Friday, April 20, 2012

Charles Spurgeon

Charles Spurgeon 1834-1892
Charles Spurgeon. I knew the name. I knew he was a preacher who lived a long time ago. That's really all I knew about him. Then I discovered a book that Randy Alcorn recently wrote called We Shall See God. This is when I found out more about Charles Spurgeon.

Charles Spurgeon lived from 1834 until 1892. He was England's best known preacher for most of the second half of the 19th century. He served for 30 years at the Metropolitan Tabernacle in London, and it is estimated that during his lifetime he preached to more than 10 million people. His collected sermons fill sixty-three volumes and remains one of the best selling series of writings in history. I say WOW WOW WOW! And that without rapid transportation, modern audio speaker systems, TV or internet.

Charles Spurgeon preaching at Metropolitan Tabernacle in London.
Now, back to Randy Alcorn's book. This is a small book but packed with lots of good stuff. He has taken excerpts from some of Spurgeon's sermons on heaven and given his thoughts and comments about them. I intended to share something from that book in this post, but now I'm thinking I will save it for the next post. There are a lot of things in the book that I would like to share. Are you familiar with Randy Alcorn's book called Heaven? I think it is one of the best books I've ever read. If you haven't read it, you really should. You will probably have a whole new perspective on the subject. I know I did.

I'm sharing this for Spiritual Sundays. Click HERE to go to that blog to find links to many inspirational posts. You may want to share a post on your own blog by linking it there.


13 comments:

  1. I've never read Alcorn's book but I would like to. I read a biography of Spurgeon awhile back and finally learned more about who he was. What a mighty man of God! So encouraged by his faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book, Heaven, just haven't started to read it yet.

    I have read some of Spurgeon's sermons before. They are very deep. Isn't it amazing how the crowds came in especially without modern sound helps!

    This post makes me I think of Billy Graham and how he's approaching the latter part of his days here on earth. Such great men of courage and how they lived their lives out fulfilling the call.

    Blessings to you! In Him, Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Charles Spurgeon. I get his daily devotionals. I signed up for them some time past.

    The men of our church are ready Randy Alcorn's book, Heaven. I haven't read it yet.

    I had never heard of Randy Alcorn before this year. I heard about him through one of my former students who had worked for him some years ago. I am anxious to read some of his works.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the writings of Spurgeon and Alcorn, but I haven't read the Heaven book. Looking forward to your posts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlotte:

    I have heard a lot of good things about Randy's book on Heaven. I have never read it, but hope to be able to do so this summer.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for recommending these books, Charlotte. I want to read them! May you have a blessed week. Thanks again for Spiritual Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treat to read this. I love all of Randy Alcorn books and my grandkids and I are currently enjoying reading several of his on Heaven - two are for the kids, the rest for me, but then I share bits and pieces from them. Such joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Randy Alcorn's books (Safely Home is my favorite). My sister lost her husband 3 years ago and his book on heaven has been a blessing to her. She misses Ray's prayer was was comforted to read that Alcorn said our loved ones will be doing what the Lamb is doing. And He's interceding for us.

    We have the complete works of Spurgeon. He was a great man.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog. Charles Spurgeon (and Oswald Chambers) are two of my favorite writers. Mr. Spurgeon had such insight into living with illness as he himself suffered and I often find great comfort reading his works. Thanks for bringing him to the attention of others. Please feel free to visit my blog if you'd like: http://fionab-lessonslearnedfromlife.blogspot.com/

    God bless,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will check out Randy Alcorn's Heaven in Amazon. I've seen it advertised in Christianbook.com but never thought of having it.

    (Thank you for the heartwarming comment you left for me, dear Charlotte. It brought a broad smile in my face as I was having breakfast).

    Have a blessed week,
    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Randy Alcorn's book called "Heaven" after my mother died. It was a comfort to me. I didn't know about this book on Spurgeon so thanks for writing about it. I look forward to reading more on your blog about the book.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have used Randy Alcorn's books in our Couples Bible Study and have really enjoyed them. I wasn't familiar with Charles Spurgeon until my kids went to school at Wheaton College and told me about him. I look forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you very much for this recommendation!! This is my favorite type of book! thank you!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    I am going Heaven.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. I appreciate lovely comments so please leave a note and come back again for a visit every chance you get.
Hugs & Blessings,
Charlotte