Friday, October 7, 2011

BULLY CACTUS

I never thought a cactus could be a "bully" but the thought came to my mind recently when one of our barrel cactuses bit the dust (or actually it was rocks). A dear friend, a cactus grower and cactus expert gave us several cacti when we first moved here 22 years ago. She and her husband planted them for us. They grew a lot, the ones that survived. Some didn't make it beyond a few years, but the saguaro and two barrel cactus plants plus a couple of others have been growing all these years.


See the one laying on the ground? The one like it was leaning into it and evidently it put too much pressure on the other one and it fell. I kind of expected the leaning one to fall but I thought maybe the other one would hold it up and keep it from falling. Instead of holding the other one up, it fell. It seems I'm always trying to draw spiritual applications for events like this. The following scripture came to my mind. I looked it up in Bible Gateway.

1 Thessalonians 5:11

New International Version (NIV)
11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.

So what is the message? Don't discourage each other. Don't be a bully and push someone down. Of course the cactus didn't do this maliciously. It was just doing what a cactus does. We have a choice. We don't have to drag or knock someone down. We have the choice to help them and build them up. One more reason I'm glad I'm not a cactus. lol

If you did not come here from Spiritual Sundays, I hope you will click HERE, go there and check out that blog. Many wonderful inspirational posts are shared there each week. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello dear Charlotte,
    I like your analogy. It's short and gets the point across. They certainly are interesting plants, aren't they? Thanks for sharing and for your visit.

    Blessings and hugs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this Charlotte. We all would rather receive encouragement and support than criticism. I always think of how Job's friends were so quick with judgmental answers on Job's suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Encouragement is my passion. I hope I'm not a prickly person. I want to lift up, not knock down. I do love all those cacti and the pretty pink plant behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful analogy, Charlotte.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always my fervent prayer to be an encouragement and inspiration to others, and when I do fail, it really saddens me. I don't want to be a cactus - it doesn't just push others so that they would fall (as you've observed), it also pricks those who come near it. I don't want to be "pricking" those who touch me ~ :-).


    Have a blessed week,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte