Sunday is Father's Day. I was just thinking how children look up to their fathers, at least in most cases. They think their dad can do just about anything. To them he is a "big" man. When they grow up they see him in a more realistic light. Our earthly fathers may not be as "big" as we once thought, but our Heavenly Father never gets smaller. In fact, as we grow older we understand more and more how big and how powerful He is.
Charles Allen in his little book entitled All Things Are Possible Through Prayer, says the trouble with a lot of people is their God is too small. Many times they don't really believe that God can take care of them like He says He will. He tells the story of a man in New York who died at the age of seventy. As a young man he married and opened a little shop on a side street. He and his wife lived in a tiny apartment on the East side. Six mornings a week he would get up, eat his breakfast, walk to the subway station and ride to his work. All day long he spent in his shop. Because he never had another clerk, he carried his lunch from home and ate on the job.
At closing time he would catch the subway back, eat his supper and soon go to bed. He was never a strong man so he rested in bed every Sunday. For fifty years that was his routine and then he died. When that man said "My city," he meant a tiny apartment, a subway train, and a shop on a side street. He never saw the Metropolitan Museum, or rode to the top of the Empire State Building, or mingled with the crowds on Fifth Avenue. "My city" was for him a very limited experience.
Personally I don't want my God to be limited to a small area of my life like New York was limited in the life of that man.
Charles Allen goes on to ask the question: When you say "My God," what do you mean? For St. Paul, "My God" meant one great enough to cover his entire life -- great enough to supply his every need. (Philippians 4:19)
Now the question is: How big is your God?
Please click HERE to go to our Spiritual Sundays blog for links to many inspirational posts.

Charlotte - What a good word! I alluded to this concept in my Father's Day post, too, shared on Spiritual Sunday. You're right, coming as little children, we expect our Father God to be big and able. How childlike our faith needs to be to always see Him that way.
ReplyDeleteJoy to you, lovely lady!
Miss Kathy
Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI agree with Miss Kathy's post above. Studying the names of God has been helping me see the bigness of God.
Thanks again for letting me join your link! (I introduced my sis to Spiritual Sundays, and see she successfully got her blog posted! Her blog is "Unexpected Journey 2011")
Thanks for this post! It' both challenge and reminder. Blessings!
ReplyDeleteOne of the best lessons I learned in my spiritual walk was that I can't keep God in a box! HE is so BIG, and just as HIS Word says can do more thank we could ever ask or imagine! HE IS SOOO BIG and SOOO GOOD!
ReplyDeleteMay you & Clif have a blessed family filled Fathers Day weekend!
Love to you both!
I'm with Paul...my God is big enough to cover everything even to the smallest tiniest detail. Thanks for this and hope your weekend is wonderful
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. Sadly, I do not have a relationship with my father...money, and his other children, from other wives, were much more important than me. I was never wanted in the first place, OTHER THAN BY GOD!!!! I know that I was put on this earth for a reason, and the only Father I really knew was my wonderful Grandfather, since his passing almost 40 years ago, I know that God has walked with me every step of the way, and is my Father each and every day. Through all my adversities in life, I've never given up on my faith, nor has God ever given up on me. So, this Father's Day, my love goes out first to God our Father, then to my beloved Grandfather who is in heaven watching over me. How I miss him!!!
ReplyDeleteJoni
Desert Dreaming
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this insightful post. Too often we limit God (and others) by relying on a predefined notion of our expectations. Knowing God liberates us from these limitations because we understand and believe that with God, all things are possible. He Himself asks the question, is anything too hard for God?
May we all experience the limitless ability of The Living God; He is Lord!
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
I'm so thankful that our God is a BIG God! The biggest and best Father of all.
ReplyDeleteThis is rich, Charlotte, and so very true. We limit God. The lack is not on His part. He promised to open the windows of heaven and pour out limitless blessings, if only we will meet the conditions. Thanks for this beautiful reminder.
ReplyDeleteHappy to be linking up today.
My God is so big it is going to take a lifetime and then some to discover it! Great thoughts here, Charlotte!
ReplyDeleteMy God is huge, I need him in every aspect of my life. How sad for this man.
ReplyDeleteGod Bless and Hugs,
Ginger
Oh Charlotte, I am asking God for some big things. Just reading this encouraged me to continue trusting.
ReplyDeleteBless you,
Pamela
Hi Charlotte, this was a wonderful analogy of God in our lives. Thank you for this lovely post.
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you today,
Jeanne
Thank you for sharing such a thought provoking post. I find, the more I seek God.. in His word, in prayer and praise.. the more and more I discover how BIG God really is. He is really quite amazing.
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Misty
My GOD is big!
ReplyDeleteGreat post Charlotte.
Hugs,
Kat
A great post, Charlotte, thank you. Blessings ~
ReplyDeleteHey Charlotte, so glad you got a chance to stop by Heart of the Home, and we look forward to getting to know you better and become great friends and sisters in christ..
ReplyDeleteMy God is truly an awesome God! Through him ALL things are possible. Not some. All! :)
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, You have shared some of the most awesome stories. I love this one. It makes me want to know God more!!
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteMy God can do anything!!! Now if I just knew how to help Him out by allowing Him to do what He's best at!!!
XO
Cindy
Charlotte, it's so nice to meet you...You have a wonderful blog full of wisdom......
ReplyDeleteI'll definitely be back for more visits....