Friday, June 24, 2011

GOD'S PROTECTION

So many times we believe that if we are under God's protection, and we are, that we should be protected from all sorrows, sicknesses and - well - everything harmful to us. Reading Nancy Guthrie's book Hearing Jesus Speak into Your Sorrow, I ran across the following. It was meaningful to me and I believe it will speak to you as well. Nancy says there is something more important to Jesus than our bodily comfort and safety. Here is what she says about this.
Jesus knows we have a hard time grasping this more significant spiritual reality. Limited by these bodies and our earthly perspective, it is hard for us to imagine our eternal future and how the way we live now and what we believe now will impact that eternal reality. And so in our every day requests for safe travel and physical health, and in our more desperate prayers for healing or deliverance amid great difficulties, we try to apply to our bodies God's promises of protection that were intended for our souls. And when we do, we're often left disappointed.
When God doesn't seem to show up and protect us, we can quickly point the finger of blame, accusing him of falling down on the job. Until our value systems line up with his, until we value the eternal life of our souls more than the temporary life of our earthly bodies, we will continue to feel disappointment with God. 
God has not promised wholesale physical deliverance in this life for those who place their faith in him.  But he has promised to protect our souls for eternity. And really that is so much bigger, so much better.
I totally agree with the author about this. Everyone dies eventually. This morning we went to a memorial service for another member of our former church. Mac was 88 years old. His family was sad to see him go, but glad to know that he has joined his beloved wife who preceded him in death by several years. Yes, it is our souls that God protects for eternity, and I'm very glad of that.


We have so many people sharing with us on Spiritual Sundays now that it takes quite a while to visit all the links. I hope you will go there and visit as many as you can. You will be blessed. Here is the link: http://bloggerspirit.blogspot.com/

18 comments:

  1. Thanks be to God that he does protect our souls for eternity. We are so blessed by a loving God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by to encourage me! This is a good reminder to hold onto everything loosely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Protect our soul for eternity." What a beautiful thought! I have a daughter in Heaven and while her body wasn't protected on earth, her soul is in Heaven -- protected by the Almighty God!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte I love this post! So simply stated and yet so elegant and truthful. I too am glad God protects our souls for eternity! What a beautiful thought. As always my phamily could use loys of prayer. We have a difficult situation going on. So awful I can not talk about it. But ask for prayer. You are such a wonderful lady Blessings to you and yours. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so true Charlotte, When we look back on our lives the time has gone so quickly, But eternity is forever and so much more important. I know age has nothing to do with death yet the older I get the more important it is to relise where I will be after I leave this earth. AND..I will meet many of my Blogger friends there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Charlotte for this comforting thought. As Crystal Mary said, '...eternity is forever and so much more important.' God bless you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Charlote,

    thank you for sharing this.. it sure is meaningful to me too. i'm gonna find book....:)

    have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is comforting to know that no matter what happens, he protects our souls for eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, this is so much bigger. I'm going to add this to the top of books that I want to buy.
    God Bless and Hugs,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is important to know that the eternal matters so much more than our earthly lives. Yet, it is difficult at times to understand the meaning of various Scriptures, especially with the various interpretations floating around. The bottom line is to trust the Lord, for He loves us and knows best. His ways and His thoughts are so far above ours.
    Thank you for sharing from this book, Charlotte.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very well said. We need to keep our eyes on the prize--eternal life with our Lord and friends who have gone one. Thank you for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Charlotte,
    He is the protector of our souls and what assurance and peace it gives us to know that. Thank you for sharing this.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting Spiritual Sundays with Ginger. It sure has grown over the years! But how great to see the growth!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I needed this message today. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a busy lady if you visit all our blogs! Thank you for your always encouraging comments! In the short time I have been blogging, I have noted the growth of Spiritual Sundays, and have probably contributed to it by recommending it! Your blog today is kind of what my Rock4Today is going to be about next week...

    ReplyDelete
  16. love how SS is growing and I love being a part of it. Hope you have a great week....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really am touched by this post.. I had to keep rereading this sentence, "until we value the eternal life of our souls more than the temporary life of our earthly bodies, we will continue to feel disappointment with God." This is so true. My generation seems to be caught up in all of the "stuff" this world has to offer that we have lost focus. Trying to explain why I go to church to friends is sometimes like running into a brick wall. This is such a beautiful message and reassurance that I am on the right path for so many reasons.

    Blessings,
    Misty

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Charlotte, This was just what I needed as we deal with some very big issues in our extended family and what appears to be unanswered prayers for healing. I am going to send your post along to my family...my words would never have been sufficient.
    PS I linked the wrong photos to Spiritual Sundays...I think you viewed my photos of Iowa, not the verse I had intended. Oh well, your comment led me back to this post...and that was a God thing, not coincidence. God Bless and
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte