Friday, May 20, 2011

TRUSTING IN ALL CIRCUMSTANCES


The apostle Paul made the above statement from a prison cell. Being in prison was not a good thing but his imprisonment meant that the he was able to preach to the prison guards and it gave others courage to be bold in proclaiming the gospel.

There are so many modern day examples of how terrible circumstances have resulted in God being glorified and many people receiving Christ as their savior as a result. Ask Joni Eareckson Tada. Her story is well known. One not so well known but a shining example is Sherry Leonard. When Sherry was young she contracted muscular dystrophy. She was so distraught that she contemplated suicide but after she encountered Jesus Christ, she realized she had a choice about what her outlook would be. "Muscular dystrophy is my gift from God," she later proclaimed. It gives her the opportunity to share her relationship with Jesus Christ. I agree with Tim Hansel. In his book Keep On Dancin' he makes this statement. "I was humbled to think of the many times I have complained about some of the paltry problems and pains that I've had to endure. Sherry's joy is radiant even though she will never be able to walk, even though she has to use one arm to lift the other. Her zest for life and God are contagious."

I know some of our Spiritual Sunday participants are going through some very rough times. I'm always encouraged and uplifted when I read some of the things they share about how in their suffering they have learned to rely more on God. It gives hope to others in similar circumstances to know they are not alone and they too can trust God to see them through. I want to take this opportunity to again express my gratitude to all of you who share with us each week. You're the best.

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful heart warming Sunday each week, with you Charlotte. Thank you for giving us all the opportunity to 'gather' together ...

    Have a beautiful weekend ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    PS always helps when there are no typo's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true Charlotte. When I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 I TRULY learned that my faith was real...and strong. I think we never really know until it's tested. Great post.

    Happy weekend hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post and for reminding us to keep our trials in prospective. God bless.
    Visiting from Spiritual Sundays

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so important to remember that no matter what we face, God can be glorified through our circumstances. How we face things is a witness to others. Blessings:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God bless you, and thank you for sharing this, it made me cry!! I have been coming through the VALLEY for months now, and know, that nothing can seperate us from the love of God.. I cannot imagine Pauls prison in those times, cold, dirty, and very discouraging. And Joni, how sweet she is, we are blessed to own 2 of her pencil drawings..and finally Sherry, what a special lady. Thank you Charlotte. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an encouraging post, Charlotte. Joni's story is amazing - she has touched so many lives. I had not heard of Sherry before.

    When I was a teenager, I made the comment that I would rather die than to lose one of my limbs. Thank God, He had mercy on me and I still have all four limbs. Today, I would say it different and I pray that I would have the courage of Joni and Sherry if in fact I was faced with the possibility.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just heard Joni speaking on KLove radio station...what an amazing woman praising an Almighty God!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charlotte,This post touched my heart. I was laying in bed last night and I was thinking of all the wonderful and amazing things the Lord has done for me. Although I have never had an illness this bad,I always give glory to the small and big things that he does in my life.
    God Bless and Hugs,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Charlotte,

    Like you, I am encouraged by the participants of Spiritual Sunday. Some posts are inspirational, some are informative; all edify. When I learn what others face (or have faced), I am humbled because my circumstances pale in comparison. I am thankful for God's grace, realizing that His grace is sufficient for me.

    Blessings and peace.

    MTJ

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always find myself coming back to Spiritual Sundays, thanks so much for all that you do... I can always come here to get inspired. and encouraged.
    Sweet Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Charlotte, it is so encouraging to read people's testimonies here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so encouraged by what you and the other writers share. God is glorified.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Charlotte, Thank you again for giving us a way for others to read our blogs. Bless you! Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's sort of weird how those things we thought we're the worst things that could happen turn out to be a 'blessing.' Great encouragment...Thanks Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Life happens. Sometimes it's painful. Those are the times I offer to God, yearning for Him to use my trials to bring glory to Himself. It may take me a while to make my offering. Often I don't understand the "why" of it all. But in my darkest times I have seen God bring beauty from the pain.

    What a blessing this reminder has been to me.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an encouraging devotion for all of us from young to seniors! And so true! It's vital to keep the right perspective about everything, as God keeps reminding me, including through lovely words of encouragement like this :) Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glorify God and enjoy him forever!

    We are to glorify Him THROUGH our circumstances not because of them. When we accepted our salvation we became eternal. Our lives are but a vapor in light of eternity and it is NOW that we are making disciples. We are to be a strange people. What is stranger than someone who joyfully calls M.S. a gift from God?!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Charlotte, it is so important to remember that others are going through trials and difficult times. Sometimes, we mistakenly think that others are free of trials or have figured out how to keep it altogether in the tough times.

    Tough times are tough--and for some of us it takes longer to navigate through them; to put our dependence on the Lord and His Word. But He is faithful to carry us through.

    When we are in relatively easier times, we need to strengthen our relationship with the Lord and prepare for the trials that are ahead.

    Thank you for this reminder of compassion, empathy, and readiness.

    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this encouraging post!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful post, Charlotte ~ Your blog looks lovely with the precious birds. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Charlotte, What a beautiful and inspiring post, my friend! How are you doing? and how is Clif? You both inspire me so and I hope you're doing well!!!
    Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte