Tuesday, October 16, 2012

HELP FROM THE LORD

The following message was written by Lyndall Rothery and appeared in the Daily Devotionals for our 50th Year at Scottsdale Bible Church. 
I will lift up my eyes to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord the maker of Heaven and earth. (Psalm 101:1-2)
A few years ago our HIV/AIDS medical team drove to an isolated village to visit some of the volunteers we had trained to work in the community. It was a muddy drive in the hills. I was driving our big Toyota SUV. I can drive but my mechanical skills are close to zero. We had a wonderful visit and one of our Tanzanian teams led two people to Christ that day. We came out to our car rejoicing. 
But the car would not start. I was the only driver and the person with the most knowledge of cars! I tried starting it several times with no response and we were in a village with no gas stations or mechanics. I said to the group, "Let's pray and ask God to help us."
As soon as we finished praying a man came up to us and asked if we needed any help. Apparently he was a driver of the same type of SUV as ours and was on leave in the village. He was easily able to fix the problem with our car. 
We drove back filled with thanksgiving to God who had sent us help when we called to Him.

- Lyndall Rothery

I don't know about you, but this kind of testimony serve to build my faith in the power of prayer. How many times do we try to fix our problems on our own and fail to ask God's help? I know I have done it way too many times. But I also know by experience, that God has helped whenever I have asked Him for it.


I hope you will visit the Spiritual Sundays blog for links to many inspirational posts. Just click HERE to go there.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Charlotte, My husband and I had a situation a bit similar to that last year on our way to a Disaster Relief mission, but it was another person's car that was having difficulty. We came upon a lady stranded in a storm, and we couldn't help her get her auto to work right. I laid my hands on her auto and prayed in desperation asking God to help. He did, and we were able to safely escort into her home town near Council Bluffs, IA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in the nick of time God sent his "angel" to help get the car started. Amazing how God protects and assists his beloved children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It encourages me, too. Too many times I try everything I know to do and then pray, like I'd be bothering God. It's something I've been working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is indeed a wonderful testimony. So many times we have not because we ask not. Thanks for sharing.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. hearing these kinds of amazing 'miracles' always inspires my faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such sweet encouragement for all of us! I especially appreciate being able to pray with my grandchildren - as I tell them, they are my sweet little prayer warriors and prayer partners. Together we are learning to drop in and out of prayer whenever something happens that needs prayer. I pray this will be a lifelong habit for them - and me - for an eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this devotion and testimony of God's faithfulness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stories like this are so encouraging, especially when faith is somewhat flagging. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte