Saturday, November 26, 2011

O Little Town of Bethlehem

This has been a favorite song of mine for many years. I was glad to find out the history.

On Christmas Eve, 1865, Phillips Brooks was in Jerusalem, a trip intended to inspire spiritual rebirth after the horrors of the Civil War. Just a few months earlier he had spoken at the funeral of President Abraham Lincoln. That clear night as he walked the streets of the Holy City, he had a sudden inspiration. Renting a horse, he set out for Bethlehem. After a solitary journey under the clear night sky, Brooks reached the tiny remote village and was surrounded by the spirit of the first Christmas. His impoverished soul was refreshed as he considered what had happened there so many years before. Three years later on Christmas Eve, 1868, as he sat alone in his study preparing his sermon for the next day, he felt inspired to pen the words to this beautiful carol.

O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM 

O little town of Bethlehem, how still we see thee lie!
Above thy deep and dreamless sleep the silent stars go by.
Yet in thy dark streets shineth the everlasting Light; 
The hopes and fears of all the years are met in thee tonight.

For Christ is born of Mary and gathered all above.
While mortals sleep the angels keep their watch of wondering love.
O morning stars together, proclaim the holy birth.
And praises sing to God the king, and peace to men on earth.

How silently, how silently the wondrous gift is given;
So God imparts to human hearts the blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear his coming, but in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still, the dear Christ enters in.

Where children pure and happy pray to the blessed Child,
Where misery cries out to Thee, Son of the mother mild:
Where charity stands watching and faith holds wide the door,
The dark night wakes, the glory breaks, and Christmas comes once more.

O Holy Child of Bethlehem, descend to us, we pray;
Cast out our sin and enter in, be born in us today.
We hear the Christmas angels the great glad tidings tell;
O come to us, abide with us, our Lord Emmanuel!

As this new Christmas season has arrived and we get caught up in the shopping, the hustle and bustle of the holidays, I hope we will often stop to remember that night in Bethlehem. And then pause to dwell on the reality that He is the reason for the season. 

For links to many inspiring posts, please click HERE to visit Spiritual Sundays. You may want to participate by sharing a link there as well.

12 comments:

  1. Charlotte,
    Dropping in for a visit is like a blessing of Christmas joy. Your blog looks beautiful and is full of the Christmas spirit.
    Thank you for your visit. Just wanted to let you know that I am taking a break for awhile because of personal reasons. Hope to join you again one day soon.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful Christmas blog to start off the holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...even before I knew Him....we'd sing this song at school and I always loved it. He is the reason for the season!!! Hope you're having a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte - Thank you for this story. I love to learn these things about what we might have taken for grated. One thing that really jumped into my spirit my first Christmas after accepting Christ some 28 years ago - was the way to being saved - the theology of it - had always been written into the lyrics of all the familiar Christmas carols - like Little Town of Bethlehem - and my personal favorite, Hark the Herald Angels Sing. I knew the words - but only after becoming alive in Christ did I actually understand what those words meant!
    Thanks for sharing this week! Hope to get back on track with some devotional writing for Spiritual Sundays in the new year!
    Joy!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always loved this song too. I'm trying to enjoy all the things about Christmas this year. Instead of complaining about the chaos, I *hope* to choose to see them as opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Charlotte! I love the look of your blog right now! So elegant and seasonal! Just lovely.

    I never knew the story behind this beautiful Christmas song. I treasured it greatly. Emmanuel - is there anything more beautiful??

    GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yes, dear Charlotte, I've begun praying that our family's focus and efforts will not be lost in the hustle and bustle of Christmas but to celebrate it CHRIST-filled.

    Beautiful makeover you did to your site. Fantastic fonts, too! :)

    Have a blessed week,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the story behind this lovely Christmas hymn. I'll have to share this with my grandkids. Have a blessed and beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is truely one of my favorite Christmas Carols. Thank you for the background on this beautiful hymn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love posts that teach me history of common things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post! thanks for sharing...Loves soraya

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love learning the history behind hymns and carols . Wonderful post ! Rejoice ,Christ is born in Bethlehem !

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte