Friday, October 28, 2011

Fearing Life's Final Moments



I've been reading Max Lucado's little book entitled Imagine Your Life Without Fear. It is a tiny book, just 46 pages (small pages) but if you know Max, you know he has packed a lot into those few pages. I was discussing with hubby this morning what I was going to write about for Spiritual Sundays this week. I told him I was thinking about using something out of Max's book and adding some of my thoughts to it. He said "You're going to improve on Max's book?" I replied, "Yes, he needs a little help. LOL". That really is a laugh. I know. But anyway, here goes.

In this book Max lists several things that people are fearful about and gives a scripture for each one. The one fear that caught my eye this morning was the fear of death. So many of our friends and family have already passed through the valley of the shadow of death. We just found out that another member of our former church has died and the memorial service for her will be Monday. Monday is Halloween. Seems like a rather strange time for a funeral, but that's when it is. Ruth was a Christian, a faithful dedicated Christian and I know she had no fear of death. I'm not sure how old she was but she was about 90 or close to it.

The scripture Max used for this subject was John 14:1-3. "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." Now here is my thought about it. Jesus has been there preparing a place for about 2,000 years now. Is there any way we can imagine how magnificent it already is? Can you imagine spending eternity in such a place? And since He hasn't come back to the earth as yet, I assume he's still preparing. Maybe not. Perhaps it is all prepared. I have the strong feeling that His return cannot be too far away in the future. There are many things that call for our attention and things we can worry about, but it seems to me that if we are wise we will be less concerned about our problems here on earth, and more concerned about being ready to meet Him when He comes. If you are reading this and you don't believe you are ready, I hope you will think very seriously about getting ready. And not just think about it. DO IT.

Reading what others have shared on Spiritual Sundays is a good place to find inspiration. Click HERE to go to that blog.


26 comments:

  1. Amen, Charlotte... I was just speaking with my Father yesterday about my Grandfather. He is 92 and "ready to go", but Dad sees that he is fearful of the process. This verse speaks comfort not only to the where, but the 'how'. "Trust in God, trust also in Me..." Death is the way He chooses to come and get us! I am praying that my Grandpa's heart will not be troubled as he approaches the veil. Thank you for this beautiful post, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this book very much too. We chose these verses for our son's funeral. He died when he was only 25 and we found it a comfort to know God had prepared a place for him.....We do need to all be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Max Lucado is a favorite of mine; he does have a way of saying a lot with just a few words! I like this Scripture too; I imagine the place Jesus is preparing for me, but I have told him on occasion a little shack would be just as fine as long as I get to see him every day in heaven! I also like Psalm 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his faithful servants. I took great comfort in that after my mom died.

    I am ready, when the time comes, either if I look up and my Redemption is here or he calls me home :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte - we were talking in Bible study last night about those who fear death. One of the women told a story of a hospice nurse who has been with countless people at the time of their death. Some, when the time approaches are peaceful and anticipating that they will soon be with Jesus. She has seen the other side also, and the reactions of some just before their death. How sad to know that those who have not accepted Christ as Savior will spend an eternity in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would enjoy this book...lately it seems we have heard of so many people facing cancer...and so many who do not know the love of Jesus...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charlotte, I always enjoy Max Lucado's writings. He's a favourite of mine. Right now I'm reading Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven. It's hard to put down, actually. My hubby will be leading a Bible Study on it in the very near future using the book. I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for your visit today and have a lovely weekend, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Charlotte. Max Lucado is always "right on the money" with his thoughts.

    Hugs,
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that verse. It is so comforting, and encouraging. I love the way you have illustrated it, the picture and your comments.

    Nancy (Fancy Horse)

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post thanks for sharing...God bless you loves from the netherlands...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe that's why everyday, we rise up and go about the Lord's business, like writing about Him and sharing His Word and testimonies so that others may also receive this gift of eternal life. "Set your affections on things above, not on things on the earth".

    Thank you for this reminder today. Have a blessed weekend,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read of any of his stuff although I've heard his name. I like what you said about what he wrote....funny how trusting HIm takes away fears...even the fear of dying.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great reminder. I love Max L. and write down so many of his words and encouragements. I have to often remind myself of the dangers of having a fearful heart.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with you. Jesus is coming soon.
    Amen! AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've just finished reading the book "Where happy little bluebirds fly" written by Kaye Wilson where she details the horrific ordeal she went through last December when she faced death on the Israel National Trail. It wasn't her turn that day but for her dear missionary friend from the US - it was her time to be ready. We just never know what the next day holds for us - it's wise to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Charlotte, such a beautiful post. These scriptures speak to me individually, I really need to be less concerned over worries here in the earth. Thanks for the reminder.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you make a great addition to Max's words, Charlotte. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for that encouraging post, Charlotte. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely message,Charlotte, and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet and comforting post. I love those encouraging Bible verses! And oh, as the old Christian hymn goes, "I'm but a stranger here, HEAVEN is my home" and I can't wait! :) Come quickly Lord Jesus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for hosting Spiritual Sundays, Charlotte. Enjoyed your post very much. As the song goes: "When we all get to Heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be!" Thanks for edifying all of us today. Bess

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amen, Charlotte!
    I enjoy Max too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fear cripples us from sooo much! For some it's not death, but living! Regardless ~ It is only through Christ that our Fear can be conquered!

    I am soo excited to see our true "Home"! Isn't it just amazing to know we are unable to even imagine what it will be like!!?? God has blessed us here with sooo many AMAZING things...to know that Eternity is beyond anything we can imagine...WOW! IT JUST BLOWS ME AWAY!!

    Love this post! Thank you Charlotte! Oh ya, YES, you definitely helped Max out today :) Love & Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful post Charlotte!
    I LOVE Max Lucado! He is such a powerful and thought provoking author. He truly knows how to paint a picture with words! I have not read the book you posted about - I will have to look for it. Sounds like it will be good - like ALL of his books that I have read so far.
    Blessings on your day today,
    Kymber

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fear is a terrible thing but Max covers it in his own great style. If all God's children could just learn to trust in everything, I wonder what changes the world would have!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well said, Charlotte. I have always struggled with my fear of dying. I know, I'm not proud of that. I absolutely know that I will be with Jesus, and I believe that with all my heart. It's just that the enemy taunts me with the *unknown* parts of it.

    Here's a verse that really spoke to me a couple of years ago:

    "Only in this way [dying] could [Jesus] set free all who have lived their lives as slaves to the fear of dying." (Hebrews 2:15, NLT)

    All of a sudden one day I read that verse anew. Yes, Jesus' death did indeed set us free from the power of death. BUT, in this verse, it tells us that His death also freed us from the FEAR of dying. That was a huge revelation to me. I am no longer a slave to the power of death, yes - but Jesus also wants to set me free from the FEAR of it.

    Oh, what a Savior we have!!

    GOD BLESS!

    (P.S. I hope you don't mind - I just loved the little fireplace at the top of your sidebar. I grabbed one myself for my blog. OK with you?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte