New Heaven and New Earth
When I posted the info about Charles Spurgeon, I promised to share some more from the book We Shall See God by Randy Alcorn. What a great little book this is. I know I said it before, but I'll say it again. I like the chapter called Homesick for Eden. Here are some excerpts from Spurgeon's sermons delivered in 1860.
People are not the only ones who suffer under the Curse; the Earth itself experiences the devastation of the Fall in the form of thorns, blights, and disasters of every kind. But one day Christ will come to restore the Earth to its rightful state. Then it will no longer groan in the pains of childbirth but will live in joyful celebration of its new life, which will never again be taken from it.
After the first humans sinned, God cursed the Earth.
When Christ came into the world, evil people twisted a crown made of the cursed thorn and put in our his head and made him king of the Curse, and in that day he purchased the redemption of the world from its curse. I believe, and I think it is warranted by Scripture, that when Christ shall come a second time, this world will become everywhere as fertile as the Garden of Paradise used to be.
"The whole creation," says Paul, has been groaning together in the pains of childbirth" (Romans 8:22). Groaning for what? Groaning and waiting for the redemption, when this world shall be washed of all her sin. Her curse shall be removed, her stains taken away, and this world shall be as fair as when God first formed her from his mind, as when, like a glowing spark, forged from the anvil by the eternal hammer she first flashed in her orbit. This Christ has redeemed, this Christ shall most assuredly redeem.
And then Alcorn gives his thoughts on the subject.
We are homesick for Eden. We're nostalgic for what is implanted in our hearts. It's built into us, perhaps at a genetic level. We long for what the first man and woman once enjoyed―a perfect and beautiful Earth and free and unstained relationship with God, one another, animals, and the environment. Every attempt at human progress has been an attempt to overcome what was lost in the Fall. If God's plan were merely to take mankind to the present Heaven or to a heaven that is the dwelling place of spirit beings, there would be no need for new heaven s and a New Earth.
Upon creating the heavens and the Earth, God called them "very good" (Genesis 1:31). Never once has he renounced his claim on what he made. He isn't going to abandon his creation; he's going to restore it. We won't go to heaven and leave earth behind. Rather, God will bring Heaven and Earth together into the same dimension, with no wall of separation, no armed angels to guard Heaven's perfection from sinful mankind (Genesis 3:24). God's perfect plan is "to bring unity to all things in heaven and oin earth under Christ" (Ephesians 1:10, NIV).
Wow, I don't know about you, but this really makes me look forward to heaven more than if I were to go there as a disembodied spirit drifting around on clouds as some have envisioned heaven. No wonder so many people have no desire to go there. Compared to a New Heaven and a New Earth, the "cloud" theory does sound a little boring. Although, if this were God's plan, I'm sure there would nothing boring about it. I just agree with Spurgeon and Alcorn. We are promised a new body like Jesus' resurrected body. A new body - a new Heaven and a new Earth - what could be better? I sure can't think of anything.
Now, if you didn't come here from the link on the Spiritual Sundays blog, I hope you will go there and read what others have shared by clicking on the various links. And you might even want to link there too. Click HERE or on the icon at the left to directly there.
I agree that "heaven" may not be our final home, but I do expect to go there as I wait for the Lord to gather all his saints. It is speculation to some extent as to how long the wait will be and the events that will follow before the earth is finally restored and the holy city comes down. Not knowing is alright with me, for it will truely be glorious no matter what. Oh yes the links do turn blue!
ReplyDeleteI long more and more for heaven the older I get. However it is, I know it will be good because Jesus will be there!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I just posted about this on Sunday!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, it made me joyous here, but homesick for there.
I love how it said, Alcorn put it ... "We are homesick for Eden."
ReplyDeleteYes, words put to my 'ache.'
I am with you:)
And so happy that my true citizenship is heaven.
Blessings & Peace <3
Beautiful words. We have so much to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteJocelyn @
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/
I can't think of anything better, either. This made me thing of the song which says, "I want to see my Savior first of all."
ReplyDeleteWhat a delightful visit. And I must say, with at least three of us sharing encouraging Bible verses about heaven, including for our kids and grand children, you know God is nudging in a special way. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!!! :) Thanks for a sweet blessing.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for this post and Spiritual Sundays...It has certainly been a blessing to me!
ReplyDeleteWhen I praise and worship the Lord, sometimes, I imagine that I am in that "new heaven and new earth", especially when I'm feeling weary and discouraged. And in those times, I imagine myself walking in a perfectly manicured garden with lots of flowers, esp. huge, pink roses, trees, flowing waters, etc. and feeling perfect joy and peace. I imagine walking with my Lord and Savior there, and this always brings tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteI never imagine "heaven" as eternally boring place.
Thank you for a beautiful reminder of what is to come. Spurgeon was a wonderful man. Isn't it awesome that he is still teaching us?
ReplyDelete