The Treasure of Love is not a religious song but I think it can be adapted to spirituality. After all, where did "love" originate? Certainly God is love and He has put love in all our hearts.
Who could begin to count all the poems, songs, and books written about the love of God? One of God's first commandments was to love Him.
Deuteronomy 6:5
New International Version (NIV)
5 Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.
“‘Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD.
I always think of the "Love your neighbor as yourself" as a New Testament command, but it goes back to the beginning. Did you know it was commanded way back in Leviticus?
And who is my neighbor? The story of the Good Samaritan answers that question. (Luke chapter 10).
I Corinthians chapter 13 is one of my favorites. It describes love perfectly.
LOVE IS PATIENT,
LOVE IS KIND,
IT DOES NOT ENVY;
LOVE DOES NOT BOAST,
IT IS NOT ARROGANT,
IT DOES NOT BEHAVE RUDELY;
IT DOES NOT SEEK ITS OWN,
IT IS NOT PROVOKED,
IT KEEPS NO RECORD OF WRONGS;
IT DOES NOT REJOICE IN UNRIGHTEOUSNESS BUT REJOICES WITH THE TRUTH;
IT BEARS ALL THINGS,
BELIEVES ALL THINGS,
HOPES ALL THINGS,
ENDURES ALL THINGS.
LOVE NEVER FAILS.
Knowing that most of you have probably never heard Clyde McPhatter's song and might be a little curious about it, I decided to include it in this post. The quality is not good. It's like listening to an old 78 rpm record. I love the words that say it's stronger than diamonds, worth more than gold. This is the treasure that never grows old. So true.


I did not know that loving one another was also written in Leviticus...Great post, Charlotte
ReplyDeleteI have said it before, and I'll say it again, but God made it so simple (reinforced by Jesus in the New Testament). Love God with your whole heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself. If we just did that, love God and love our neighbor, what a different world this would be indeed! I listened to a bit of the song; I like it!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you have a great weekend!
betty
Lovely post, Charlotte and I enjoyed listening to the song. I don't recall ever hearing that before, but my older brother had a Clyde McPhatter song from the early sixties called "Little Bitty Pretty One."
ReplyDeleteblessings,
Joan
I think I remember that song; it sounded familiar.
ReplyDelete"Love"ly post!
Nancy (Fancy Horse)
Love. For ALL the law is fulfilled in one word: thou shalt love thy neighbor as thy self. From the OT to the present, this has been God's design for all humanity.
ReplyDeleteAs for myself, I have to go back to 1 Cor. love chapter to meditate on it, chew and digest it, every now and then ~ sigh. I believe, learning and living love is a lifetime process.
Blessings,
Rina
And oh, though I haven't heard the song before, it reminds me of my childhood days when I stayed with my grandma and my aunts would play those kinds of love songs... a long, long time ago ~ wistful smile.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Rina
God's love is a perfect love. It surrounds me daily. I wish I could love like that. Each day I ask God to help me love like He does.
ReplyDeleteI will need to Google that song and see what comes up! God's love is our perfect treasure, we hold it in our hearts.
ReplyDeleteI've been reading 1 Corinthians 13 all week. Such a timely post for me here! So thankful that God started it all--loving us first so we can learn to love him and others.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, A beautiful post. The "Love Chapter" is the last thing my Dad marked in his Bible before he went to be with the Lord. I'm thankful we serve a God who is LOVE!
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteFirst, thanks for fixing my prayer blog's link! I must have been typing way too fast!!
Love is a treasure! It is a treasure when given to us and when we give it away. But, mostly, it is a true treasure knowing our Father loves us! I'm glad you posted the 1 Corinthians 13 verse...the love verse. Have you ever read it and then substituted the word "love" with "God"? Try it...it will really reinforces that God IS love!
Blessings!
You are so amazing Charlotte! You really know the bible well! I am always cross references the old and new testament and so many messages are in both places. God really knew how to put his book together!
ReplyDeleteMy comment posted before I could edit and correct! But I really did enjoy your post today. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOh, weren't those old songs the best? I remember hearing that one as they played it all the way through the 60s, too.
ReplyDeleteThere is no greater treasure than love. And God is love. He is our treasure and in Him we have all that we desire from love.
Great post and trip down memory lane.
Blessings,
Janis
I Corinthians chapter 13 is one of my favorites too, it was read at our wedding by my brother in law (he was a Pastor, he watches us from heaven now) This is a lovely post. Hugs
ReplyDeleteDefinitely some of the favorite encouraging Bible verses for my grandkids and me. Thank you for the delightful story and reminders. Have a blessed week.
ReplyDeleteI always think too that to love God is the greatest commandment. I so appreciate your kind words and prayers for my situation with mom.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Gayle from Behind the Gate
I'm on the iPad and it wouldn't let me listen to the song but your post was something I really needed to read. Don't ever want to forget His love that was so strong it cut through and changed me. 1 Cor. 13 says it right on. Thanks Charlotte for this awesome post...
ReplyDeleteLove is the greatest commodity we will ever posses!
ReplyDelete