Sunday, July 1, 2012
God Bless America?
Patriotism is being displayed in the United States this week as flags will be flying all over the place in celebration of our independence. Americans have been celebrating since way back in 1776. There are some in our country now though, who think we should not honor this day, or the flag. Seems it is getting more popular with the PC crowd (and I don't mean personal computer) to want to do away with any displays of allegiance to America. Who would have ever thought that saying the Pledge of Allegiance in our schools would ever be challenged? They managed to take the Bible and God out of our public schools. Next it will probably be against the law to display the American flag in our classrooms. After all, it might offend somebody. Well, I know someone who is terribly offended, and the liberal left couldn't care less. That someone is me. I am offended that in order to keep from offending one person that thousands, and probably millions, like me are offended.
Back to the title of this post. My opinion is that God has blessed America like He has blessed no other country in the history of the world. He has blessed America because it was founded on the principles found in His book. He was acknowledged in our government. He was acknowledged in our schools, in our homes and in our churches and synagogues. In God We Trust has been our national motto. Now I'm wondering, "Is God withdrawing his blessings from America?" I was impressed with the response that Billy Graham's daughter Anne Lotz made after 9/11. When asked why she thinks God would allow something like this to happen, Lotz replied, "I say God is also angry when he sees something like this. I would say also for several years now Americans in a sense have shaken their fist at God and said, God, we want you out of our schools, our government, our business, we want you out of our marketplace. And God, who is a gentleman, has just quietly backed out of our national and political life, our public life. Removing his hand of blessing and protection. We need to turn to God first of all and say, God, we're sorry we have treated you this way and we invite you now to come into our national life. We put our trust in you. We have our trust in God on our coins, we need to practice it." I certainly agree with her. I hope America wakes up before it's too late. If we want God to bless America, America had better start blessing God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


We had special prayer for our country in the worship service this morning. The promise is still true...if we humble ourselves and pray...He will hear!
ReplyDeleteIt's so easy to take things for granted in the US. I pray often for America and it's leaders to do the right thing.
ReplyDeleteThis needs to be said again and again! Personally, I'm one of those who prefers "God Bless America" v. "The Star Spangled Banner." (Both give me goosebumps, but the former resonates in my heart.)
ReplyDeleteI heard Anne Graham Lotz make that statement and I have to say ...I agree with her.
ReplyDeleteOur country was founded on Christian principles and we have deviated from that so much.
May God have mercy. And may we who claim to be Christians pray and turn from our ways that are contrary to what the Word says. I also think we need to pray for our President even if we don't agree with his policies. We have the choice as to who we vote for next election but in the meantime, we can pray for our country.
Blessings and love,
Debbie
Amen to everything that was said, in your entry and in the comments! I have nothing to add; you said it all!
ReplyDeleteA very thought provoking post and quotes...God bless.
ReplyDeleteThank you for this post, Charlotte. I was so shocked when I substitute taught in an Indiana high school to see that NOT ONE student joined in the pledge to the flag. All we heard about was "ONE WORLD".
ReplyDeleteYes yes Yes to what you said. I think we're in a very scary time....when people are saying the terrible things are good and good things are terrible. Pretty scary....We really need to get back to basics....the God basics.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't have said it better. Great post.
ReplyDeleteThis is the first I've heard about anyone not wanting to celebrate Independence Day. Just when you think you've heard it all...
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with your statement, "If we want God to bless America, America had better start blessing God." Amen!
I agree too, we are blessed to live in this country. Just today we watched CBS Sunday Morning and they told of a woman who just became a citizen and the work she is doing for refugee children here in the USA...she had tears in her eyes as she finally was able to call the US home. What a great reminder for me too.
ReplyDelete