Charles Spurgeon was a famous preacher in London who lived and died in the 1800's. I like his description of the Biblical view of death.
I'm standing on the seashore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She's an object of beauty and strength, and I stand and watch her until, at length, she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and the sky come down to mingle with each other. And then I hear someone on my side saying, "There, she's gone."
Gone where? Gone from my sight, that is all. She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side. And just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of destination. Her diminished size is me, not in her.
And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "There, she's gone," there are other eyes watching her coming, and there are other voices ready to take up the glad shout, "Here she comes!"
And that is dying.I love Spurgeon's description of death. I'm so thankful that Christ came and taught us how to live and how to die. I'm so grateful that He was willing to die and then be resurrected to conquer death. Because of His sacrifice, we have the assurance that we will also be resurrected never to die again. Why would anyone reject this wonderful gift and the one who gave it?
I hope you will visit our Spiritual Sundays blog and share with us there or read what others have shared there and be blessed.


Hello Charlotte, My deepest sympathy in the loss of your friend. Thank you for sharing these calming and reassuring words today. They are very comforting for me as we approach father's day. God bless, Mildred Nalley
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you posted Rev. Spurgeon's description! ... I clipped it some 30 years ago, and still find comfort in that analogy.
ReplyDeleteMy sympathies on Brad's passing. The church I used to attend refers to death as "making transition." I don't know about that, but I do like their quote, "We're all spiritual beings, just going through a human experience."
Wishing you a beautiful weekend!
Hi Charlotte:
ReplyDeletePlease accept my sympathies at the loss of your friend.
I like Spurgeon's quote about dying. Our worship pastor often referse to the death of a believer as, "he/she received their promotion to Heaven."
For the believer, death isn't the end, but the beginning.
Blessings,
Joan
Dear Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteMy sympathies on Brad's passing.
Thank you for sharing the words written by Charles Spurgeon... Such comforting words.
I also find comfort reading the poem by Mary Frye.
"Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there.I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet white doves in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there,I did not die."
Take good care of yourself. God bless.
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI too am sorry for the loss of your friend. I'm just a bit younger I think and many of us are dealing with againg parents. The peace by Spurgeon is excellent....I love the line, "She is just as large in mast and hull and spar as she was when she left my side." That's how i want to think of myself when I get to heaven, only perfected by the blood of Jesus Christ. What a wonderful post to share.
Good morning Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry for your loss. It is hard loosing family members and friends. But I am so very thankful to Him who has made a way for all of us to be together again. I enjoyed Charles Spurgeon's writing. He sure had a way with words, that gentleman! Thanks for sharing and have a lovely weekend.
Blessings,
Sandi
Charlotte, Thank you for this quote by Spurgeon. I had someone share this with me verbally when my son died, but I never knew the source or exact wording. This is so beautiful.
ReplyDeleteSeen the death of my grandmother I carried that quote in my wallet …it give me great comfort.. Thanks you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteWishing you a beautiful & blesed weekend!
Death is such a hard concept for us to grasp down here, and even though we grieve, I am thankful we do grieve with home. The Spurgeon thought is a good picture to carry with us. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you have the sorrow of losing your friend. These times are hard. I love the picture of those on heaven's shore saying, "There she comes."
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to Heaven,
Pamela
Yes death is around us all the time, not only in the aged, yet that is when we expect it. I am aging also, and feeling the slowness. I was always taugh the saying of, He/she has departed for Glory...
ReplyDeleteI feel Heaven is right here..we just move from one dimention into the next. After reading many out of the body experiences, I think "what a joy to go at last." Have a beautiful day Charlotte..God Bless.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. I'm am so blessed that I know the Lord and believe in him. This is such a emotional post today,it touched my heart.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings,
Ginger
we were driving the other day and my 10 yr. old piped up from the backseat. "Mom...sometimes it feels like life is like we're in a dream. And when we die...that's when we really wake up." I thought that was so profound. Sorry to hear about Brad but I bet he's dancing right now....and really living as he's meant to...Have a great rest of the weekend. ☺
ReplyDeleteOh Charlotte - what a blessing this was. I've heard it quoted and, in fact, when I read your first line, my first thought was - so true, but it's only like they're gone on a boat for awhile, because of this. But then I read on and discovered you had the whole story, which I've never read. What a sweet and special treat - I'm definitely saving this AND sharing this - starting with Twitter and Facebook. I know it will bless many of us in the Sandwich Generation! Thank you :)
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, My sympathies on your dear friend's death. I never read Rev. Spurgeon's description on death. Thank you for sharing this lovely and comforting piece. May your week be blessed. Lynn
ReplyDeleteYour quote from Spurgeon reminded me of one of my former pastor's comments at a funeral service. He said the loved one that had died had just gone ahead into "the other room", and soon we would enter that other room and be with them. May God comfort you as only He can. May you rest in the shelter of His wings!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your friend, Charlotte. That is a beautiful post, thank you. Blessings ~
ReplyDeleteI am sorry for your loss. Such a beautiful post that you have shared...
ReplyDelete"Her diminished size is me, not in her." Bigger more beautiful things await us all, I can only imagine.
Blessings,
Misty
If only there were Facebook in heaven so we could still be in touch someway with those we love and see what they are up to! But seriously isn't it a comfort to know that only our earthly body is passing but that our soul is eternal?
ReplyDeleteOur life is only a blink of an eye compared to eternity so it is only "til we meet again" rather than farewell.
Wishing your church God's comforting embrace during this time of loss.
Christina
Hi Charlotte waht a cute header with your Pic. Thanks for your visit, I'm trying to get back to blogging it's been a wild journey with my help, but God is good!!! I know what you mean, My experience is that lately I have been seeing so many young ones going home to glory. From little babies to those still under 50. But I know the Lord calls them home for a reason. So glad to see you my sister, thanks for your visit.
ReplyDeleteHugz Lorie