Saturday, January 24, 2009

WHO NEEDS GOD?

I chose the subject of my post today from David Hocking's book "The Nature of God in Plain Language."

This book has lots of good stuff in it, but I was drawn to a paragraph with the heading Some People Don't Think They Need God!  That paragraph begins like this:

"In a materialistic culture as we have here in America, our 'security blanket' is often found in the things we possess. This gives us a feeling of self-worth and importance, and we relate more to the physical and material than the spiritual and unseen. In times of material prosperity, it is natural to feel that we do not need God. We are getting along just fine without Him--or so we think!"

God knew we would have a problem with this. I think that is one of the reasons in the book of Deuteronomy (8:11-14) Moses told the people of Israel the following. "Beware that you do not forget the Lord your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today, lest--when you have eaten and are full, and have built beautiful houses and dwelt in them and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and your gold are multiplied, and all that you have is multiplied; when your heart is lifted up, and you forget the Lord you God . . . ."

It is usually not in times of prosperity that people turn to God, it is in times of great need. Do you think it is possible that God is using the problems we are having now in America (financially and otherwise) to try to wake us up to look to Him for our well-being and not to our jobs, bank accounts and all of our things to make us feel secure? Just something for us to think about.  - Charlotte

I hope you will visit our Spiritual Sundays blog for links to more spiritual/inspirational posts. We also hope you will want to share a post from your own blog of this nature with us.

18 comments:

  1. I know that is my hope for some of my loved ones who don't have the personal relationship with the Lord. I pray that these difficult times may drive them to their knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Charlotte, I do think that God is using the problems in this country to try and wake up Americans and get them focused on him again. My prayer is that Americans truly will turn to God again. It seems that far too many of them have turned to other things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book. I am so guilty of this. When things are going well my time spent with God are much shorter. I need him in my life when life is good! Praise the Lord for he has blessed me so!
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charlotte, Thanks for sharing this. I pray that the people of our country will turn to god. When we think we are the ones in control everything goes wrong.

    What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
    Psalm 56:3 KJV

    Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post and good advice, Charlotte, thanks! We do need God all the time - in good times and bad.


    ~Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blessings Charlotte...I believe that you have spoken a great truth!

    Wonderful selection from the book to direct us to in this day & time.

    Yes, I do believe that God wants to drive us to our knees & wake us up to exactly what you stated.

    I'm so thankful my security is built on the ROCK & my HOPE, my salvation & my treasures are in
    Christ and the truths in His Word.
    His promises are written in GOLD & eternity...not the temporary!

    Thank you for your wisdom& sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope this country does turn to God in this time of stretching. So glad we do have the Hope in Him, in spite of what the world is doing at this time.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't it be fantastic if America turned to God? Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree. I think that Pride is the most common sin in the world. Our Father in Heaven always has a way to humble us if we will not humble ourselves.
    Thank you for the reminder.
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Charlotte,
    I completely agree; we humans are very fickle. Thanks for sharing and thanks for hosting Spiritual Sundays! Have a wonderful day.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have seen many people drawn closer to the Lord through trials. May our country turn to God during these times. Very timely post, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amen Charlotte, I have seen people turn to God in times of desperation and need, including myself :). Your book sounds very interesting, I will have to look it up :)

    Have a blessed Sunday,
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree! I too believe the trials in our live can become wonderful blessings as we turn to the Lord for answers. I don't have the reference right now that the 'These things too shall be for our good.'
    I made a retraction and added the Snoopes link. Thanks for letting me know. They are very inspirational people. I fixed a few of the obvious wrongs, but never the less a wonderful man with a great story to inspire all of us!
    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Charlotte,
    I am convinced my regular bouts of sadness are so I stay close to the Lord, like a thorn. In my loneliness, I turn to Him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, I believe the Lord uses adversity to draw us to Him. When all is fine and dandy some people never turn to Him.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've thought the same thing many times recently...

    my Dad use to say... "even an atheist calls to God on his death bed"...

    I'm featuring your post on my blog, "So, God are you listening"... hope that okay. I think yours is a message that many should read...

    blessings. Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Charlotte, I could not post a comment on your other blog so I thought I would post it here. Your awards are beautiful and well deserved. You are a faithful blogger.
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your visit. I am happy to join Spiritual Sunday.
    patsy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte