentiful! '
When I was out shopping today, I found a penny on the sidewalk. I stopped and picked it up, and realized that I had been worrying and fretting in my mind about things I cannot change. I read the words, 'In God We Trust,' and had to laugh. Yes, God, I get the message.
It seems that I have been finding an inordinate number of pennies in the last few months, but then, pennies are plentiful! And, God is patient..
Thank you, Dave, for sharing this story. Just a thought from Charlotte:  I wonder if dimes would 'work'. Yes, I think so. Maybe 10 times as much. I think I find more dimes than pennies. I hope I remember this story next time I see a coin and I stop to pick it up.

Now you can click "like" to like this post on Facebook. How about that. 

22 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea and reminder. Next time I see a coin, I will surely remember to put my trust in God. Thank you Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need that reminder today to trust! Broken water pipe, water shut off, and a few other challenges - Am I trusting God to work everything out? Think I need to remember that and practice it even if I don't find a coin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story, and a timely reminder! Thank you, Charlotte.

    Fancy Horse

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great story...loved it. thanks for sharing it Charlotte...I won't look at pennies the same way anymore. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Spiritual Sunday weekend, Charlotte! Thanks for always encouraging us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful story, Charlotte. Happy Spiritual Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! This story is meant to be shared.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story, Charlotte and wonderful reminder to trust God. I find my thoughts will stray too, and this is a great reminder to use on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powerful story. I needed this reminder and I'm sure each time I find a coin this story will echo in my ears.

    Trusting in God!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pennies are plentiful and God is patient. Amen! So thankful that we can be reminded of Him in so many places.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Charlotte:

    Such a lovely story and I confess, I've never thought about "In God We Trust" when I find a coin lying on the ground.

    Many blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Charlotte...what a wonderful story!

    It seems God works in many ways through a penny. Have you ever read Joyce Meyer's book "The Penny?" It is such a good book!

    Have a blessed weekend ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fantastic, Charlotte! Completely revolutionized the way I look at money..in particular, the penny !! :>) God really can be seen in EVERY aspect of our lives. Thank you for sharing this ~ Much love ~ alice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing this, Charlotte! I'll never pass up those pennies on the ground again. Jane, also known as anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we were little kids my uncle Louie would take us on outings and he would toss coins on the ground. We were small and never knew it was him! I still remember that! SO when I find a penny on the ground I always look upward and thank God then Uncle Louie for tossing that little coin my way! This was a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Charlotte, this was such a heartwarming story! And there's so much truth in it. Even though that man was wealthy in terms of the world's view, he had the true secret of life. Only trust in the Lord is worth anything - and with Him in our hearts, we are rich indeed!

    And that is my two cents worth!! :)

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! I will look at pennies in a whole new light after today, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a sweetly encouraging story. We already watch for pennies. My beloved dad never left one lie as he was a collector. After he went home to heaven, we told my mom when she spotted one to think of it as a hug from him. I'll have to share this story with her as well. Double hugs all around. Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll never look at a dropped coin the same ever again!!! And....I'm so not ready for CHRISTmas!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing that great story, Charlotte. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  21. In our country, all our coins and bills don't have that inscription, but I thank God that He shows His abundant mercy in many different ways :-).

    Rina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte