Saturday, January 10, 2009

SPIRITUAL SUNDAYS

Go in my name and because you believe others will know that I live.' Dance! Sing! Shout! Jump a pew! But don’t ever bore people and claim to be following Jesus."
 -- John Acuff, Country Lawyer 

I love this quote. I grew up in a religious tradition that didn't even believe in clapping hands in a worship service. We do that in the church we go to now but that's about as far as it goes as far as rejoicing in a service. Jump a pew??? NEVER! And I'm not really advocating that. I think that is carrying it a little far. The boring part is what I want to emphasize. The worship services at our church are definitely not boring. Should Christians be boing? I don't think so. Was Jesus boring? What do you think? Christians should be the happiest people in the world, and yet when people are around us do they get the impression that we are happy? Or do they get the feeling that we are just bored with life?  How can Christians be bored when they realize that they are children of the King?  I'm going to try to do better because really - I AM HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!! And I want everyone I come in contact with to know it.

I hope you will go to our Spiritual Sundays blog for links to spiritual/inspirational posts. I hope you will want to participate as well.


15 comments:

  1. You, without a doubt, are one of the happiest women I know. Rarely if ever, are you bored--and you are never boring. You are an example of what a Christian should be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just knowing who we are in Christ should make us happy. It amazes me the sour faces I see in people professing to be believers.
    Your new header is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte,
    I say Amen to both what you said in your post and what the lady above said! Knowing Jesus is the one thing in my life that helps keep me balanced and positive. My hubby is another. I cannot imagine knowing the Lord and not smiling! We have so much to be thankful for and much to smile about. We are King's kids and we should be a happy lot!
    Let's notify our faces! *smile*

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen anyone jump over a pew either but I'd love to see God move on people that way, if it really is and was God.

    I KNOW we are the happiest people on earth and we have more fun than those who don't know the JOY of the Lord. Just another of our many blessings.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting me Charlotte and notifying me of the problem with the comment - I've sorted it out now!!

    Thank you too for blog post - Judith

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do seem like a happy person and you have a nice personality. May your days always be bright. What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord! I agree with you. My daughter and I were clapping hands Sunday and as you know some people may not of liked it but you know what? We did! and so did a few other people who were clapping. Our church has come a long way but it still has a long way to go as well.
    God Bles,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do know we are happier than others who do not know the Lord - God is good, all the time!

    Good post!


    Blessings,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good thought. Sometimes Christians are busy telling people what we do NOT approve; instead, we should be enjoying the life Christ has given us. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Charlotte,

    I don't think it's going too far to jump a pew. I mean we get all painted up in crazy faces (not me) and act like maniacs for our favorite football team and we can't muster up a quiet "Amen" for our Lord who saved us from burning in fire and brimstone for eternity. I don't know...jumping a pew seems a bit mild mannered to me. Of course, I'm that one lone crazy girl who will stand up and raise my hands when no one else will. Satan often tries to sit me down by convincing me that I am just trying to gain attention for myself, but he's crazy. I just get so frustrated that people don't realize what they have been saved from and what a WONDERFUL SAVIOR WE HAVE. I love the quote and I wish more Christians would become like David and with wreckless abandon worship the King. Of course, there is a time and a place for everything, but the House of God seems like a pretty good place and a worship service seems like a good time to jump some pews. (Of course...I'm not "planning" to jump any today, but who knows...we'll see where the Spirit leads.) LOL!!

    Bless you dear sister,

    Never bored over here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been to a lot of churches where people are just too serious. I love our church. Our music is incredible and we all clap quite often. At some point each Sunday our ministers tells us to say hello to someone we don't know. Every one gets us and moves around. We end up hugging necks and saying hello to our friends too. We all feel like family and it's a wonderful feeling. Good post Charlotte.

    Hugs!
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christians should be happy, Charlotte. That's how they should attract others to the Lord. If we're sad sacks or dull, who would want what we have? The Good News is that... GOOD News! :-)

    Celebrating today...

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jump a pew! I think I'm tooo old :). I've always loved the big old organ myself, as well as old hymns. I think a good mix of old and new is good these days. Yes, we should all be very happy, I try but at times I fall short...thank you Jesus for being there to pick me up and remind me :)

    Blessings,
    Kathi :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do just what the Spirit leads me to do, if it be clapping hands, raising my arms to the Lord, jump a pew (HE just hasn't led me in that directioon yet..lol)and singing to the top of my lungs....I try to listen to HIM and not to others around me. My home church fellowship group is the best thing that ever happened to me...leading me towards a relationship with GOD that is very very close.
    Great post, C.
    love, bj

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Charlotte - I do hope you don't mind another award to add to your collection? hahaha but I have one on my site (Judith on Sunday) which I would like you to accept. Judith

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte