I hope you're familiar with Tim Hansel's little book Keep On Dancin'. It is filled with short devotionals and I decided I'd share one of them here today. Thank you, Tim Hansel, for this inspiring book.
My times are in your hands. Psalm 31:15a
Avoiding the present moment has almost become a habit in our society. For the major part of our working lives we are taught to sacrifice the present for the future. When the future arrives, it becomes the present, and we must use it to prepare for the future. If this is lived out to its logical conclusion, we avoid enjoyment not only now but forever.
Avoid the temptation of wishing, hoping and regretting−−the most common tactics for avoiding the present. Abstain from the ritual of idealizing the future, which leads only to disappointment.
Invest in the present. The right time is any time. The best time is now. It is not necessary to surrender tomorrow or next year, but abandon yourself to God's presence and His will as it unfolds in your life moment to moment.
This moment is precious, Lord. You have given it to me and, along with myself, I give it back to You. - Tim Hansel
This reminds me of the saying that yesterday is gone forever, tomorrow may never come, and today is all we have. So, let's live today, and as Tim Hansel says, "Keep on dancin'."
Be sure to visit our Spiritual Sundays blog for lots of inspirational links. Those who share there are "the best". I love us.


Hi Charlotte:
ReplyDeleteI understand about the two blogs. I'm posting on my wordpress blog this week. Like you, I like things about blogger and wordpress...
I saw a quote on a Church marquee a while back...can't remember it exactly, but it went something like, "now is the future you dreamed of yesterday that will soon become the past."
Good post!
Joan
Hello dear Charlotte, As I read your encouraging post, I started humming "My Life is in your Hands." Here's a link to the song by Kirk Franklin:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIO5asigXvc
What a comfort to know that we don't need to worry or be afraid of anything. Promises for today, promises for a better tomorrow.
Hi Charlotte...I did that too for awhile...going back and forth between blogger and wordpress. I finally decided blogger was easier for me but I think all my blogger posts now are going through to wordpress.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard of Hansel but this is a good devotional. Thanks for it and I'm really grateful for you. Hope your weekend is great.
This is a good reminder for me. Unfortunately I spend too much time thinking about the past and wishing about the future. Although I am working hard to treasure each moment. ~ I love your blog design here and your header is beautiful. I've never used wordpress so I can't say, but I love blogger just fine.
ReplyDeleteCharlotte, I think about these things often. My third child is graduating from high school. Where did the years go?
ReplyDeleteI sometimes concentrate on my to-do list and weariness rather than the joy of each day. Thank you for the reminder.
This is a beautiful, timely post for me. Thank you so much. I appreciate all of your blogging and Spiritual Sundays so much!
ReplyDeleteGreat devotional...Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLove it!
This is one of my favorite songs "I don't worry about tomorrow, I just live from day to day...and I know who holds the future, and I know who holds my hand." Lovely reminder and such peace it gives me, to know God is in control of my life,
Much Blessings:)
Virginia
Very true, Charlotte! I need to be reminded that today is a gift from God.
ReplyDeleteOh, that's so very true, Charlotte. Wishing you a Happy Sunday!!!
ReplyDeleteXO
HI CHARLOTTE!!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry I have not popped in and visted you lately.
How are you????
I did not know there was another site for blogging. hmmmmm. makes me curious now!!!
Have a Blessed Sunday
hugs,
jamie
We do tend to idealize the future, don't we? It is so hard for life to live up to our expectations so we keep thinking that the future will be better. What a cycle we throw ourselves into. Thanks for the thought provoking post.
ReplyDeleteTime is precious, we are goverened by it but God is not. He always knows what is best for us, wouldn't it be wonderful to concentrate on Him and His ways!
ReplyDeleteWonderful post.
I loved Tim’s book (and other of his books too). So encouraging. "The right time is any time. The best time is now." Thanks, Charlotte, for the encouragement to stay in THIS moment, right where Jesus is.
ReplyDeleteI am so old that I dare not think about the future because it may be the nursing home. =)
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post very much. I really am thankful for the day in which I am in. Wish I had learned that earlier on.
Hello dear Charlotte, Yes the only time is now, and we are encouraged to RUSH through it. Its crazy the way people cannot do without a cell phone...we used to get on better without them. Everything is hurry hurry...Lately I stop and think on lovely memories of the past..
ReplyDeleteBut, you are so right..we need to just take one moment at at time and relish
the NOW. God Bless. xx
A beautiful post Charlotte. I, too, thought of the Kirk Franklin song. It became very special to me when mother was at the end of her life. I hope you are doing well and that you will have a lovely week. John and I have sold our home and God has led us to a new smaller place to make new memories in. We are very blessed and thankful for your prayers.
ReplyDeleteHi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI was just listening to an interview with an author who spoke about slowing down to experience the moment. How often have I allowed precious moments to elude me in my pursuit of career. I'm learning to apprecite these moments God gives me.
Thank you for sharing this devotional.
Blessings and peace.
MTJ
Charlotte, I will take this post to heart. I tend to look back to much and also to the future. I truly do need to be more in the present. I love both your blogs they are both so pretty.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Ginger
This was a wonderful post to read at the end of the day...much to think about for tomorrow. Thank you. (And I don't know how you maintain more than one such wonderful blogs)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that great devotional, Charlotte. Blessings ~
ReplyDeleteOur daughter's tombstone has the etched child in God's hand. This reminded my times are, too.
ReplyDeleteMy dil has a plaque on her wall that says something like "life is a gift. That's why it's called the present" So true. Sweet post.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this beautiful and encouraging post. I don't worry about the future but I do look back in the past from time to time just to remember the good times but I'm living in the present.
ReplyDeleteGod has spoken to me about this very issue. True and timely message. thanks Charlotte
ReplyDeleteDear Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteI was just visiting a friend's blog and I found yours! This post is wonderful...isn't our Lord so precious! Each and every day that He has given us is so important...we must never take it for granted. Thank you for reminding us of this!
Have a blessed evening,
Laura
Hi Charlotte,
ReplyDeleteAmen, what Tim has said is so true. thanks for sharing& Thank you so much for praying for Eliana.
Blessings,
~Myrna