There are so many good devotionals in Warren Wiersbe's little book called Pause for Power. Today I want to share with you the one called "Lighten Up." It's short but the message is good.
Read I John 2:9-11
Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing in him to make him stumble.
A man who was walking down a dark street one night saw a pinpoint of light coming toward him in a faltering way. He thought perhaps the person carrying the light was ill or drunk, but as he drew nearer he could see a man carrying a flashlight and a white cane.
Why would a blind man be carrying a light? the man wondered, and then he decided to ask.
The blind man smiled. "I carry my light not so I can see, but so that others can see me. I cannot help being blind," he said, "but I can help being a stumbling block."
The best way to help other Christians not to stumble is to love them. Love makes us stepping-stones; hatred (or any of its "cousins," such as envy or malice) makes us stumbling blocks. It is important that we Christians exercise love in a local church or else there will be problems and disunity. If we are falling over each other, instead of lifting each other higher, we will never become a happy spiritual family.As I was thinking about this devotional, I thought about how so many of you who share on Spiritual Sundays "lift us up" by sharing your hearts with us each week. You can click HERE to go to that blog and click on the different links. You will find a big variety of interesting and inspirational thoughts.


Charlotte, this is so very true...I think unity and love are two of the most important things the church can do to show the world God's great love! Thank you for sharing this :-) Lori
ReplyDeleteWow! That is great! You and Clif must have the most amazing library. :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely post! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOh, I like this! So true!
ReplyDeleteI used to listen to Warren Wiersbe on the radio; I always liked what he had to say.
thanks for this Charlotte. And I think you show love and unity in SS.....you have managed to get a whole bunch of us together for one purpose...to shine hope and love in HIm. Wishing you an awesome weekend.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this! What wonderful words and a good reminder.
ReplyDeleteI love the encouragement I receive from other bloggers and hope they receive some from my words.
ReplyDeleteI like that, "love makes us stepping-stones." I'd much rather be a stepping-stone than a stumbling block! Love shows itself in the most peculiar places, like...from the flashlight of a blind man in the dark.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, thanks for sharing this. I tried to enter a prayer request at Spiritual Sundays but for some reason my email would not connect. I posted when I could but my mom is much worse and I have had little time.I just placed her in assisted living.She is 85 and wants to be at home but it is no longer safe for her. It is heart wrenching for both of us. Please keep us in your prayers. Only God can give her peace.
ReplyDeletesuch a good post. I hope and pray as I go through my daily life that others see Jesus in me. He is my light and I want Him to shine through me. Striving always to be a stepping stone for others and not a stumbling block. Thank you Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteSuch a good point.Thanks!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. Thank you, Charlotte.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this beautiful story, Charlotte. Love, for me, is something that is continuously learned and prayed for to always inhabit our hearts. One may say the right words or do the right things, but if one has not love, it is nothing. Love is high, but with the Lord's help and our willingness to be a vessel, we can attain it.
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed week, Charlotte!
Rina
A great devotional, Charlotte, thank you. Blessings ~
ReplyDelete"Love makes us stepping-stones." I love that!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love this story! I want my light to shine! I hope I'm never a stumbling block. A good reminder to search my heart and ask God to reveal where I may be causing others to stumble.
ReplyDeleteThat was a wonderful story. And it begs the question, who have I caused to stumble? Spiritual Sundays and the people I have met there continue to be a joy!
ReplyDeleteThat's a wonderful example. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete