Friday, September 7, 2012

Light of the World

Light of the world you stepped down into darkness 
Opened my eyes let me see 
Beauty that makes this heart adore You 
Hope of a life spent with You 

These are the opening lines of a song I always enjoy singing. Jesus said He was the light of the world. We are also to be lights in our dark world. How can we be lights in our dark world if our government or any government is determined to take God out of the world. Oh, they think it's OK to talk about God, but only in churches. Any mention of God might offend someone if it is uttered in our schools, or anywhere else except church. I just hate the way the left has changed the concept of freedom of religion to freedom from religion. The founding fathers intended for us to have freedom to practice our religion without government interference. 

I thought it was so sad when the Democratic National Convention left all mention of God out of their platform. This is the first year this has happened. There was such a backlash about this that they decided they had better put it back in along with the acknowledgement that Jerusalem is the capital of Israel. So, they had a vote on it. The no's were as loud or louder than the yes's when they took the vote. So, the guy in charge says "Let's try this again." He tried it three times and evidently decided it wasn't going to change. The no's were still as loud or louder than the yes's so he declared it "passed" in spite of the opposition. It was supposed to be passed on a 2/3 majority vote which obviously was not the case. 

I have a hard time understanding why the left is so concerned about offending a few atheists but are willing to offend millions of Christians. We need to pray that this trend will be reversed and that once again God is welcome in our schools and everywhere else in society. Let's not try to keep Him locked up in our churches. Of course that is preposterous to think we can do that anyway. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. 

I hope we will all try to shine our light every day. Many are doing just that by sharing their faith and inspiration by linking to the Spiritual Sundays blog. I hope you go there and visit as many links as you can and you may also want to link a post on your blog, if you have a blog. Just click HERE to go there.
P.S. After I posted this, I realized that it is precisely because of the problems I stated above that we can be lights in this world. The darker it gets, the more light "shows up". Did you ever turn the lights on in your house in the daytime and hardly tell the difference, but if you turn them on at night, they shine brightly. As our world gets darker, let's let our lights shine more brightly.

17 comments:

  1. I love your post and totally agree. Your 'afterthought' is certainly a revelation from the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last paragraph is beautiful, and memorable. God is Almighty, Sovereign! His will shall be done! Amen!

      PS I have a contribution for Spiritual Sunday this time. :-)

      Delete
    2. The Linky Link is closed! You can find it on my blog, though. :-)

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with you on this post. I am reminded of a song that says take our candle and run to the darkness to seek out the lost. Sometimes we feel comfortable just lighting our own homes, but we need to run in to the darkness of the world and share. Many blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this. What a sad reflection that the direction of our country is taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a good read, dear Charlotte (a lot of energy there! :)). Yes, I've heard from an acquaintance in Canada that some schools in North America prohibit the mention of Jesus Christ and the Bible. If they would not listen to us, what can we do? If they deny the Lord Jesus now, the Lord will deny them also at the judgment. How sad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a very sad thing and it happens everywhere. Especially her in Norway.If one talks about God, they thought youa are crazy. And especially if yous ay that you go to a prayer meeting. How sad it is. Anuway, like you said, we jsut have to be a light in darkness. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I appreciate your comments. Your blog is so beautiful. I think the background you chose illustrates your point, with the sun shining over the deep shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our God reigns even where he is not mentioned. Our old hymns comfort our hearts as we view the world in general turn their backs. God takes it all in and he will have the final say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is one of my fave songs....love it b/c it really hits home...And Charlotte...you definitely are a light shining in the dark...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Important points - and especially the P.S. You are so right about that! Have a blessed week full of God's sweet encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen! Thanks for writing about this, Charlotte. I think he also did not want to offend another large group of people attending the convention this year. Lord, help us let our lights shine for you, for all the world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog does look very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, yes! Thank you for shining your light through this post. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm reminded of John 1:5....
    The light shines in the darkness,
    and the darkness can never extinguish it.
    Our country needs our faithful prayers more than ever.
    Thanks Charlotte!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you. In trying to be politically correct, they made fools of themselves. That vote was ridiculous. And, to insert Israel and God back into the game plan only points to their placating and insincerity!

    Well written, Charlotte!

    Blessings, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte